72 Now Dead in Pakistan Terrorist Attack (Taliban)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  72 Now Dead in Pakistan Terrorist Attack (Taliban)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 72 Now Dead in Pakistan Terrorist Attack (Taliban)  (Read 1032 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
« edited: March 28, 2016, 10:53:53 PM by ͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔ »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/27/asia/pakistan-lahore-deadly-blast/index.html

But they're brown people, so unfortunately, very few people actually care.

UPDATE: Death toll up to at least 60 72; Taliban claims responsibility.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »

I didn't even one word on that on France Inter, which use to at least mention such events in one sentence in their hourly short flashes.

But well, Francophone media being a bit busy on one topic lately, so we gonna speak more about our good old suicide bombers than about foreign ones 1st.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »

Don't worry, some fanatical Muslims will murder more white people soon enough.
Omega21

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »

But let's not forget it has nothing to do with Religion. It just happens that 90% of terror attackers are Muslim, pure coincidence.....

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »

Some people seem more mad at White people for not covering these news stories, than they do at the Taliban for killing people.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »

Just awful. Thanks dar for posting this, I just heard actually from my Pakistani friend.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »

But let's not forget it has nothing to do with Religion. It just happens that 90% of terror attackers are Muslim, pure coincidence.....

Yeah, it has nothing to do with Religion, it's good you notice it.

Too bad that it fails afterward, nah it's not a random thing, it would more have to do with identity, fairness, balance of power, human sentiments.

Yah know. Eventually.

France Inter began to speak about it at 20h yesterday though, and every hours since then, and waaah, what the f**k happened, even Hollande made an official comment about that.

Personally, the biggest surprise is that it manages to make 'such noise' now, Pakistan seemed to be like Iraq, kinda 'normal terrorist country'.

People are humans, they need fresh stuffs to rise attention, I guess if there are blasts every once in a while in Paris and Bruxelles, we won't get CNN being fussy on that anymore.

People are humans, they 1st get interest to what's closer to them, I failed to have seen the fuss about the blast of the Russian plane...with 200 people in it...over Egypt in the French media for example, while those people might have been whiter than us.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »

yeah, but, "It is as peaceful or not as Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto and the traditional Chinese and African cults.  Perhaps, Rastafarianism is a tad better."  It's really just a giant coincidence that 95% of terrorism are committed by the followers of one of those religions.  Any day now Shinto terrorists are going to start blowing up buses and train stations.
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »

Don't worry, the media just discovered Christians were the target, so they're on top of it now.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »

Don't worry, the media just discovered Christians were the target, so they're on top of it now.

1. Major terrorist attack non-Western country
2. Journalists and correspondents write loads of very good stories on the topic and send them to their news agency.
3. Said news agency knows that general public is much more interested in random Kardashian/Trump story than reading some sad report of people getting killed unless it happened in a big Western country.
4. News story gets buried behind said Kardashian/Trump story.
5. Nobody cares to scroll beyond the first article, and thus don't see the story.
6. Major terrorist attack in Western country
7. See 2
8. News agency knows people are interested in this topic and make it the headline story.
9. People claim media bias, not recognizing it is in fact their own collective bias that created the discrepancy in the first place. 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »

yeah, but, "It is as peaceful or not as Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto and the traditional Chinese and African cults.  Perhaps, Rastafarianism is a tad better."  It's really just a giant coincidence that 95% of terrorism are committed by the followers of one of those religions.  Any day now Shinto terrorists are going to start blowing up buses and train stations.

Just wondering but what is your opinion of what I wrote on the Brussels thread?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »

Just wondering but what is your opinion of what I wrote on the Brussels thread?
It was a fine history lesson, and I agree with the general permise, regular Mohammed Six Pack has been screwed over, repeatedly by the sh**tty govts in the middle east for generation after generation and the ones they turned to when they rejected the authoritarian secularists were just as bad if not worse (Tunisia was ok for a minute wasn't it?), but it doesn't really explain why a young random person with issues in a sh**tty life situation is likely to turn to terrorism, but only if he or she is culturally Muslim.  Yes, you can come up with other reasons someone in France would blow up a concert and you can come up with a different set of excu.. reasons why someone would enter a mall in central Africa and murder everyone that can't say a couple of versus out of the Koran (and we all know I could go on for days listing different, real world, examples so I won't bother), and yes you can show examples of non-Muslims doing horrible things, but the sheer numbers involved here.  The distances, the different base cultures, the different extenuating circumstances, seems you'd have to be blind to not see there is a problem here, and it's not one that can be solved by ignoring it or dropping bombs on it.

Or I missed the entire point, have no idea what I'm talking about and am just a huge bigot.  You can quote me on that Smiley  (and if that is the case, please explain....and use small words)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »

Nobody cares, since it didn't happen in Europe.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2016, 07:16:53 PM by Blue3 »

News media keep reporting it as "Easter attacks".

But were the victims Christian? News sites seem to say most were Muslim.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »

yes,
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »

News media keep reporting it as "Easter attacks".

But were the victims Christian? News sites seem to say most were Muslim.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35910124

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you check the list of Jihadist terrorist attacks in Wikipedia, you will notice that most of them occur in Muslim countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

Around 90% of the victims are Muslim, according to a 2011 report by the US government's National Counter-Terrorism Center (NCTC).

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30883058
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »

As much as liberals hate to admit it, the Western media is extremely deferential to Islam.

Remember when liberals were demanding that the media report on the kidnapped girls in Nigeria? The reason they didn't was because 1) they never do international news in the first place and 2) It was a case of Muslims attacking Christians. When they did eventually report the story, the media flat out lied and said most of the kidnapped girls were Muslim, just so it wouldn't be awkward.

This was also obviously an attack against Christians. While some Muslims might have died (it is a 99% Muslim country), I am highly skeptical of claims that they were "most" of the victims.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 10:01:10 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/27/asia/pakistan-lahore-deadly-blast/index.html

But they're brown people, so unfortunately, very few people actually care.

UPDATE: Death toll up to at least 60; Taliban claims responsibility.

Lots of people care dude.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 07:04:53 AM »

Or I missed the entire point, have no idea what I'm talking about and am just a huge bigot.  You can quote me on that Smiley  (and if that is the case, please explain....and use small words)
I'm to assume the silence means I'm not wrong?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2016, 04:35:46 PM by PR »

Or I missed the entire point, have no idea what I'm talking about and am just a huge bigot.  You can quote me on that Smiley  (and if that is the case, please explain....and use small words)
I'm to assume the silence means I'm not wrong?

I think a big part of contemporary Islamic terrorism is that the "secular" (quite a relative term Tongue ) strongmen of the mid-to-late 20th century Arab regimes basically crushed/suppressed all dissent, with one major exception: the dissent located in the mosques. This isn't really surprising, since even the most brutal strongmen were shrewd enough not to mess with the sacred spaces of the faithful. What this meant, however, was that radically anti-government politics were married with interpretations of Islam that were only becoming more hardened as conditions got worse in these Arab countries. Thus, the most radical and violently anti-government activists ended up being extremely and fanatically religious Muslims.

I specified "Arab" countries, BTW, because I think it's pretty obvious that the Wahhabism that is based in Saudi Arabia and other Sunni Gulf countries - and is liberally exported around the world by the regimes of said countries -  has been a critical factor in the globalization of fanatical, politically violent radical Islam. This generous sponsorship of Wahhabism through mosques, charities, schools, and other organizations really became a thing in the 1970s and 1980s, when a series of seminal events prompted the Sunni Gulf regimes (especially the House of Saud) to assert their influence globally: namely, the assassination of Saudi King Faisal in 1975 by a relative who had been radicalized; the storming of the Grand Mosque in Mecca in 1979 by religious fanatics; the Iranian Revolution in the same year, which brought a formidable Shiite movement to power; and the Soviet invasion of and subsequent war in Afghanistan. The first two of these events increased the influence of the Wahhabist clerics within Saudi Arabia, while the Iranian Revolution truly alarmed the Sunni monarchies  and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan created an opportunity for a state-sponsored jihad against an invading foreign force in a Muslim country. This, of course, was the soil in which Al-Qaeda was fertilized. More recent events (besides the ongoing war in Afghanistan) in places like Chechnya, Bosnia, Iraq, and Syria have created still more opportunities for Islamic jihad, with volunteers from all over the world.

One more thing: there's another fairly underrated (imo) factor in explaining Islamic terrorism that doesn't get mentioned too often. What I am referring to is the relative collapse of religious authority in interpreting Islamic scriptures. Why listen to some tired old cleric's interpretation and contextualization of the Qu'ran, when you can read it for yourself and be inspired by certain verses to wage violent jihad against infidels? In light of an increased emphasis on Wahhabi-style religious education in many Islamic countries around the world, this becomes a very big deal.

Of course, there are many other, more localized causes and factors of Islamic terrorism (e.g. the poverty, segregation, and lack of integration of French Muslims into French society). But I reckon that these factors are - broadly speaking - quite relevant in understanding modern Islamic terrorism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »

Yep, the reasons a person might turn to terrorism are legion, but again
it doesn't really explain why a young random person with issues in a sh**tty life situation is likely to turn to terrorism, but only if he or she is culturally Muslim.
There are many millions of people in horrible life situations from Botswana to Beijing and from Tierra Del Fuego to Tijuana, many of them are non-Muslims, but (for the most part) the only ones choosing to shoot up malls, blow up buses or are using grade schools full of kids as hostages are all shouting praises to Mo when they do it.  Not all of it can be hand waved away because of a lack of assimilation or Saudi money.  I mean seriously, they scream why they are doing it when they do it, and we still don't want to say that's the reason for it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies