Did a new Arab American Muslim Coalition give Sanders his upset win in MI?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did a new Arab American Muslim Coalition give Sanders his upset win in MI?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did a new Arab American Muslim Coalition give Sanders his upset win in MI?  (Read 1116 times)
jocallag
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »

Arab Muslim coalition behind Sanders MI victory

Here is my article on Sanders victory in Michigan thru a coalition of  Arab and Muslim voters

http://sfppr.org/2016/03/were-muslim-voters-behind-sanders-surprising-upset-in-michigan/

Please tell me what u think?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »

Good article but only discusses substantive issues at the very end. I believe the Arab American population needs to make its voice heard to counterbalance AIPAC and the Israel lobby in Congress.

That being said, the fact that Arab Americans voted heavily for Bush in 2000 suggests they are culturally conservative, but switched parties to oppose neoconservatism. An anti-interventionist Republican candidate such as Trump could potentially make inroads into the community.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:20:42 AM »

Good article but only discusses substantive issues at the very end. I believe the Arab American population needs to make its voice heard to counterbalance AIPAC and the Israel lobby in Congress.

That being said, the fact that Arab Americans voted heavily for Bush in 2000 suggests they are culturally conservative, but switched parties to oppose neoconservatism. An anti-interventionist Republican candidate such as Trump could potentially make inroads into the community.

Uh, I highly doubt that Arab Americans have a high opinion of Trump...
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:27:16 AM »

Not when he advocates detaining people who look like them. Also I don't know that i'd characterize Trump as an anti-interventionist.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:27:41 AM »

Uh, I highly doubt that Arab Americans have a high opinion of Trump...

Of course- a candidate with similar views to Trump on foreign policy but not Muslim immigrants.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:36:19 AM »

As an Arab American who is pretty ingrained in the Arab community, the only Arabs who MIGHT have a positive opinion of Trump are CHRISTIAN Arabs (who make up about 60% of the Arab American population) But amongst Muslims? It's almost nill.

Arab Christians are more likely than Arab Muslims to still be Republican, bot overall, the reason why Arabs as a whole have left the GOP is because of the ME foreign policy and blatant xenophobia exhibited by post- Bush 2000 Republicans
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:23:40 AM »

Given the fact that Trump has called for all Muslims to register with the government and ban them from entering the country, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that he will make any inroads with them.  And what evidence do you have that Arab Americans voted for Bush in 2000?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:46 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2016, 07:40:01 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Given the fact that Trump has called for all Muslims to register with the government and ban them from entering the country, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that he will make any inroads with them.  And what evidence do you have that Arab Americans voted for Bush in 2000?

if Zogby is to be believed as an Arab-ran polling firm, Bush got about 45% of the total Arab vote in 2000 and amongst Arab Muslims it was around 42% to Gore's 31%, Nader probably got a large amount just for being an Arab himself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6056602/ns/politics/t/arab-americans-turning-away-bush/

The Arab American Institute's poll shows that a plurality of Arab Americans voted for Bush with 46% to Gore's 38% and Nader's (Who is Arab American himself) 16% http://www.aaiusa.org/w121800
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:17:16 AM »

It's interesting that Arab Americans have substantially less influence in Washington than (certain) citizens of Arab countries (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, etc.). Lots of foreign investment in the U.S. from businesses and governments of the Sunni Gulf states.

I guess it helps to have billions of dollars in oil revenues, huh?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »

This is not how elections work.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies