Current status of Guantanamo dentention center? Will it close by 1/20/17?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:52:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of Guantanamo dentention center? Will it close by 1/20/17?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of Guantanamo dentention center? Will it close by 1/20/17?  (Read 590 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:08 PM »

Does anyone know what the current status of the Guantanamo detention center is, especially how many inmates remain?

Also... do you think it will it close (or be empty) by 1/20/17, when Obama leaves office??
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:25:52 AM »

It's going to be open for as long as possible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:29:36 AM »

Even if th Democrats take both the House and Senate this November, there is no way that Guantanamo closes in the seventeen days it might be possible.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »

Even if th Democrats take both the House and Senate this November, there is no way that Guantanamo closes in the seventeen days it might be possible.
But the President can still transfer prisoners out of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 05:09:06 AM »

But the President can still transfer prisoners out of it.
For the most part, they can't be transferred to the general prison population and until current restrictions are repealed, necessary preparations for a transfer can't be made. I may be wrong, but I don't think Obama is so shallow he'd authorize shortcuts with potential security flaws just to meet an arbitrary deadline. Especially not when the failure to do so would give his Democratic successor a guaranteed accomplishment for her first hundred days.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »

Does anyone know what the current status of the Guantanamo detention center is, especially how many inmates remain?
a biased source (in the direction of closing it) says 91 still there, 37 of which "have been recommended for release by high-level governmental review processes", whatever that means.  And I see those two numbers over and over.

I'm guessing (hoping) there are good reasons for keeping those extra 37 there.  Perhaps it's because they can't go home or they'll be killed, and there ain't no place else for them?  For the remaining 54 actual "bad guys" I suppose a facility on actual US soil would be better, but I'm not really sure why.  What's the difference other than accessibility (us to them and them to us)?  Would Puerto Rico count or would it need to be an actual state?  So one of the tiny islands on Hawaii then?  Reopen Alcatraz?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »

We've been transferring a lot to island nations in the Pacific over the years, like Palau.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jun/10/palau-guantanamo-detainees-housed
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

We've been transferring a lot to island nations in the Pacific over the years, like Palau.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jun/10/palau-guantanamo-detainees-housed

And prison ships
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »

My guess is no.   I honestly dont grasp  the complaints liberals have with the facility.   (I can imagine, i simply dont hold them myself).   Its expensive, appparently.   A supermax in the us wouldnt be?   There is no tangible evidence to convict people of crimes against the country....  im not cool with letting them go on that basis..   if there are foreign, non uniformed fighters, percieved by the us gov as being so dangerous it is worth 100s k. Dollars per year to detain them, well  i heir or the cautious side and say.  I have no problem with guantanamo.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »

There is no tangible evidence to convict people of crimes against the country....  im not cool with letting them go on that basis..

Yeah, screw due process, amirite?
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

Due process is something we provide to people who reside in our country with the permisdion of the government.   Its a perk, so to speak.   Have the gitmo prisoners earned, or deserved via their combat against this country in the battle-field, the same benefit of the doubt we might give to... o.j.  simpson for instance.

FYI, just because i am new... empsthy for terrorists is one of my most illiberal positions.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies