Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2017, 08:36:12 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: AndrewTX, Likely Voter, Justice TJ)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 81 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 109083 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: August 25, 2017, 10:20:46 am »
Ignore

This story says Kasich/Hickenlooper is actually a real possibility:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper have entertained the idea of forming a unity presidential ticket to run for the White House in 2020, a source involved the discussions tells CNN.

Under this scenario, Kasich, a Republican, and Hickenlooper, a Democrat, would run as independents with Kasich at the top of the ticket, said the source, who cautioned it has only been casually talked about.

"The idea of a joint ticket has been discussed, but not at an organizational or planning level," said the source, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "What they are trying to show the country is that honorable people can disagree, but you can still problem solve together. It happens in businesses and it happens in families. Why can't it happen in Washington?"

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Acting Southern Delegate The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 25, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
Ignore

This story says Kasich/Hickenlooper is actually a real possibility:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper have entertained the idea of forming a unity presidential ticket to run for the White House in 2020, a source involved the discussions tells CNN.

Under this scenario, Kasich, a Republican, and Hickenlooper, a Democrat, would run as independents with Kasich at the top of the ticket, said the source, who cautioned it has only been casually talked about.

"The idea of a joint ticket has been discussed, but not at an organizational or planning level," said the source, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "What they are trying to show the country is that honorable people can disagree, but you can still problem solve together. It happens in businesses and it happens in families. Why can't it happen in Washington?"

Wow.

This would be absolutely stunning and exciting.

Moderate Republican

#NeverBernie

Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:32 am »
Ignore

Ha that'll be the day. A centrist unity ticket is a pipe dream.
Santander
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:14 pm »
Ignore

Ha that'll be the day. A centrist unity ticket is a pipe dream.
Center-left + center-right = schizophrenic, not centrist.

Shanah Tovah!

I'm pretty sure your political compass operates on a Z axis
Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 25, 2017, 12:20:30 pm »
Ignore

Al Franken 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -8.09, S: -4.61

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
Ignore

A centrist unity ticket would only help throw the election to the House where the likely GOP majority elects Trump.

Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 25, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »
Ignore

Democratic Representatives mentioned here as potential candidates:

-Rep. Grace Meng (NY-6)
-Rep. Tim Ryan (OH-13)
-Rep. Eric Swalwell (CA-15)
-Rep. Cheri Bustos (IL-17)
-Rep. Seth Moulton (MA-6)

This is a first mention I think I've seen of Grace Meng.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-hit-the-road-far-away-from-their-usual-voters-to-win-back-washington/2017/08/25/85fb3692-842f-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html?utm_term=.29a6ae4545fc

Also, Garcetti is doing a Hamptons meet and greet.

Shane Goldmacher‏ @ShaneGoldmacher
NEW: LA Mayor Eric Garcetti is headed to the HAMPTONS this weekend en route to NH. Billionaire donor Ronald Perelman hosting cocktails.

Replying to @ShaneGoldmacher
Garcetti, stoking 2020 talk, will campaign for Dem mayoral candidate in Manchester on Monday. Cocktails at Perelman's The Creeks on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/900787463446286336
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:39:54 pm by Castro »Logged
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 25, 2017, 03:16:49 pm »
Ignore

Here’s this week’s #2020Vision column:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/2020-vision-joe-biden-bernie-sanders-seiu-tim-ryan/index.html

Some stuff from Biden, including a South Carolina trip for which I forget if it’s already been mentioned:

On Thursday, Biden unveiled the title -- "Promise Me, Dad" -- and a bit about his book due out November 14. It'll be heavily focused on his son, Beau Biden, who died in 2015. The former vice president told People: "Honor, duty, responsibility: the values that Beau held dear are the things that continue to inspire us as a family every day. I wanted to share that. And in sharing it, I hope I can help others who have endured what we've endured to find hope, solace and purpose."

Biden's kept an active travel schedule, too. He'll speak at Guilford College in North Carolina on September 17, and then at a Charleston NAACP dinner in South Carolina on September 23. There's the "American Promise" book tour kicking off November 13 in New York City -- a website promoting the book lays out the dates. Then there's a series of leadership conferences in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal that will take him to Canada three times in October and November.

There’s also a reference to this story on Castro, which has this key line:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/24/castro-julian-joaquin-texas-241946

Julian has talked to many people about the lack of national Democratic figures to channel the rising power of Latinos, and how well-positioned he believes he is to occupy that space.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
AndrewCA🌹
wolfentoad66
Mauritius
View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 25, 2017, 03:54:20 pm »
Ignore

Also, Garcetti is doing a Hamptons meet and greet.

NEW: LA Mayor Eric Garcetti is headed to the HAMPTONS this weekend en route to NH. Billionaire donor Ronald Perelman hosting cocktails.

Why does my wonderful state produce such dreadful politicians?

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »
Ignore

Sunday morning talk show watch:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP

This Sunday, Sanders will be on Face the Nation, while John Kasich and Sherrod Brown will be on Meet the Press (a rare Sunday morning talk show appearance by Brown).

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 25, 2017, 11:08:54 pm »
Ignore

Democratic Representatives mentioned here as potential candidates:

-Rep. Grace Meng (NY-6)
-Rep. Tim Ryan (OH-13)
-Rep. Eric Swalwell (CA-15)
-Rep. Cheri Bustos (IL-17)
-Rep. Seth Moulton (MA-6)

This is a first mention I think I've seen of Grace Meng.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-hit-the-road-far-away-from-their-usual-voters-to-win-back-washington/2017/08/25/85fb3692-842f-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html?utm_term=.29a6ae4545fc

That story also includes this about Bullock:

"Montana Gov. Steve Bullock has made overtures to Iowa and South Carolina Democrats."

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:28 am »
Ignore

Franken's spokesman reiterates that Franken will not run for president in 2020.  However, some in his orbit suggest that there's a chance he could be talked into it:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/347889-franken-seen-as-reluctant-2020-candidate

Political associates of Al Franken say they think the Minnesota senator could be talked into running for the White House if he believes he’s the Democrat best positioned to defeat President Trump.

But they say Franken would need to be convinced and argue that the former “Saturday Night Live” star would be reluctant to enter a battle with a slew of other Democrats in what’s increasingly expected to be a wide-open race for party’s nomination.
Michael Dale-Stein, a spokesman for Franken, says no one should expect a Franken 2020 presidential bid.

“Sen. Franken is not going to run for president in 2020,” Dale-Stein said.
“People talk to him about it all the time, and the book has given him an even higher national profile, but I can tell you that this is not on his personal radar,” said Norm Ornstein, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and friend of Franken.

“You can never say that the circumstances wouldn’t all come together where there is a movement for him. But I can tell you … this is not something he plans to do or wants to do.”

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 27, 2017, 11:47:13 am »
Ignore

Kasich denies Kasich-Hickenlooper:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/kasich-2020-run-dem-hickenlooper-answer-no-n796356

“Look, ‘Kasich-Hickenlooper,’ first of all, you couldn’t pronounce it and second of all, you couldn’t fit it on a bumper sticker,” Kasich said on Sunday’s “Meet The Press.”

When host Chuck Todd pointed out that those words weren’t a denial, Kasich flatly said, “the answer is ‘no,’ okay.”

Biden writes an op/ed in The Atlantic in which he says that Trump “has emboldened white supremacists with messages of comfort and support.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/joe-biden-after-charlottesville/538128/

And Julian Castro calls Trump a pendejo over the Arpaio pardon:

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/901244569911734273

Clinton1996
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:44 pm »
Ignore

I was pretty sure Castro didn't even speak Spanish?

TexArkana

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 27, 2017, 05:27:49 pm »
Ignore

Shh, he has to appeal to Hispanics.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:47 pm »
Ignore

Shoot, this was a word that I didn't even realize I knew in Spanish, that I allegedly spoke to an Ex-GF back in '95 after we had an argument over the phone a few hours after we came home from going to a strip-club down the road and I had apparently consumed way too much Whiskey.

So, idk about Julian's fluency in Spanish, but pretty sure he is much more fluent than myself, even although I had a year of College Spanish in my Mid '20s, and learned tons more Spanish working with a majority Latino workforce in Houston Texas in the early 2010s...

He's basically "calling a dog a dog" using a pejorative nickname/term in Spanish, where frequently among Mexican-Americans using nicknames are common as descriptive terms to refer to individuals in social circles (Frequently not in a pejorative sense). I had a couple Spanish language nicknames among the 200 people I worked with in Houston, that were heavily Latino.

One referenced the color of my skin (Red) because I have Rosacea which is very common among people of Northern European Ancestry, and another where I was called "The Peoples Boss"....

Nicknames are not unusual among Spanish speakers in Texas, and in fact in Mexico Trump's "nickname" well before the 2016 GE was Payaso....

I'm sure that calling Trump a Pendejo or a Payaso, is politically speaking using relatively soft gloves in the event he is preparing for a major WWE style boxing round to go "toe-to-toe" with Trump.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »
Ignore

More Franken:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/08/27/talking-points-sen-al-franken-state-fair/

Senator Franken said, “So that is so flattering to hear that but that is nothing I want to do. I want to run for re-election. I want to represent Minnesota. I love my job and I want to represent Minnesota in the Senate.”

The story says that Klobuchar also "brushed aside" talk of running for president, but doesn't provide the exact quote.  Without a quote being given, I'm going to assume that it was the kind of non-denial denial she's given other times that she's been asked.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
Ignore

"Everyone's running for president in 2020":

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/everyone-s-running-president-2020-n796116

kyc0705
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:47 pm »
Ignore

"Everyone's running for president in 2020"

Can confirm. I have had seven Draft PACs launched in my name already even though I will never be constitutionally eligible. I have also rented condos in Iowa and New Hampshire, like everyone else.

My political beliefs:
Kringla Heimsins
France

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:16 pm »
Ignore

CORRECTION (Aug. 28, 2017, 11:56 a.m.): An earlier version of this article misspelled the last name of South Bend’s mayor.

Sometimes, the jokes write themselves.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »
Ignore

Warren courting civil rights leaders.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H.L. Mencken
President Rich Cordray
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 28, 2017, 08:29:03 pm »
Ignore

It'll be a sh!tshow primary I tell ya.

Hello, I'm Richard "Robin Hood" Cordray. I take from the rich financial institutions and give it to the working class. I'm basically Bernie Sanders if Bernie Sanders actually did work and had accomplishments.

• 12 billion dollars back to consumers.
• Head of the CFPB.
• 5 time Jeopardy champion.
• Next Ohio Governor.

And just what has lazy Bernie done? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »
Ignore

This story says that (shocker!) many of the likely 2020 Dem. candidates who claim to not yet be thinking about 2020 are lying, and are in fact holding presidential strategy sessions with aides and looking at campaign hires:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/28/2020-democrats-new-hampshire-garcetti-242121?lo=ap_f1

Behind the scenes, big donors have been getting chased nonstop by candidates who like to deny that they’re anywhere near thinking about being candidates. Strategy sessions are quietly being held. Preliminary calls are going out about potential staff hires. That’s normal, though a little accelerated.

Also, here's Garcetti during his trip to NH:

A man at one of the stops told Garcetti, after the obligatory cellphone photo: “Come back sometime.”

“I will,” the mayor said.

“Maybe when you run for president.”

“Maybe. We’ll see.”

By the next stop, Garcetti had shifted. Come back soon, a man told him as he headed for the car to the airport for the flight home.

“I will,” he said.

Santander
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:33 pm »
Ignore

It is a gross misunderstanding of Trump to believe that his win means anyone run for President and win now.

Shanah Tovah!

I'm pretty sure your political compass operates on a Z axis
henster
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 30, 2017, 08:35:11 am »
Ignore

I don't know what Garcetti is thinking he is a quintessential big city liberal 'coastal elite' probably the worst kind of candidate for WWC voters.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 81 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout