The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213088 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: April 20, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »

Warren said on Maddow that she's not running in 2020, although she uses the present tense.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1126 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »

McMullin considering running for Chaffetz’s seat in Congress:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/evan-mcmullin-weighs-bid-for-chaffetzs-house-seat/article/2620733

Presumably if McMullin is elected to Congress in 2018, that means no quixotic primary campaign for him against Trump (or another 3rd party bid) in 2020.

Warren said on Maddow that she's not running in 2020, although she uses the present tense.

Yeah, I don’t take that to be a definitive denial about future intentions.  It’s a similar non-denial that we get from almost all the candidates, that’s more “I’m not running for president right now, but might do so in the future.”

More telling is her response in this USA Today interview from a few days ago, where she declines to make any kind of ironclad pledge to serve her full term in the Senate if she’s reelected.  Even after Susan Page calls her out on the fact that she’s not offering a Shermanesque denial, she doubles down on not giving a Shermanesque denial:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/17/elizabeth-warren-fearless-foe-against-charging-donald-trump/100499096/

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1127 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »

Yeah, the contrast between her statements now and her statements in 2013-2015 make me suspect she is running, or seriously considering.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1128 on: April 20, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »

Yeah, the contrast between her statements now and her statements in 2013-2015 make me suspect she is running, or seriously considering.

Some news organization should ask literally every Democratic Senator and governor who's up for reelection in 2018 if they pledge to serve the entirety of their term rather than run for some other office before their term is up, should they be reelected.....just to see which of them gives an evasive answer.  I bet most of the random backbenchers would agree to a pledge like that, it's just that no one ever asks them, so we won't know for sure.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1129 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

For the second time in the past week or so, Warner’s asked about 2020, and dodges the question with an “I’m just focused on my current job” response, even though he previously gave a Shermanesque denial back in November:

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2017/apr/21/sen-warner-trump-and-russia-we-have-find-out-truth/

Meanwhile, at Hillary Clinton’s speech in NY last night, this happened:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/hillary-clinton-warns-trump-wont-defend-lgbt-rights/article/2620872

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1130 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

Here’s a 2 minute video clip of an interview with Kamala Harris:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sen-Kamala-Harris-in-Bay-Area-to-Talk-About-Trump-Future-419799104.html

In the last few seconds of the clip, the interviewer asks “Are you going to run for president in 2020?”

Harris laughs, then says “I don’t even know what I’m having for dinner.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1131 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »

O'Malley's going to be at Penn State on Wednesday to debate(?) former Sen. Kelly Ayotte (NH):

https://onwardstate.com/2017/04/21/former-governor-martin-omalley-to-debate-former-new-hampshire-senator-kelly-ayotte-in-great-debate/

The topic will be "American Politics: Where We Are and Where We Should Go.”

He's not in office anymore, so he's got to stay in shape in the offseason.  Town halls and debates every week from now until 2020!  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1132 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »

Sunday morning talk show watch:

Kasich and Sanders will both be Face the Nation this Sunday.  And in more longshot primary challenger news, Mark Sanford will be on State of the Union:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP
JamesAStanton
United States

« Reply #1133 on: April 22, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »

January 1, 2020-
After the resignation of Donald J. Trump in January 2018 following a pool of scandal regarding Russia, Mike Pence was sworn in as President. For 2 years Pence has put the nation on a very conservative track, with results that ended up in disaster. Both Republicans and Democrats agree that he went too far, and now Pence, with his approvals in the 30s, has to face of a primary challenger before he can even think about the General Election. Meanwhile on the Democrats side a contest brews as well.

REPUBLICANS-

After many primaries and close calls the Republicans choose President Pence over John Kasich at the Convention after they went in undecided. Pence chose his Vice President Paul Ryan to be his running mate.

DEMOCRATS-

With many candidates like the Republicans in 2016 at the beginning, the race narrowed down by Super Tuesday to Corey Booker and Bernie Sanders...by the last primary Sanders narrowly gained the Democratic Presidential Nomination and chose Mr. Booker as his running mate.

GENERAL ELECTION-

After campaigning, debates, etc. Bernie Sanders defies all odds and goes on to destroy Pence in the General election...winning the White House.

(I apologize if I went a bit too far.)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1134 on: April 22, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 01:25:11 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

At the Warren event in Chicago today. Very conspicuously a 2018 fundraiser and nothing more; limited staff visibility, no data capture of attendees, etc.

That said, the organist of the old-timey theater in which it's being held was playing the score of "Oklahoma!" So maybe she's trying to get back in touch with her middle America roots Tongue
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #1135 on: April 22, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »

I don't think dems will be choosing any outsiders, especially billionaires like Disney and Cuban.
The narrative for dems in '20 will be "Where were you when Trump put everything on the line, did you fight back, if so how and was it effective"
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1136 on: April 23, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »

I don't think dems will be choosing any outsiders, especially billionaires like Disney and Cuban.

Disney?  Smiley
kyc0705

« Reply #1137 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

Disney?  Smiley

I'm reminded of a particular timeline on AH.com...
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #1138 on: April 23, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »

The narrative for dems in '20 will be "Where were you when Trump put everything on the line, did you fight back, if so how and was it effective"

This might sound crazy, but I think Oprah would be the only Dem "outsider" with a shot/would be able to get support.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1139 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

Kasich

From this discussion of Kasich’s new book:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/ohio/10-things-john-kasichs-book-says-about-donald-trump-and-a-few-other-people/433506282

Sanford

Mark Sanford is asked if there’s any chance of him running for prez in 2020, and he says no:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4RitC9X0A&t=6m3s
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #1140 on: April 23, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

This might sound crazy, but I think Oprah would be the only Dem "outsider" with a shot/would be able to get support.

Not crazy at all. If America is taking the celebrity/reality star track, then I want Oprah to run with Suze Orman and a promise to appoint Judge Judy to the Supreme Court.
dirks

« Reply #1141 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »

Warren is older than I thought she was. She'd actually be 71 by 2020.

I think she's going to run, there will be a Draft Liz movement and she'll jump in with much fanfare. While she is a darling of the left wing, I also think she comes across as pretty shrill and nasty to many people as well. Even Bernie can seem likeable as this sort of doddering, disheveled old grandpa. Warren is better served as a constant attack dog nipping at Trump for the next 4 years. She could work as VP....but I don't think she should be at the top of any ticket
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1142 on: April 24, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »

January 1, 2020-
After the resignation of Donald J. Trump in January 2018 following a pool of scandal regarding Russia, Mike Pence was sworn in as President. For 2 years Pence has put the nation on a very conservative track, with results that ended up in disaster. Both Republicans and Democrats agree that he went too far, and now Pence, with his approvals in the 30s, has to face of a primary challenger before he can even think about the General Election. Meanwhile on the Democrats side a contest brews as well.

REPUBLICANS-

After many primaries and close calls the Republicans choose President Pence over John Kasich at the Convention after they went in undecided. Pence chose his Vice President Paul Ryan to be his running mate.

DEMOCRATS-

With many candidates like the Republicans in 2016 at the beginning, the race narrowed down by Super Tuesday to Corey Booker and Bernie Sanders...by the last primary Sanders narrowly gained the Democratic Presidential Nomination and chose Mr. Booker as his running mate.

GENERAL ELECTION-

After campaigning, debates, etc. Bernie Sanders defies all odds and goes on to destroy Pence in the General election...winning the White House.

(I apologize if I went a bit too far.)
*cringe*

Take your Bernie fetish elsewhere.

In other news...

Rundown of Democratic candidates:
  • Rocky de la Fuente
  • Uhh...
  • Hillary (?)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1143 on: April 25, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »

Andrew Cuomo's new Chief of Staff is Maria Comella, a Republican former aide to Christie, Giuliani, Bush, and McCain.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/politics/maria-comella-chris-christie-andrew-cuomo/index.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1144 on: April 25, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

Kasich was asked about a 2020 presidential run at last night’s CNN town hall, and he didn’t rule it out:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/330376-kasich-wont-close-door-on-2020-presidential-run

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1145 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »

Kasich was asked about a 2020 presidential run at last night’s CNN town hall, and he didn’t rule it out:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/330376-kasich-wont-close-door-on-2020-presidential-run

Kasich sounded very "left" in the Daily show, not just about immigration & social issues & stuff but he was like "epipen price increase" & have to protect medicaid expansion & what not !
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1146 on: April 26, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »

"5 Signs Elizabeth Warren Will Run For President In 2020":

https://www.bustle.com/p/5-signs-elizabeth-warren-will-run-for-president-in-2020-53537
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1147 on: April 26, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »

That's how we can recreate the Nixon vs. McGovern map in 2020.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1148 on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »

Biden makes an appearance at a massive 20k rally at the Verizon Center; receives a standing ovation from the crowd.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1149 on: April 28, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »

Julian Castro says “I won’t take it off the table” when asked about a presidential run in 2020:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/04/lord-ashcroft-in-texas-voters-arent-sure-if-trump-is-right-about-everything-scary-or-both.html

And here’s Kasich in NH:

http://www.nh1.com/news/asked-about-a-2020-run-kasich-tells-nh1-news-i-don-t-know-what-s-going-to-happen-/

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies