Sanders wont commit to supporting Hillary.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:58:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders wont commit to supporting Hillary.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sanders wont commit to supporting Hillary.  (Read 2729 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

He did not say he was withholding support, but he did not confirm he would be supporting her either. I would guess the chances he doesn't endorse her are fairly low considering the optics of that type of action would be terrible (in the face of Trump/Cruz no less). Perhaps Bernie is planning on being more of a holdout than we thought?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/27/sanders_backs_away_from_potential_support_for_hillary.html
dax00

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »

He will not support her, out of principle. Nor will I.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »

He realizes he's probably not going to be the nominee, and so is trying to force Hilldawg a little more to the left. Of course he'll support her in the end. If he supported Bill Clinton, he'll support Hillary Clinton, who agrees with him on a lot more than Bill did.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »

He's probably tentatively withholding support to get more leverage later on.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »

He is just angry because the lamestream media ignore his campaign.

dax00

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »

This thread is ridiculous. Bernie stands a fair shot at winning. I ask Hillary: will you support Bernie in the general election?
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »

What's the diffetence between Hillary and Bernie?

I have yet to see a Hillary supporter say they wouldn't endorse Bernie, if nominated.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »

This thread is ridiculous. Bernie stands a fair shot at winning.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

This thread is ridiculous. Bernie stands a fair shot at winning. I ask Hillary: will you support Bernie in the general election?

We know she will. She's done it before with Obama. Clinton isn't stupid or hold public grudges like that. I've always feared Bernie won't endorse her. He knows she needs him more than he needs her. But what a dick! To put the general election in jeopardy like this is shameful on his part.
dax00

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »

We know she will. She's done it before with Obama. Clinton isn't stupid or hold public grudges like that. I've always feared Bernie won't endorse her. He knows she needs him more than he needs her. But what a dick! To put the general election in jeopardy like this is shameful on his part.
This is a fair assessment. However, one must realize that in a competitive race, admitting to future support of the opposing candidate(s) is as good as concession.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »

This is a fair assessment. However, one must realize that in a competitive race, admitting to future support of the opposing candidate(s) is as good as concession.
Every republican candidate signed a pledge to support the eventual nominee.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

Every republican candidate signed a pledge to support the eventual nominee.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »

That's fine-- considering I just made a thread suggesting she shouldn't support him either, can hardly complain about this. It's pretty clear the relationship between the two is pretty bad. It's no problem because she can win without him and he can win without her. Neither one needs the other.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »

What jeopardy? Isn't he an independent? He has no obligation to support her. The Dem base screwed him over in the process with limited debates & everyone throwing support behind Clinton before it began.

Bernie's base is divide - A portion wants to support Hillary in the GE & a portion does not. It would be highly wrong & a stab in the back of his supporters & message to support Hillary. I would lose respect for him if he does that.

At the very least he should get him to agree on his agenda so that atleast he can placate his supporters that they got their agenda!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »

I'm guessing he's just trying to avoid admitting defeat. I'm sure he'll support Clinton in the end.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »

What jeopardy? Isn't he an independent? He has no obligation to support her. The Dem base screwed him over in the process with limited debates & everyone throwing support behind Clinton before it began.

Bernie's base is divide - A portion wants to support Hillary in the GE & a portion does not. It would be highly wrong & a stab in the back of his supporters & message to support Hillary. I would lose respect for him if he does that.

At the very least he should get him to agree on his agenda so that atleast he can placate his supporters that they got their agenda!

As a reasonable human being he has the obligation to support Clinton over Trump.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

So what?

Would you expect Hillary, if their positions were reversed, to commit to support him at this point?

This whole faux outrage in this thread is pathetic.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »

I'm guessing he's just trying to avoid admitting defeat. I'm sure he'll support Clinton in the end.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »

Is there anyone that really believes Sanders will not support Clinton when the primary is over if she wins? They have their differences, but they don't hate each other. It's a stupid question to ask someone that's still running, and it would be just as stupid a question if it was asked to Clinton whether she would support Sanders.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »

He will. He knows that if he doesn't, he'll be humiliated and go down as a sore loser in the history books (and to about 99% of the country).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »

There's less than zero chance that Sanders won't support Hillary in the general. It's as likely as NH vot.... nevermind!

You caught yourself! Congratulations, you've made progress! Smiley

Of course Sanders will support Clinton. How this is even a question to some people boggles my mind.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

He has repeatedly stated that it is imperative for Democrats to come together to prevent the Republicans from gaining the presidency.  That seems pretty clear to me.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »

What do you expect? The racist doesn't want to endorse a pro-diversity candidate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »

Honestly, I think Bernie Sanders is shaping up to be a lot like Ted Kennedy in 1980. The loony left bitches and moans about the inevitable nominee, and splits the party. At the convention, there are more Kennedy/Sanders signs than Carter/Hillary signs on the delegate floor, and the loser gives a half-hour speech full of grandstanding and bitching about how he didn't win.

The question is how many Sanders supporters are going to continue their pouting to the general in refusing to vote or throwing their vote away on Jill Stein. The bigger question is going to be how this will affect Hillary in the general. The loony left sunk Al Gore in 2000, as 19,000 Sanders-esque liberals voted for Ralph Nader instead of Al Gore in New Hampshire, costing him the state and thus the election. Had Gore won New Hampshire, Florida would have been a moot point.

Frankly if the unthinkable did happen and Bernie Sanders overtook Hillary Clinton, I'd hope the DNC would screw with the rules and hand the nomination to the only electable candidate.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »

He already endorsed her in the first debate and many times since.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies