Christians... why do you identify as Christian? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians... why do you identify as Christian? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christians... why do you identify as Christian?  (Read 4458 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 26, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »

Christians... why do you identify as Christian?

For me, it's because Christianity (when it's at its best) revolves around Love, and is Life-affirming and Joyful.

Not the "Christianity" that's corrupted by "fear of hell" or "greed for heaven", instead of love for the sake of love.

Christianity at its core essence, to me, is about the ultimate triumph of Love, and therefore of Life and of Joy. Best represented by the events of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and the teachings/example of Jesus.

Beyond any other religion (which all have a very similar message), Christianity is founded on the idea that God is Love, that Love is God, that we should not judge or condemn anyone, that we should forgive everyone, that we should even love our "enemies". That our love saves us, that life is good, that Eternal Life will conquer death, and that we will be blessed with true Joy.

It's such a powerful, positive message that's then embodied by the events of Jesus suffering and dying for all others, even though he didn't have to, and being raised from the dead.

I've also had personal experiences (insights from my own reflection/thinking, dreams, physical signs, intuition, and more, which I've talked about it detail in threads here over the years) that have since I was 15 not only convinced me of the power and positive-ness of this message, but also of its Truth.

That's why I identify as a Christian.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity, who was incarnate as a man, was crucified and died for our sake, and rose again from the dead. I believe that man was created good in the image and likeness of God, but God in his love gave us the free will to reject him, and that mankind, through our free will, is in a fallen state. I believe that God instituted a plan for our salvation, beginning with the revelation to Israel and culminating with Christ's sacrifice.

In a logistical sense, these are many of the core beliefs of Christianity. They are not necessarily at odds with more abstract conceptions, but are in my view the most straightforward answer to this question.
I'm not asking what you believe, I'm asking WHY do you believe, WHY do you call yourself Christian. Why do you feel attracted to Christianity, above all other religions and philosophies and paths?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity, who was incarnate as a man, was crucified and died for our sake, and rose again from the dead. I believe that man was created good in the image and likeness of God, but God in his love gave us the free will to reject him, and that mankind, through our free will, is in a fallen state. I believe that God instituted a plan for our salvation, beginning with the revelation to Israel and culminating with Christ's sacrifice.

In a logistical sense, these are many of the core beliefs of Christianity. They are not necessarily at odds with more abstract conceptions, but are in my view the most straightforward answer to this question.
I'm not asking what you believe, I'm asking WHY do you believe, WHY do you call yourself Christian. Why do you feel attracted to Christianity, above all other religions and philosophies and paths?
TJ's reply seems very logical to me. He identifies as a Christian because he believes that. That's why he feels attracted to Christianity.
Then how did he come to believe that? What solidified his faith?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »

Not everyone goes thru a soul searching introspection of why they believe, Blue. Unless someone feels the need for that, they won't gain any benefit from doing that.
That's what I intended this thread to be about... some time to reflect on, or make, that introspection, and to put it into words. It seems like a happy, healthy, renewing spiritual exercise. Especially for this time of year.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »

It's fine I was just trying to dig deeper behind your statement, if you were willing to share.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »

This is a very oddly worded question. Hazel eyed people... why do you identify as Hazel eyed?
Christianity isn't a physical trait you're born with.

It's a belief system, a value system, and a way of life.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »

This is a very oddly worded question. Hazel eyed people... why do you identify as Hazel eyed?
Christianity isn't a physical trait you're born with.

It's a belief system, a value system, and a way of life.

Isn't that (the second sentence, the first one isn't relevant frankly) precisely why the question as worded is odd? Admittedly to a lot of people religion is simply a matter of wearing a badge, but...
No, it's the same as asking Republicans why they identify as Republicans, or liberals why they identify as liberals.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »

Any more willing to share?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies