Kerry tries to defeat Bush again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Kerry tries to defeat Bush again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry tries to defeat Bush again  (Read 2683 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »

As reported by Aljazeera:
John Kerry announced Thursday that he intends to present Congress with The Downing Street Memo, reported last month by the London Times.

Failed presidential candidate Kerry advised that he will begin the presentation of his case for President Bush's impeachment to Congress, on Monday.

see: http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=8681

First, Amnesty International gets on Bush's case now Kerry.
Will what's left of MSM follow Kerry's lead, or will this only provide the Republicans with a new motivation for aggressive fund raising?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »

Comming from Aljazeera, I doubt this is true.

If it is, then Kerry is really trying to destroy the party.  I'm ashamed anyone is supporting those amnesty international people.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »

Aljazeera

...Michael Moore

......The Democratic Underground.

I will not  believe it till somebody with unimpeachable journalist credentials starts to play the story.

When is Dan Rather doing his first story again on 60 minutes...?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »

It's Aljazeera, they'd love nothing more than our government to collapse. They probably would have supported the impeachments of A. Johnson and Clinton.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 06:15:20 PM »

I don't believe it because I think don't think Kerry is willing to ruin his political legacy.

He also promised when he conceded on November 3, that he wanted all Americans to get behind President Bush.  He may not agree with his policies, but he does not want to send his beloved country that he "fought" for to be thrown into a political and economical upheaval.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 06:23:40 PM »

The Downing memo obviously deserves more attention. The American media has not been doing its job of reporting on such a newsworthy memo, so Senator Kerry will be doing so. Obviously Bush isn't going to be impeached, you only get impeached when a majority of the House dislikes you (even a lot of Republicans admit that). And impeachment isn't that big a deal, because a two-thirds majority of the Senate is need to actually remove you.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 06:27:10 PM »

I don't believe it because I think don't think Kerry is willing to ruin his political legacy.

He also promised when he conceded on November 3, that he wanted all Americans to get behind President Bush.  He may not agree with his policies, but he does not want to send his beloved country that he "fought" for to be thrown into a political and economical upheaval.

Rep John Conyers has sent a letter to Bush along with the signatures of 88 other members of Congress to adress the information in the Downing Memo.  This isn't something that was started by Al Jeezera.  It was actually first released in Britain on May 1st & various British officials did not dispute the autehncity of the memo.  Its a shame the U.S media hasn't covered this issue more.  Its something that definatley should be investigated.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 06:47:33 PM »

What the hell does that memo have to do with anything?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2005, 10:41:04 PM by Winfield »

John Kerry has a great big "L" imprinted on his forehead, and he can't get rid of it!

If true, this story only accentuates what a big "LOSER" Kerry really is!

LOSER, LOSER, LOSER!

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 10:15:54 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2005, 10:24:39 PM by jfern »

I will not  believe it till somebody with unimpeachable journalist credentials starts to play the story.

Well, we can rule out you.

UPDATE:

Daniel Inouye (Hawaii), not that anybody actually believed him, has ALREADY broken his word - despite signing on to the deal to bring the Owen Nomination to the floor, he actually voted to sustain the fillibuster in tonights vote..

Hmmm... breaking a high profile deal in under 24 hours... is that a record...?

BUSTED! He wasn't there, you liar.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00127

It got a lot of coverage from respectable media .... in the UK. Of course it'd be too much to expect a Republican like you to be aware of that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 10:20:25 PM »

As far as I can tell, that headline is a blatant lie, plain and simple.  I can't sugarcoat this accusation.

After some research, here's what John Kerry has actually said about the memo:

"When I go back [to Washington] on Monday, I am going to raise the issue [of the Downing Street Memo].  I think it's a stunning, unbelievably simple and understandable statement of the truth and a profoundly important document that raises stunning issues here at home."

Number of references made to the possibility of impeaching George W. Bush: 0.

Make of what he said above as you will, but he's not calling for Bush's impeachment.

There is a call for the impeachment of Bush, but it's not coming from Kerry.  It's coming from - guess who - Ralph Nader, who had the following to say:

"It is time for Congress to investigate the illegal Iraq war as we move toward the third year of the endless quagmire that many security experts believe jeopardizes US safety by recruiting and training more terrorists.  A Resolution of Impeachment would be a first step."

al-Jazeera's attempt to link what Kerry had to say with Nader's call for impeachment is wrong, at best, and a blatant, intentional fabrication, at worst.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 10:44:23 PM »

"When I go back [to Washington] on Monday, I am going to raise the issue [of the Downing Street Memo].  I think it's a stunning, unbelievably simple and understandable statement of the truth and a profoundly important document that raises stunning issues here at home."

There is nothing interesting in that document. He's just going to use the brain dead statement of some irrelevant guy to bash Bush, regardless of whether he supports impeachment or not.

The man's a joke.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »

There is nothing interesting in that document. He's just going to use the brain dead statement of some irrelevant guy to bash Bush, regardless of whether he supports impeachment or not.

The man's a joke.

Stuff about the Intelligence possibly being "fixed" is not interesting???
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 11:56:05 PM »

Maybe he can vote against funding our military again just like Cheney.  John Kerry is among LAST who should be talking about principles.  The only reason I hope he'll put his ass in the 08 race is to take votes away from Hillary in the snow-covered primary states.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »

jfern, I have a funny feeling that you don't listen to UK news all that often either.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 12:09:38 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2005, 12:13:04 AM by The Vorlon »

UPDATE:

Daniel Inouye (Hawaii), not that anybody actually believed him, has ALREADY broken his word - despite signing on to the deal to bring the Owen Nomination to the floor, he actually voted to sustain the fillibuster in tonights vote..

Hmmm... breaking a high profile deal in under 24 hours... is that a record...?

BUSTED! He wasn't there, you liar.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00127
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually I did make a mistake.. he choose not to vote.... he was present... but he did not support the deal he signed on to...

I stand corrected !

Nice to see you still active and your fiesty self Mr. JFern...

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 12:20:11 AM »

Actually I did make a mistake.. he choose not to vote.... he was present... but he did not support the deal he signed on to...

I stand corrected !

Nice to see you still active and your fiesty self Mr. JFern...

No, he was not there. If he had been there, his vote would be listed as "Present" like that of Senator Steven's vote on the actual confirmation vote. "Not voting" means you're not in the Senate chambers when the vote is taken.  He also was not at the "gang of 14" press announcement.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00128
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 01:02:55 AM »

For anyone who's too lazy to find the text of the Downing Street Memo, it can be found here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html

Note that there are three pages; links to the second and third can be found at the bottom of that webpage.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 04:17:44 PM »

The man's a joke.

From some brain dead crook who has no way of knowing anything about it? No, you are correct, it is not interesting.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 11:11:48 PM »

The man's a joke.

From some brain dead crook who has no way of knowing anything about it? No, you are correct, it is not interesting.

Brain Dead Crook??  The British GOVERNMENT has not denied that this is autehntic.  Maybe it will turn out to be nothing (if investgated correctly I doubt it), but it is somethuing that should get attention & be looked into
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 03:01:43 AM »

Brain Dead Crook??  The British GOVERNMENT has not denied that this is autehntic.  Maybe it will turn out to be nothing (if investgated correctly I doubt it), but it is somethuing that should get attention & be looked into

Ditto for the Bush adminstration. The memo is fact.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:52 AM »

The memo has a lot of credibility issues (not to say it isn't fake, but just not official), which is why it hasn't had much of an impact in the US as it has in the UK.  Supposively there is an "Impeach Bush" site/movement based solely on this memo, and it is looking to be a rather weak event.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 09:54:09 AM »

The man's a joke.

Why should we care whether the memo is authentic or not (assuming that means it exists)? That gives it no credibility at all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »

Again, the memo is fact.

It's actually only one document in a long list of documents showing that Bush was planning to invade Iraq since 1999.

If he'd only spent as much time pre-9/11 reading memos about terrorism as he spent planning an invasion of Iraq, we wouldn't be in this mess.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/6/5/184322/3073
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 04:02:30 PM »

It's actually only one document in a long list of documents showing that Bush was planning to invade Iraq since 1999.
1999?  Big deal.  Clinton planned to invade Iraq in 1998, but Saddam cut a deal with the UN and it never happened.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
--Bill Clinton, February 17, 1998
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies