The Curse of FDR
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:21:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Curse of FDR
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Curse of FDR  (Read 1574 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »

(revisiting an old idea)

On the day of June 25, 1944, less than a month before the Democratic National Convention was about to commence in Chicago, Illinois, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was getting ready for bed in his country estate of Hyde Park, New York. The President, who was about to seek an unprecedented fourth term, suddenly felt a strong headache. The President's attending cardiologist, Dr. Howard Bruenn, diagnosed a massive cerebral hemorrhage and knew, there's nothing he could really do.

Before losing consciousness, Roosevelt uttered his famous last words. Some say he was merely delirious. Other claim that it's not impossible for a person near death to actually prophesize.

Aw s**t, the great Democrat moaned. I swear no motherf**ker will serve a third of what I've served.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:11:57 PM »

So, presidents in this TL won't even finish a term? Interesting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:24:45 AM »

Victim Number One

Henry A. Wallace (D-IA)
33rd President of the United States

Henry A. Wallace had a good reason to be worried. Despite support from many rank-and-file Democrats, there were persistent speculations the party apparatus would seriously push to dump him from the ticket. Now, however, he found himself as incumbent President of the United States.

His incumbency, however, was not strong enough to secure his nomination. Despite leading among rank-and-file voters and receiving significant backing from the delegates, he was unable to overcome a strong challenge from James F. Byrnes. Byrnes, however, was not strong enough due to labor unions opposing him vehemently. There were two more anti-Wallace candidates: Senator Harry S. Truman of Missouri, backed by his home state delegates as well as the DNC Chairman Bob Hannegan, and Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, backed by liberal Roosevelt supporters that had doubts about Wallace. After five chaotic ballots, party leaders managed to convince the "three horsemen" to withdraw in favor of a consensus candidate, which turned out to be Secretary of State Cordell Hull. Hull managed to wrap the nomination in the seventh ballot.

Bitterly disappointed Wallace gave Hull a lukewarm endorsement and buried himself with managing day-to-day tasks of the Presidency until his term was to expire.

The curse just swallowed it's first victim.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »

Interlude Number One:

Former Secretary Hull and his running mate, Senator James M. Mead of New York, picked largely due to establish a geographical balance on the ticket, as well to hold the Empire State, went on to win a relatively narrow victory over a Republican ticket. The GOP's nominee, Governor Thomas E Dewey's energetic campaining and youth helped his party pick up additional support, aided by the impression left after the chaotic Democratic Convention. However, the American people were reluctant to change the party in power during the war and FDR's New Deal coalition largely hold on. Republicans made gains in Congress, but not enough to flip a solid Democratic majority.

Former Secretary of State Cordell of Tennessee/Senator James M. Mead of New York (Democratic): 318 electoral votes and 52.1% of the popular vote
Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York/Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio (Republican): 213 electoral votes and 47.4% of the popular vote
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »

Victim Number Two

Cordell Hull (D-TN)
34th President of the United States
(January 20, 1945 -)

Already in falling health, as he had, in fact, was about to resign for this very reason as Secretary of State before a sudden turn of event entrusted him with the Presidency, Hull focused almost entirely on foreign affairs; concluding the war in Europe and Asia, organizing the United Nations and beginning to carefully reorient U.S. external policy for a post-war rivalization between the superpowers. Hull was not very active in domestic affairs, trying not to upset any faction within the Democratic Party, but supporters of former President Wallace were quite hostile toward "men who stole the nomination from him". Overworked and overstressed, President Hull succumbed to his long battle with sarcoidosis on February 13, 1946.

Victim Number Three

James M. Mead (D-NY)
35th President of the United States
(February 14, 1946 -)

James Mead's presidency was marked with his constant struggle to keep the Democratic Party united, especially after the GOP gained a control over Congress in 1946. President Mead was challenged for the Democratic nomination by a strong "Draft Wallace" movement. His eventual narrow victory caused several Wallace supporters to walk out and form the "Progressive Party" to run the former President candidacy. Mead's indecisive stance regarding a proposed civil right platform, brought by Minneapolis Mayor Hubert Humphrey, secured southern votes, but caused many Northern liberals to bolt the ticket. In November, the Democratic ticket suffered a decisive defeat.

Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York/Governor Earl Warren of California (Republican): 362 electoral votes and 49% of the popular vote
President James M. Mead of New York/Former Governor Paul V. McNutt of Indiana (Democratic): 157 electoral votes and 40% of the popular vote
Former President Henry A. Wallace of Iowa/Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey of Minnesota (Progressive): 12 electoral votes and 9% of the popular vote
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »

Victim Number One

The curse just swallowed it's first victim.

Haha! I look forward to seeing how many presidents we go through by 2016.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »

Victim Number Four

Thomas E. Dewey
36th President of the United States
(January 20, 1949 -)

Described privately as "that wooden motherf**ker" by his archnemesis, Senator Robert Taft of Ohio, Dewey hardly bothered to do any campaigning, as everybody anticipated a sure victory over a weak and embattled Democratic President. His subsequent Presidency was likewise described as "boring a hell". Barely proposing any new policy, Dewey essentially devoted himself to confirm previous administrations domestic and foreign policies. The only more exciting political scheme he managed to pull out was convincing his own VP to resign in order to accept the Supreme Court nomination. But hey, it turned out there was at least one person that felt strongly about Dewey after all. A certain NYC resident who underwent a transformation from a Dewey hack into his bitter opponent, believing he was denied a rightful reward for his "great contribution" during he 1948 campaign. Said fellow easily managed to shot the President during one of his relatively rare full fledged public appearances before the midterm elections on October 17, 1950. He was so nut that while awaiting execution he started to believe he was Jesus Christ's second coming. "Dewey should appreciate the great honor I did him," were his last words before being electrocuted at Sing Sing prison. "I mean, not many people can say they were shot by Jesus".
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

How Many presidents would they be when the timeline ends?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »

If I ever go crazy I'd claim to be the third coming of Jesus. It would be very confusing.

Excellent job, I wonder who the next victim will be?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »

The shot by Jesus line was genius. Keep it up!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

Thanks for bunmping, guys.

If I ever go crazy I'd claim to be the third coming of Jesus. It would be very confusing.

Excellent job, I wonder who the next victim will be?

Well, I haven't decided yet, since Warren was kicked upstairs to the court and I'm not sure which law of succession should apply here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies