Writing a paper on Quebec
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Writing a paper on Quebec
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Writing a paper on Quebec  (Read 604 times)
msnmllr
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

Hello everyone, I am in the process of writing a 3000-4000 word essay on how the history and political trends of Quebec have resulted on the modern sovereignty movement. Would any of you be interested on reading my WIP writing and giving some insight/criticism on my writing?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:25:25 AM »

Well, I will say that it is an extremely ambitious topic for a paper so short, but if you are planning to keep things broad I guess I would suggest stringing the paper together through an analysis of a few key events. In other words, looking at change over time through these events as a lens.

If you send me your e-mail address in a PM I can send you a bunch of digital books and articles I have in my library. Most of it accumulated during my research process for a paper on the October Crisis, but there's a lot of stuff I didn't use that goes way beyond the FLQ, temporally and thematically.

Maybe it's too late for me to be sending resources though haha, so I'll leave it up to you. I'm not sure I have the time to read anything at the moment, unfortunately, and it probably wouldn't be worth your while anyway, because I don't know too much about Quebec other than what you'd get from a survey Canadian history course.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »

Hello everyone, I am in the process of writing a 3000-4000 word essay on how the history and political trends of Quebec have resulted on the modern sovereignty movement. Would any of you be interested on reading my WIP writing and giving some insight/criticism on my writing?

Could you be more specific as to the modern period you are writing about?  Going from the 1960s up to the present is way too broad.  If you don't have a more limited time period that would be my first criticism.

Not trying to either write your essay or your thesis but...
My quick take is that the 'sovereignty' movement emerged out of the Quiet Revolution in regards to perceived and real second class treatment of Francophones by Anglophones starting in the mid 1960s.

It was largely that generation that felt these perceived and real 'insults' that wanted to separate.  Since then, most younger Francophones now apparently agree that while they are Quebecers first, they are also proud Canadians and part of the world.  That may be more of a Montreal and area thing though, but the interest in separation appears to have fallen off for most Quebecers under the age of forty.  

That's my take from British Columbia.
msnmllr
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »

Well, I will say that it is an extremely ambitious topic for a paper so short, but if you are planning to keep things broad I guess I would suggest stringing the paper together through an analysis of a few key events. In other words, looking at change over time through these events as a lens.

If you send me your e-mail address in a PM I can send you a bunch of digital books and articles I have in my library. Most of it accumulated during my research process for a paper on the October Crisis, but there's a lot of stuff I didn't use that goes way beyond the FLQ, temporally and thematically.

Maybe it's too late for me to be sending resources though haha, so I'll leave it up to you. I'm not sure I have the time to read anything at the moment, unfortunately, and it probably wouldn't be worth your while anyway, because I don't know too much about Quebec other than what you'd get from a survey Canadian history course.

Could you be more specific as to the modern period you are writing about?  Going from the 1960s up to the present is way too broad.  If you don't have a more limited time period that would be my first criticism.

Not trying to either write your essay or your thesis but...
My quick take is that the 'sovereignty' movement emerged out of the Quiet Revolution in regards to perceived and real second class treatment of Francophones by Anglophones starting in the mid 1960s.

It was largely that generation that felt these perceived and real 'insults' that wanted to separate.  Since then, most younger Francophones now apparently agree that while they are Quebecers first, they are also proud Canadians and part of the world.  That may be more of a Montreal and area thing though, but the interest in separation appears to have fallen off for most Quebecers under the age of forty. 

That's my take from British Columbia.

Sorry guys, I forgot to clarify. When looking at the time period, I'm going from 1990 to the present time. I am not able to complete it all at the moment because it's an assignment spanning from this February to next January, so that's why it jumps from history to politics without finishing all the history of Quebec first.

The only problem is that I haven't hit the minimum post count in order to post links, but I hope this has clarified your questions
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies