Erdogan summons German envoy over satirical video
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:59:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan summons German envoy over satirical video
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Erdogan summons German envoy over satirical video  (Read 1893 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:22:44 AM »
« edited: March 29, 2016, 11:35:22 AM by DavidB. »

Our favorite Turkish dictator is at it again: he does not like a satirical video by extra 3, a program made by the German public broadcaster NDR. Therefore, he will formally declare protest and summon the German envoy in Ankara.

The video, based on Nena and Kim Wilde's hit song "Irgendwie, Irgendwo, Irgendwann" (in English known as "Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime"), is called "Erdowie, Erdowo, Erdogan" and mocks the lack of press freedom in Turkey, Erdogan's huge palace, the fact that Erdogan prefers to bomb the Kurds instead of his "brothers in faith" of ISIS, and the deal with the EU regarding refugees and negotiations for EU accession.

Perhaps hilarious, but very disturbing that the Turkish regime now seeks to curb the press freedom outside Turkey too.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »

Oh my, this video is hilarious Tongue
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:24:32 AM »

I hope he tells him to stick it up his...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:41 AM »

Evidence for my 'brain tumour' theory grows by the day!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »

It's always good to see the Streisand effect at play.  Wait, that stupid "right to be forgotten" law some of you have isn't going to come into play here is it?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

Maybe he was just always like this?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »

Yeah, Turkey has been down a very dangerous path lately.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »

Amazing video, Erdogan is a complete fool. But our (German) leaders are weak. They didn't response at all.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2016, 07:16:27 PM by DavidB. »

Amazing video, Erdogan is a complete fool. But our (German) leaders are weak. They didn't response at all.
Amazing how both Erdogan and the German leadership try to prove the video right, isn't it?

In the lmao department: after Erdogan's complaint, extra 3 published a version of the video with Turkish subtitles. Not sure if YouTube is accessible in Turkey at the moment, though...
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »

When you see how a French Président can be disconnected from reality, then those exotic guys like him or Putin are just victims of their 'testosneronned regimes'...
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »

Lol. erdogan.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »

Why should they?

Yes I know we all want our leaders react properly when the barbarians get uppity (no sarcasm). But we're better off with them not saying anything and take revenge in more subtle ways or sometimes in less subtle ways but when the opportunity is there (which was how Ghadaffy ended up sodomised with knives before someone shot him).
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/15/angela-merkel-agrees-prosecution-comedian-erdogan-poem?CMP=fb_gu

My dislike of Merkel grows stronger
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 07:39:58 AM »

Gross.  But (most) Europeans don't really understand freedom, so this shouldn't surprise anybody.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »

Invoking bestiality and paedophilia is very clearly unacceptable, regardless of whether it's directed towards a citizen or foreign dignitary. It's filth and slander, and the man should be prosecuted, as he will be. No police protection is deserved.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

To get a brain tumor one need to have a brain in the first place.
palandio

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »

Gross.  But (most) Europeans don't really understand freedom, so this shouldn't surprise anybody.

Actually I find it normal that Erdogan can sue Boehmermann for defamation. Let the courts decide whether what Boehmermann said on the show is libellous or not.

What I find problematic is that there is an extra paragraph (the so-called Shah paragraph) for defamation of a foreign head of state, that allows for higher sentences. Legal prosecution according to this paragraph requires the agreement of the government. (Legal prosecution according to the ordinary defamation paragraph does not require this.) I find this paragraph antiquated, why should foreign heads of state have privilegues? The government should not have agreed to legal prosecution according to the Shah paragraph. Erdogan has already requested legal prosecution according to the normal paragraph, that should be enough.

Invoking bestiality and paedophilia is very clearly unacceptable, regardless of whether it's directed towards a citizen or foreign dignitary. It's filth and slander, and the man should be prosecuted, as he will be. No police protection is deserved.

If you would have watched or read what Boehmerman said before and after the poem, he actually said something like "You must not say 'Erdogan is a pedophile, zoophile, etc.'". Of course you might say that this was a cheap trick so that Boehmermann could insult Erdogan and maybe it was.

Apart from that I have often read things like "That's not anymore satire, that's only filth and slander of the lowest immaginable level". Yes, of course, otherwise it would not have served its purpose. Boehmermann wanted to say something like "You feel insulted by the fact-based, satirical Extra3 song? I'll show you what a real insult is!" The way he did it was the best way to get his message heard.

Finally I find that many Germans when judging satire exhibit a very "conservative" concept of art, that ignores the fact that the artist interacts with his environment. Art doesn't take place in an empty space. It may provoke people. It may provoke reactions. It may provoke further developments, some of them calculated, some unpredicted. By this the work of art gets a higher relevance, the provoked developments become a part of the work, or the other way round, the work becomes only the first piece in a greater work.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 04:10:45 AM »

Böhmermann = Germany's Tender Branson

Much like our Forum fascists on here and their aiders and abettors who took my posts 100% (!) seriously, now the Islamo-Fascist Erdogan and his aiders and abettors in Germany are doing the same to Böhmermann.

Disgusting.
palandio

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 05:38:59 AM »

politically correct, naive left-leftists
Don't worry, they [politicians] are seeing it. But they are leading Europe into the abyss with their eyes wide open. In their quest to transform Europe into an impoverished wasteland like Syria and Africa ...
Don't worry, "Mhysa Merkel" will fix all of these problems ...

That was ironic? Or do I somehow not get your point here?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »

No, the statements above were absolutely correct.

I was talking about my comment to the Negusa guy about "flying over the Atlantic and punching his fu**ing face" - which was taken really seriously by the usual suspects on here and which even led Merkel Dave to de-mod me because of it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »

This is disgusting. Merkel should be forced to resign in shame for that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

Technically, there's a paragraph in Poland (originating, unsurprisingly, from the Brezhnev era due to dissidents) that makes it a felony to insult a foreign head of state. Was used to prosecute Jerzy Urban for "insulting John Paul II". Hell, if I were to prosecuted every time I insult a foreign leader, I'd never get out of prison.

Now I see we're not the only ones with that retarded laws.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »

Btw, I wonder if Erdogan is going to summon Dave over some comments in this thread.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »

This is disgusting. Merkel should be forced to resign in shame for that.

I'm more concerned by SDP being their usual doormat.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »

I wonder when the AKP will start to freeze out Erdogan? He's really a liability at this stage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies