The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:27:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213009 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

Don't quotes like this seem to indicate that Warren is not planning to run? Merkley and Warren are colleagues and factional allies, and Merkley doesn't strike me as an egomaniac. If he knew she were running he would A) know what's better for the progressive cause and B ) know his chances running against her.

I think so too. I've been getting the sense lately that she's thinking of not running, but maybe that's just me.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1401 on: June 11, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2017, 11:34:35 AM by Mr. Morden »

Don't quotes like this seem to indicate that Warren is not planning to run? Merkley and Warren are colleagues and factional allies, and Merkley doesn't strike me as an egomaniac. If he knew she were running he would A) know what's better for the progressive cause and B ) know his chances running against her.

There's no reason to believe the Senators talk to each other about whether they're going to run for president.  Why would they?  What is gained by such conversations at this early stage?  I'm assuming that they only talk to a handful of their closest advisors (and not fellow politicians) about such things.  I don't think Merkley knows anything more than we do about whether Warren is running.  In fact, it's possible that he knows less, since he's probably not reading this thread.  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1402 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »

Hickenlooper asked if he’s going to run for president at about the 31:40 mark of this podcast:

link

He goes on for about three minutes, and doesn’t answer the question.  He just talks about how all he’s thinking about is what to do as governor during his remaining time in office.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #1403 on: June 12, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

Merkely is the second best option after his fellow Oregonian, Wyden. And since Wyden almost certainly won't run, Merkely is the best semi-probable choice.

The right question to ask is how Merkely's voice will stand out in a crowded primary and, perhaps more importantly, how he'll raise money. Absent Sanders and Warren running, Merkely may be able to leverage the Sanders database, but it's a leap to assume the Sanders donors will immediately support Merkely.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1404 on: June 13, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »

Politico did an article on VA Gov. Terry McAuliffe. It seems like he is gearing towards a 2020 run
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1405 on: June 13, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »

Oprah rules out not just running for president, but anything else:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/entertainment/oprah-running-president/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1406 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »

Jeff Merkley and Pete Buttigieg are going to Iowa:

"2020 Watch: Merkley, Buttigieg to headline Progress Iowa Corn Feed"

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2017/06/13/2020-watch-merkley-buttigieg-headline-progress-iowa-corn-feed/391478001/

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1407 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »

Oprah will never run for office.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1408 on: June 13, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

Politico did an article on VA Gov. Terry McAuliffe. It seems like he is gearing towards a 2020 run

Here’s the story:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/13/terry-mcauliffe-2020-off-message-239459

Lots of fun details in there, like the fact that McAuliffe talks to Bill Clinton every day, and that, according to one “insider”, the McAuliffe team is already talking about what month he should announce his presidential candidacy:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1409 on: June 13, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »

Jane Sanders on her husband’s presidential prospects:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bernie-sanders-will-play-a-major-role-in-2020-jane-sanders-says/article/2625747

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1410 on: June 13, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »

Communists have a hard time letting go of power.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1411 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2017, 09:11:58 PM by Bull Moose Base »

Didnt brace myself for Jane Sanders saying Bernie wears her out. Isn't the FBI investigation into Jane one of the things that reportedly deters Bernie from running.

I bet McAuliffe will get enough cold water thrown on the idea that he won't end up running.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1412 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

Communists have a hard time letting go of power.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1413 on: June 13, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »

"major role" sounds a lot more like endorsing than running to me.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1414 on: June 13, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think Sanders will run in 2020. He'll likely try and rally as much momentum as possible into the progressive challenger in the race once the field narrows down. Whether that's Warren, Brown, Franken, etc. He'll do his best to get them through the primaries. His support and his wing of the Party will definitely put that candidate at a significant advantage.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #1415 on: June 13, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think Sanders will run in 2020. He'll likely try and rally as much momentum as possible into the progressive challenger in the race once the field narrows down. Whether that's Warren, Brown, Franken, etc. He'll do his best to get them through the primaries. His support and his wing of the Party will definitely put that candidate at a significant advantage.

I actually think he might take a bit longer to endorse and want certain candidates to proverbially "kiss the ring." I mean, the main reason he was in the race last year from April-June was so that he could pick up delegates to shape the party platform. If it's Warren vs. Booker, yes, he likely endorses right away but it's likely the field will be much bigger than that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1416 on: June 13, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

I actually think he might take a bit longer to endorse and want certain candidates to proverbially "kiss the ring." I mean, the main reason he was in the race last year from April-June was so that he could pick up delegates to shape the party platform. If it's Warren vs. Booker, yes, he likely endorses right away but it's likely the field will be much bigger than that.

Yep.  To the extent that one can influence the candidates in the race, leverage is maximized by dangling the possibility of an endorsement out there for a while (but not yet granting it), so as to encourage the candidates to run on more Sanders-friendly policy platforms, in order to win his favor.  Once he actually endorses a specific person, then the other candidates have no reason to listen to him anymore.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1417 on: June 13, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »

^ That does actually make a lot more sense. Tongue
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1418 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »

Yep.  To the extent that one can influence the candidates in the race, leverage is maximized by dangling the possibility of an endorsement out there for a while (but not yet granting it), so as to encourage the candidates to run on more Sanders-friendly policy platforms, in order to win his favor.  Once he actually endorses a specific person, then the other candidates have no reason to listen to him anymore.

On top of all of that, the best way to stay the top "progressive" in the ring is by dangling a run over everyones head. That keeps his name at the top of the rung and makes his endorsement much more valued. Imagine a Bernie who "plans to run in 2018" but decides against it "for family issues" then he goes and dangles an endorsement. His legacy becomes the father of American progressives and bestows a successor.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #1419 on: June 14, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »

Saturday: Joe Biden will speak at the FL Dems' leadership gala fundraiser

http://www.floridadems.org/news/florida-democratic-party-announces-former-vice-president-joe-biden-as-keynote-speaker-for-annual-leadership-blue-gala
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1420 on: June 14, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »

The Sanders' endorsement in under-rated. Our-Revolution now has local offices, volunteers in even red states like Texas & is focusing on City Council, School boards, State Leg elections too & they have 4 years till now. They have Bernie Sanders' email list to raise huge money without Pac baggage. You have an army of volunteers & passionate young supporters. Bernie is a big draw in TV & has massive name recognition. He also has the progressive touch to his brand which helps in a Democratic primary.

Bernie should hold out as much as possible. Universal healthcare, student debt issues or climate change will should be key issues to getting his endorsement (as should be the history of the candidate).
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #1421 on: June 17, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »

"Frank from Palm Beach" called into Michael Smerconish's radio show this week, ahead of Joe Biden's appearance at the Florida Dems' Leadership Blue gala. Smerconish asked him about 2020 and I just saw it on his show, so sorry for not having a link/source.

Turns out Frank from Palm Beach was Frank Biden, youngest brother of Joe Biden.

Smerconish: Is there any prospect he's got one more run in him?

Biden: Absolutely! Absolutely… Why anyone wold think otherwise, I don't know.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1422 on: June 17, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »

Politico is out with a new piece on Jason Kander.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/17/how-jason-kander-won-by-losing-215271?cmpid=sf
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1423 on: June 17, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »

Many potential candidates are unknown from the public.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/17/democrats-2020-presidential-candidates-who-are-they-239612
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1424 on: June 17, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/politics/2020-vision-democrats-tim-ryan-kamala-harris/index.html

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies