Wallace in '76 Primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Wallace in '76 Primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wallace in '76 Primary?  (Read 689 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »

How come did Wallace so well outside of the South in the Democratic primary? He didn't win a state outside of the South, but he got double digits in other states. Was it socially conservative white ethnics? Rural Democrats?

Massachusetts 16.73% (3rd)
Illinois 27.58% (2nd)
Wisconsin 12.5% (3rd)
Pennsylvania 11.25% (4th)
Indiana 15.16% (2nd)
Arizona 6.97% (3rd)

DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »

He did even better in the '72 Primary, and he even hit 30% in some Appalachia counties and 10% in some Rust Belt, Great Plains and Far West counties in the '68 Presidential.   
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »

I think it was mostly blue-collar conservatives, urban and rural.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »

Seeing as there was nothing conservative about Wallace besides MAYBE his racism (if you're the type of person who actually considers racism to be an inherently conservative trait), I doubt it.

As for the OP, there are tons of bitter, racist populists outside of the South, and that was Wallace's voter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »

Seeing as there was nothing conservative about Wallace besides MAYBE his racism (if you're the type of person who actually considers racism to be an inherently conservative trait), I doubt it.

As for the OP, there are tons of bitter, racist populists outside of the South, and that was Wallace's voter.

Different definition of conservatism, buddy. Same as with Trump supporters. Not some academic, hoity-toity "constitutional government" types who've read Burke. No, these are people who've seen the "toriehood of change" and are quite scared of it so, yes, they'll vote to retain the American way of life as they understand it. The man won South Boston in '76 for God's sake.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »

Different definition of conservatism, buddy. Same as with Trump supporters. Not some academic, hoity-toity "constitutional government" types who've read Burke. No, these are people who've seen the "toriehood of change" and are quite scared of it so, yes, they'll vote to retain the American way of life as they understand it. The man won South Boston in '76 for God's sake.

And I see nothing conservative about South Boston, at least certainly not more conservative in nature than a DuPage County suburb that couldn't care less about gay marriage but enthusiastically sends Mark Kirk to DC.  I mean, only somewhat related, but is supporting the continuation of (aka "conserving") long-standing liberal or progressive programs/institutions a conservative view?  At what point does it become one?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

Actually Wallace was quite conservative in his '72 and '76 Democratic runs, calling for low taxes and fiscal responsibility.

Oddly, in '68, the one time he didn't run as a Democrat, was the time he ran as an economic populist.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »

I think he was considered a rather conservative candidate.  He may have renounced his racism, but I imagine most still thought of him as socially conservative on nearly every other issue.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »

I think he was considered a rather conservative candidate.  He may have renounced his racism, but I imagine most still thought of him as socially conservative on nearly every other issue.

I guess I was thinking more economically ... I'm really not aware of any of his stances on issues like abortion, honestly.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

Wallace was basically a modern day generic Republican in 72 and 76.

Also, he did well where Trump does well, where Whites are living near Blacks.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »

He was a foreign policy hawk and economic right-populist. It's hard for him not to get votes in the Midwest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies