More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad  (Read 1654 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »

And little wonder:

Why More Students Are Leaving the U.S. for College

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:08:04 AM »

Good. International perspective is always a positive thing.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:37 AM »

These numbers seem a little fishy. American college is too expensive but the media often includes the cost of a one bedroom apartment and food as well to make it seem even worse. At the same time, I doubt that $4000 people are getting charged in Europe includes housing and food.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »

Anyone here actually considering going overseas to get their bachelor's or master's degrees? 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »

Good. International perspective is always a positive thing.

Indeed!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »

Figure also that Latin-American universities can be very high in quality and low in cost.

If I were forty years younger would I go overseas to college to save about $10K in educational costs? Why not? I'd have to be very homesick to not jump at the offer. I'd have to be very homesick to stay in the Midwest if I could afford (with the aid of scholarships) to attend Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Stanford, etc.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »

There was an article about this very topic on CNN that featured a girl I went to high school with.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »

Sometimes I wish I did.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »

Look for these to turn into permanent moves, for the rest of their lives, if the reincarnation of Hitler is elected.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »

Not inclined to believe this with it taking a deeper look at the numbers. It would imply a dramatic shift over the past several years that I haven't seen described elsewhere.

In my experience "study abroad" - and, in terms of raw numbers, most of this trend consists of single-semester outings, which frequently involve paying regular tuition for one's home university in addition to an array of housing, travel, and administrative fees abroad - is very much mainly an option for students who don't need to finance their own education and who aren't taking out loans. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is appropriate: Most study abroad programs are more tourism than education, anyway. It's not as if more than a small share of undergraduates abroad are seeking out the world's finest experts in their fields of interest, and students typically take classes taught in their native language.

Travel isn't inherently virtuous, and the cross-cultural experience that many students get is more comparable to a week spent in Disneyland than it is to anything that seriously challenges or edifies.

I guess you're right. For obvious reasons I'm very attached to the idea of studying abroad and I want to hope that it helps broadening people's horizons a little bit. Considering how ignorant of the rest of the world many Americans tend to be, a little Disneyland trip is still better than nothing.

Of course the fact that it's still a privilege even among the already-privileged subset of College students is absolutely depressing.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2016, 11:27:37 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

Travel abroad is an absurd concept, one that I never understood the appeal of, but then again, so is traveling far for college to begin with and I'm guilty enough of that.

For the most part Tony, I don't think the travel abroad experience is helping as many people as even you want to hope. Sure tons of ignorants go on their luxury vacation, but remember the vast majority of people don't even have a degree. It's best to separate the groups. No doubt ignorance of the world is widespread in colleges, but the majority in that segment probably does understand those matters quite well, particularly amongst the wealthy who can afford such a trip.

To answer a question posed earlier in this thread - my cousins in middle school are considering a full Italian post-secondary education if and only if it's cost effective (which may or may not require citizenship). I don't see it being much different than a nearby state school however. Plane costs are obscene.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »

For the most part Tony, I don't think the travel abroad experience is helping as many people as even you want to hope. Sure tons of ignorants go on their luxury vacation, but remember the vast majority of people don't even have a degree. It's best to separate the groups. No doubt ignorance of the world is widespread in colleges, but the majority in that segment probably does understand those matters quite well, particularly amongst the wealthy who can afford such a trip.

I mean yeah, as I said it's obviously a marker of privilege and that's a problem onto itself.

That said, I'm not as sure that rich kids are necessary much more aware of the world around them than poorer ones. There are plenty of wealthy, ignorant people (just as there are plenty of highly cultured people who live quite modestly).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:38:00 PM »

Haha, yes, I was just coming back to fix that after thinking on it for a second. Spot on.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »

Haha, yes, I was just coming back to fix that after thinking on it for a second. Spot on.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 11:40:14 PM »

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »

Anyone here actually considering going overseas to get their bachelor's or master's degrees? 

Yes, Masters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »

Yeah, they're the sort of people who can talk about their favorite restaurants on multiple continents but who have never visited lower income neighborhoods of their own city. Or who brag about how the friends they made while studying abroad "broadened their horizons" while having no friends with a substantially different class background at home.
Yeah, but they argue with conservatives online so that makes up for it.
Look for these to turn into permanent moves, for the rest of their lives, if the reincarnation of Hitler is elected.

Unfortunately (for Americans, at least), immigration to most other developed countries doesn't work that way.
Won't most other first world places will take you in if you have a needed skill?  Of course very few people have those (hence why they'd be needed).  I know that's the case with Canada, you can't get in unless you have something they want (money or a needed skill) or are a legit and heavily vetted refugee.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 08:10:29 AM »

Yeah, they're the sort of people who can talk about their favorite restaurants on multiple continents but who have never visited lower income neighborhoods of their own city. Or who brag about how the friends they made while studying abroad "broadened their horizons" while having no friends with a substantially different class background at home.
Yeah, but they argue with conservatives online so that makes up for it.

Unfortunately (for Americans, at least), immigration to most other developed countries doesn't work that way.
Won't most other first world places will take you in if you have a needed skill?  Of course very few people have those (hence why they'd be needed).  I know that's the case with Canada, you can't get in unless you have something they want (money or a needed skill) or are a legit and heavily vetted refugee.

One exception to this, is if you are willing to live in the Arctic for several years, it is substantially easier to get in. Of course, I doubt many people are willing to teach school in a community of 300 in -40 weather to get away from Trump.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »

I'd say that's a skill...or at least a natural talent.  Smiley
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2016, 11:56:53 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I mean yeah, as I said it's obviously a marker of privilege and that's a problem onto itself.

That said, I'm not as sure that rich kids are necessary much more aware of the world around them than poorer ones. There are plenty of wealthy, ignorant people

For what it's worth, this is a global phenomenon, one that's even more extreme in Latin America than it is in the United States. For instance, it's quite common for the children of Mexican elites to stay confined in their gated communities, rarely venturing out until they are pre-teens or teens. Then, they attend private schools before attending private, "prestigious" universities in America, which become their experience with diversity.

To be fair to the Mexican elite or the elite from other countries in Latin America, it's not as if our elite is any better. The truly wealthy in the United States are blissfully ignorant of their own country.

Note: I am not talking about someone who is merely affluent and from, say, Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm talking about the children of "quants" or the children of partners at "big law" firms or the children of executives.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

Really makes me glad I went to the only "elite" university in France that has income-scaled tuition and an affirmative action program targeting disfavored areas. It's far from enough of course, but it helps make the atmosphere there less toxic than it is in the top business or engineering schools.

I also get the feeling that research programs in the US are a little less socially homogeneous than the STEM ones.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »

1. Some of the countries have populations in decline. Inviting Americans to be students there might offer a partial solution.

2. This could be an appeal to people descended from the people in whose country they are going to school so that the Americans descended from that country can maintain, redevelop, or recover ethnic ties. This might be especially so in a country with a not-very-widely spoken language. Such languages are not very popular in college due to their limited use and difficult.

3. The country might want to promote its national culture among Americans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies