EURO 2016 Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:54:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  EURO 2016 Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EURO 2016 Thread  (Read 9309 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: March 26, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Yay!

I like the 24-team format mostly, although I would've gone with 4 groups of 6 instead of 6 of 4 (yes, I know that adds more games, but it puts a higher premium on doing good in the group stage, instead of letting second-to-lasts go through). Anyone who thinks it makes qualifying too easy should take one look at the Netherlands.

Germany, France, and Spain are obviously favorites, I'd say. My money's on Deutchland--I never should've doubted them in Brazil. Iceland's a nice story, and an interesting one is Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Friends (i.e. Sweden) trying to do something good in Zlatan's last major tournament in the nation Zlatan plays in.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:01:52 AM »

Yay!

I like the 24-team format mostly, although I would've gone with 4 groups of 6 instead of 6 of 4 (yes, I know that adds more games, but it puts a higher premium on doing good in the group stage, instead of letting second-to-lasts go through). Anyone who thinks it makes qualifying too easy should take one look at the Netherlands.

Germany, France, and Spain are obviously favorites, I'd say. My money's on Deutchland--I never should've doubted them in Brazil. Iceland's a nice story, and an interesting one is Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Friends (i.e. Sweden) trying to do something good in Zlatan's last major tournament in the nation Zlatan plays in.

The thing is that apart from Zlatan the team is not that good. In a few years that will hopefully change (we won the UEFA under-21 last year, so the Olympics is looking more promising, might be with Zlatan as three overage players are allowed). Currently Belgium has a very good team (http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/), so they might have a chance as well. Had a beer with a Belgian guy this weekend and he was quite sure that they would beat us, so a victory in that game would be nice. Though, under the right conditions 2-2 would be quite alright as well.. (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-sweden-denmark-2-2)

Oh yeah, Sweden isn't that good outside of Zlatan. That's why lots of people were saying Denmark would beat you guys in the playoffs despite Zlatan--of course, we saw what happened with that. I was meaning more of a "storyline" aspect, as Zlatan plays in France and this is his probably his last major international tournament, although I could see how it could've been interpreted as a prediction. Tongue

Belgium has a lot of very good players, but I'm not sure if they have what it takes to go at the title. For example, at their best Eden Hazard and Christian Benteke are very good players (perhaps "world class" depending on your definition of that finicky term), but they've been bad this past year. Lukaku has also been streaky, although has generally been good for Everton this season. But they have a clear top-5 goalkeeper in Courtois, and a defender in Kompany who literally is the difference between Manchester City having a PL-winning defense or the equivalent of 4 droopy potato sacks in front of Joe Hart. I could see Belgium making a serious run at this, but I have doubts they could win.

Leinad's Tentative Predictions

Because where else do you expect to find quality European soccer analysis but north Georgia?

Group Stage:

Group A: 1) France - 2) Switzerland - 3) Rumania

Group B: 1) England - 2) Russia - 3) Wales

Group C: 1) Germany - 2) Poland - 3) Ukraine

Group D: 1) Spain - 2) Croatia - 3) Turkey

Group E: 1) Italy - 2) Belgium - 3) Sweden

Group F: 1) Portugal - 2) Austria - 3) Hungary

Top 3rds: Sweden, Wales, Turkey, and...um...what the hell, Hungary!

(I'll be honest, most of those 3rd-place predictions were merely educated guesses. I am an expert on neither the national team of Romania or of Albania, believe it or not. I don't know enough to write a book about European soccer, but I know enough to credibly review a book on European soccer. Either way, it would not be successful due to be alienating the target audience by calling it "soccer," despite the fact that the term originated in Britain.)

Round of 16:

Poland > Switzerland

Spain > Wales/Hungary (this is the only part I couldn't figure out based on who plays who--but the winners are the same either way)

England > Turkey

Belgium > Portugal (Courtois denies CR7 on multiple occasions)

Germany > Wales/Hungary

Italy > Croatia

Sweden > France (I know France is much better, but to the journalist in me the idea of Zlatan crushing France is too enticing a story)

Austria > Russia (Wink)

Quarterfinals:

Poland > Spain (Lewandowski is quite good, Spain is beatable, and there have to be some upsets, right?)

Belgium > England (on penalties)

Germany > Italy

Austria > Sweden (mental hangover--maybe a real one, too--after knocking out the hosts)

Semifinals:

Poland > Belgium

Austria > Germany (it's obvious I'm just making it Poland vs. Austria at this point, right? Tongue)

Finals:

Austria > Poland (it is revealed that Matthias Sindelar didn't actually die of mysterious circumstances in 1939, but elaborately faked his death so he could come back and become the oldest player, at the age of 113, to score a goal in international competition since Samuel Eto'o.)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:01 AM »

As I tried to say a couple days ago, but it apparently didn't post: I think Germany will win, but I would not be surprised if France, Belgium, or Spain win instead.

Predictions for today (only a few games, so I won't get bored by the end and start having fun with them Tongue):

Spain 1-0 Czech Republic
Rep. of Ireland 0-2 Sweden
Belgium 1-0 Italy

Fun fact: Italy only have 2 players on their team who have scored more than 5 international goals: Chiellini, a center-back, and De Rossi, a defensive midfielder. I think Italy is between generations (they have 8 players older than England's oldest player, and Pirlo isn't even on the team anymore), while Belgium should be the best they've ever been (if and only if their streaky attacking players such as Hazard and Lukaku show up).
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:00 AM »

Saturday Predictions:

Switzerland 0-1 Poland

I don't know, let's say Lewandowski finally scores. He's due. #Pseudoscience

Wales 2-0 Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland has failed to score against any team other than Ukraine, who were terrible, while Wales has scored more this tournament (a misleading statistic, but whatever) than anyone but Hungary (both with 6).

Croatia 2-1 Portugal

Hard to pick against Cristiano Ronaldo, but even harder to pick a team that has not yet won a game against a team that just beat Spain while missing their best player.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »

Prediction: Italy will beat Germany. I'll say 1-0.

Other prediction: whoever wins this will win the tournament.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies