CA: Deal Reached to Raise Minimum Wage to $15/hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA: Deal Reached to Raise Minimum Wage to $15/hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA: Deal Reached to Raise Minimum Wage to $15/hour  (Read 4226 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: March 26, 2016, 11:46:26 PM »

Don't worry, it'll all be over soon. Jerry Brown is making California Great Again Smiley
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »

Jerry Brown is a progressive hero.
But just for the History, what the hell was he thinking back in 1992 when he advocated a flat tax?

Democrats were going through a rough introspective period in the 90s Sad
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »

The two pieces of actual economic data suggest that the federal minimum wage ought to be around $9.25. That's actually very much in agreement with Obama's original request in 2013. It's also reasonable to expect that localities with high costs of living might also have a higher minimum wage. I'd just rather see it derived from actual economic studies rather than a gut feeling for what is right.

Well I think the push for $15 is more so because costs of living have made even $10 impractical in a lot of areas. In the context of inflation, I think what you're saying is definitely correct, but people now want wages they can eek out a meager existence on.

I find myself in constant flux on the $15 min. wage debate, as it does seem pretty high, but at the same time I sympathize a lot with the people who need this. My belief is that the 2 parties need to come together and do whatever it takes to bring wages up in this country while keeping unemployment down. If they don't want to risk harm from a $15 min. wage, then they need to get serious about labor issues in this country. This includes actually trying ideas that may go counter to each party's beliefs.

If they don't, the people will continue to push for these things where they can, and what they push for may not always be good for the state/country.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »

I've heard the living wage argument, but in my area most minimum wage earners are not the primary source of household income, so the rationale doesn't hold up.

Right, but even for people who make somewhat more money than that, if they feel they are getting squeezed economically then I would think they would be much more open to proposals that would obviously benefit the average joe. They don't necessarily have to benefit from it at that time, but they could both think that one day they may need it, and at a time where the narrative is increasingly focusing on income inequality / the wealthy bamboozling the country for personal gain, any reasonable-sounding ideas that obviously benefit workers will get more attention and more consideration.

OTOH I know there are localities where there are a significant number of households that depend on the minimum wage for the household income, then as I noted those localities can make their own case for a higher local minimum wage. I also know the fact that the federal minimum hasn't kept up with inflation has disproportionally impacted the rural poor, particularly in the South. I like the idea of tiered minimums, but some groups don't seem to be interested in that outcome.

And that was what I was getting at in part of my post - Proposals that sound good but have a decent chance of actually harming local economies are more likely to get support when sizable numbers of citizens feel they are under financial distress. Both parties need to start cooperating to bring wages up or else we may find a lot more possibly-harmful ideas gaining momentum.

I suppose this is one downside to having an initiative process.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »

I've seen this often - progressives will present an idea and complain that conservatives aren't with it. Conservatives are inherently, um conservative, so it takes them a while to come around. By the time the conservatives get on board, even if only in a couple of years, progressives have sometimes pushed the original idea beyond the point of reasonableness. They are then so far apart that the sides can't talk about the original, reasonable request.

Well in all fairness, I meant both parties with ideas from both sides. I have a set of preferences in policy that align with the Democratic party, but my goal is more prosperity and far less income inequality. If a mix of certain conservative ideas with liberal ideas can achieve that, then I have no problem. I'd like to think this is something many politicians could agree with.

So with that in mind, while I favor a minimum wage, I'd rather have an economy that is good enough where we don't really even need to fight over the minimum wage in the first place. However, I'm just sick of hearing about supply-side economics and throwing benefits to the wealthy with the idea that it will "spur growth". That's something that I will likely never come around to myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies