Visa waiver threat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Visa waiver threat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Visa waiver threat  (Read 505 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »

Viewed an interview with former Secret Service Agent Dan Bongino, who made the following comment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is anything being done by our government to close this security hole and prevent someone from taking advantage of this rather obvious path into the United States? If so, what? If not, why not?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »

Roll Eyes
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »

On the contrary, I'm quite pleased that among the many great things that resulted in Obama's trip to Argentina, one is that the process has started to return to how everything was during the 90's (no visas required). Visa waiver is going to make a comeback Cheesy
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »

There are so many gross misunderstandings in the OP that I don't even know where to begin.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

Viewed an interview with former Secret Service Agent Dan Bongino, who made the following comment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is anything being done by our government to close this security hole and prevent someone from taking advantage of this rather obvious path into the United States? If so, what? If not, why not?
You would be a terrible teacher.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »

There are so many gross misunderstandings in the OP that I don't even know where to begin.

Sorry, is the summary provided by Dan Bongino wrong? I acknowledge not knowing much about this subject; I figured an ex Secret Service guy would know what he was talking about...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2016, 09:17:47 PM by Santander »

Sorry, is the summary provided by Dan Bongino wrong? I acknowledge not knowing much about this subject; I figured an ex Secret Service guy would know what he was talking about...
Most European countries have stricter nationality laws than the US, and going from being a refugee to becoming a citizen takes a very long time and may not even be possible in some countries. It would be even more difficult for someone who ended up in Europe with shoddy documentation.

There are legitimate concerns that radicalized/dangerous people with EU passports may enter the US and do something terrible, but the idea of Syrian "refugees" becoming naturalized EU citizens for the purpose of attacking the US is unrealistic. Terrorists becoming Canadians in order to attack the US is perhaps more realistic, but that's a different can of worms altogether. (Canada is not a VWP country)
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:37 PM »

Most European countries have stricter nationality laws than the US, and going from being a refugee to becoming a citizen takes a very long time and may not even be possible in some countries. It would be even more difficult for someone who ended up in Europe with shoddy documentation.

There are legitimate concerns that radicalized/dangerous people with EU passports may enter the US and do something terrible, but the idea of Syrian "refugees" becoming naturalized EU citizens for the purpose of attacking the US is unrealistic. Terrorists becoming Canadians in order to attack the US is perhaps more realistic, but that's a different can of worms altogether. (Canada is not a VWP country)

I'm more concerned about the fact that Syrian passports can no longer be relied upon. There was an NPR article 6 months ago, as well as a report in the Washington Post a few months back, both of which talk about the issue. Even in the abstract, being unable to rely on the papers issued by a given country is a bit problematic, don't you think? Are you saying that the attention being paid to this issue is misplaced?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »

Who would even want a Syrian passport, especially since they're apparently worthless, if the OP is to be believed? And anyway, passports are only good for identification (not for entry) if they don't have a visa in them. Why not just show up in Europe and say that you're fleeing from Syria?

But anyway, the terrorist threat from refugees is vastly overstated. American and European citizens becoming radicalized over the Internet or byof deviant clerics who preach violence and hatred is a far greater threat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies