Clinton Strategist: No More Debates Unless Bernie Sanders Changes His Tone.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton Strategist: No More Debates Unless Bernie Sanders Changes His Tone.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Clinton Strategist: No More Debates Unless Bernie Sanders Changes His Tone.  (Read 2003 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »

seems like Team Clinton just doesn't want to do any more debates and are looking for an excuse. Typical front-runner strategy.   I suspect in the end there will be one more debate between NY and PA.

It seems like a pretty bad way to word it though. The Clinton campaign refusing to debate based on Sanders' tone is laughable, and there are several other routes they could have taken that would have at least seemed legitimate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »

I understand not wanting any more debates, since they really don't affect that much. Still though, I would not describe Sanders as "very negative." There's a difference between being critical and being rude.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »

I see, Bernie has to run a 100% positive campaign while Hillary is thousands of miles deep in the gutter with her campaign.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »

I see, Bernie has to run a 100% positive campaign while Hillary is thousands of miles deep in the gutter with her campaign.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »

This is just the whiniest thing I've read all day. This has been the least divisive and contentious primary - measured by the campaigns' actions - since God knows when. Both candidates could be bashing the ever-living hell out of each other using a whole lot more than just "tone", and tone is going to be the least of anyone's worries in the GE.

I get it: the front-runner doesn't want to have any more debates (unlike where we were one to two months ago) because the polling and delegate counts are clearly in her favor. It's stupid to come out and try to make up some blatantly transparent justification for not having more debates when you could just stay quiet about it. Who in their right mind over the age of 30 and not already firmly in Clinton's corner is going to believe that this has been a nasty campaign, when all they have to do is look back to 2008 and/or the past two GOP primaries?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »

This is just the whiniest thing I've read all day. This has been the least divisive and contentious primary - measured by the campaigns' actions - since God knows when. Both candidates could be bashing the ever-living hell out of each other using a whole lot more than just "tone", and tone is going to be the least of anyone's worries in the GE.

I get it: the front-runner doesn't want to have any more debates (unlike where we were one to two months ago) because the polling and delegate counts are clearly in her favor. It's stupid to come out and try to make up some blatantly transparent justification for not having more debates when you could just stay quiet about it. Who in their right mind over the age of 30 and not already firmly in Clinton's corner is going to believe that this has been a nasty campaign, when all they have to do is look back to 2008 and/or the past two GOP primaries?
People have short memories.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »

Oh come on, even you can realize that this talking point is utterly ridiculous.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »

Oh come on, even you can realize that this talking point is utterly ridiculous.

Sanders has definitely not ran a 100% positive campaign. His minions have pulled enough dirty tricks (hacking the DNC voter data base, posing as union representatives in Nevada, smearing those who criticized his policy plans as unrealistic).
And it was Sanders' campaign who went on record at the NYTimes as being ready to go full negative during the next weeks.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »

Sanders has run a negative campaign.  That it's not as negative as Obama's campaign in 2008 is beside the point because Obama never had to drop to his knees and beg for a debate.

Hillary has won this nomination and doesn't owe Sanders anything, least of all the opportunity to stand next to her on national television and insult and insinuate about her for two hours.  The Sanders people have given her no motivation to do so other than flinging mud at her in the press.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 07:13:02 PM »

#ToneDownForWhat is a trending hashtag because of this now.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »

I hear that the DNC this year is planning to add ten delegates to a candidate's score for each hashtag their supporters get trending on Twitter!
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:48 PM »

...inviting obvious jokes about Clinton only speaking in NYC when there's a six figure paycheck involved.

I know that this is normal process bickering, but the fact that it's happening in Cuomo's NY leaves such a awful taste in my mouth that I can't help getting upset about it. Our primary is almost always too late to matter, and dominated by machines on both sides even when it does. Our state elections are a joke, and most people living here - especially Upstate, of course - feel disenfranchised, disengaged, and disempowered by state government. Our notoriously stage-managed and tight-lipped governor just gave his first open press conference in nine months... on Easter weekend. So it's particularly frustrating that "our" former Senator (whose campaign has been no less stage-managed or insulated from the media and, by extension, the public, than our esteemed governor) would refuse to debate here.

Jesus Christ, do these people ever make it hard for me to vote for them.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »

If Sanders had said this about Clinton we would have a 10 page thread about BERNIE SANDERS AND HIS RAMPANT SEXISM.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »

Hillary's the one who asked where Bernie was when she fought for healthcare reform as first lady. He was right behind her and she acknowledged him.

I guess every candidate has ammunition which could be used against them, but I think Bernie would be doing even better if he ran negative ads on Hillary. I'm glad though that he isn't because it shows how principled he is.
Panda Express

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »

Who cares if there are no more debates? They are a complete waste of time at this stage.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2016, 11:07:33 PM by Ebowed »

Understandable that Clinton is afraid to debate Sanders.  Yet...  Sad!
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »

If Sanders had said this about Clinton we would have a 10 page thread about BERNIE SANDERS AND HIS RAMPANT SEXISM.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 11:34:55 PM »

Clinton is right. Why should she waste her time debating a Neo-Nazi who refuses to accept that the primary is over?

Troll?

Pot, meet kettle?

But he's right: Obama had already moved on to the general election and his delegate lead was much smaller than hers. Sanders and his supporters need to face facts, which I know is easier said than done for you all.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:51 AM »

There goes Team Clinton.....playing the gender card. What the heck are they talking about with "tone," anyway? Bernie,stop vigorously debating me! i am but a wee damsel in distress!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 03:18:10 AM »

For once Hillary fans should man up & look at things objectively - Not through Clinton-lenses. You are not much of a person if you don't have an independent mind - This only makes Hillary fans even more ridiculous than Trump fans because they chose to ignore any issues with their candidate.

Let it go - Have an objective viewpoint - You guys are the one causing this divide!
Democratic Cynicalism
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »

I hear that the DNC this year is planning to add ten delegates to a candidate's score for each hashtag their supporters get trending on Twitter!

Woah, you sure jumped down his throat quick huh? Pretty benign observation he was making there - it's a poor excuse from her campaign and it's getting negative publicity. To say nothing - or even say "we've had plenty of debates and explored most issues" - would have been better.

It's a poor move in general for her, really. It's usually a bad idea for campaigns to say no to more debates. Not that anything is usually gained from them, but at least your candidate isn't the one that's "SCARED OF DEBATES!" (I honestly think this is the only reason most debates happen - neither candidate wants the small fallout that comes from blinking)

Generally, you should only say no to debates if your tendency to make gaffes is Palinesque/Perry-level. Hillary not only has a fairly strong record of avoiding gaffes (in an era where gaffes are losing their significance/impact), she's actually put in some strong overall showings against Bernie. If Trump is the nominee, there'll probably be a high number of debates, and the best debate prep for that might be actually debating now.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:07 AM »

Rand Paul weighing on the NY Debate thing - https://twitter.com/randpaul/status/714644914433355778
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »

And here's the backpedaling:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-03-29/clinton-perfectly-willing-to-debate-sanders-in-new-york-aide-says
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »

Bernie is not a Democrat, loses Democrats in almost every primary, and is actively sabotaging the eventual Democratic nominee in the most important election in at least 36 years. She should refuse to acknowledge him, let alone debate him.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »

Bernie is not a Democrat, loses Democrats in almost every primary, and is actively sabotaging the eventual Democratic nominee in the most important election in at least 36 years. She should refuse to acknowledge him, let alone debate him.

lol ok
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies