More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More American Students Leaving US for College Education Abroad  (Read 1684 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »

Good. International perspective is always a positive thing.

Indeed!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »

Not inclined to believe this with it taking a deeper look at the numbers. It would imply a dramatic shift over the past several years that I haven't seen described elsewhere.

In my experience "study abroad" - and, in terms of raw numbers, most of this trend consists of single-semester outings, which frequently involve paying regular tuition for one's home university in addition to an array of housing, travel, and administrative fees abroad - is very much mainly an option for students who don't need to finance their own education and who aren't taking out loans. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is appropriate: Most study abroad programs are more tourism than education, anyway. It's not as if more than a small share of undergraduates abroad are seeking out the world's finest experts in their fields of interest, and students typically take classes taught in their native language.

Travel isn't inherently virtuous, and the cross-cultural experience that many students get is more comparable to a week spent in Disneyland than it is to anything that seriously challenges or edifies.

I guess you're right. For obvious reasons I'm very attached to the idea of studying abroad and I want to hope that it helps broadening people's horizons a little bit. Considering how ignorant of the rest of the world many Americans tend to be, a little Disneyland trip is still better than nothing.

Of course the fact that it's still a privilege even among the already-privileged subset of College students is absolutely depressing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »

For the most part Tony, I don't think the travel abroad experience is helping as many people as even you want to hope. Sure tons of ignorants go on their luxury vacation, but remember the vast majority of people don't even have a degree. It's best to separate the groups. No doubt ignorance of the world is widespread in colleges, but the majority in that segment probably does understand those matters quite well, particularly amongst the wealthy who can afford such a trip.

I mean yeah, as I said it's obviously a marker of privilege and that's a problem onto itself.

That said, I'm not as sure that rich kids are necessary much more aware of the world around them than poorer ones. There are plenty of wealthy, ignorant people (just as there are plenty of highly cultured people who live quite modestly).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

Really makes me glad I went to the only "elite" university in France that has income-scaled tuition and an affirmative action program targeting disfavored areas. It's far from enough of course, but it helps make the atmosphere there less toxic than it is in the top business or engineering schools.

I also get the feeling that research programs in the US are a little less socially homogeneous than the STEM ones.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies