The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:48:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213514 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:41:30 PM »

De Blasio is left nowhere - Neither on the Bernie camp nor Hillary although he is trying to cosy up to Bernie to get the progressive rub off further.

But he is only a big city mayor. IMO he should run for Senate or be a governor to be considered seriously. I think he will run for NY Governor soon!

Hope xingkerui is right & we don't get Booker, Kaine, Gillebrand, Coumo type but a firebrand progressive with strong appeal to young voters - 4 years is a long time & new leaders will come too
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:58 AM »

Gillibrand is pleading to Hillary donors for their support to mount a run for 2020 - She is Hillary II IMO.

Booker also seems interested as does Warren.

But if Biden & Bernie run this will be a 2 horse race & all these vanilla midgets will struggle to reach even 10%.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:04:55 AM »

It's at the end, but Bernie Sanders is on MSNBC now with Chris Hayes. Entire hour is dedicated to him addressing (largely) Trump voters in Wisconsin. Looks like he's interested in presidential politics again to me.

Either ways he will have a say. If he is not fit, he will create a movement for some1 like Warren to latch onto. He has more guts & cross-over appeal than most. I can't see a Warren or a Hillary do this or address Liberty University.

Anyways Biden again hinted at a 2020 leader calling himself one of the Dem leaders.

And as weird as it may sound Hillary may run again - They have plenty of ammunition including more than than the 2M popular vote win , Russia, Comey, Fake news etc.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »

I posted this in another thread -

Booker & Warren take committee assignments to boost foreign policy for 2020 run

Democratic Sens. Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren, two rising stars in the party who are already talked about as presidential contenders in 2020, are taking committee assignments next year that will burnish their foreign policy credentials ahead of a potential national run.

Booker will join the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 2017, giving the New Jersey Democrat a powerful perch on a panel that grapples with weighty matters such as authorizing war and leveling sanctions against foreign governments. The first-term senator will also have a front-row seat for the confirmation fight over Rex Tillerson, President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of state.

Warren will become the newest Democratic member of the Armed Services Committee, adding military credentials to a legislative portfolio heavy on domestic policy. That committee has a high-profile nomination fight as well: retired Gen. James Mattis, whom Trump will nominate to lead the Pentagon.

Source - Politico

The Sanders wing will be completely fractured because there will be another strong progressive in the primary surely as Warren is not acceptable universally & she is a weak candidate too IMO.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »

Addendum to this list of early primary state visits this year: I guess, in addition to campaigning in NH, Warren also campaigned for both Clinton and Masto in Nevada in early November:

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/30/elizabeth-warren-campaign-wednesday-northern-nevada/93013968/

It's not totally clear that Nevada will still be an early caucus state in 2020, but it might be.

I think NH, NV, IW & SC are logical. 4 states from the North East, Mid-west, West coast & deep south - SC having large black population while NV has a solid hispanic population. 3 of the 4 states are purple or battleground states.

They will stick with NV. Logically I would prefer NC to SC as NC is a swing state & it makes sense for Dems to campaign more there.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:11 AM »

He knew it was gonna lose in a landslide, that showboat !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »

Lol @ Kasich running.

Republican Leaders don''t have the balls to stand up to Trump!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »

Did people see the Booker CNN interview? He spoke garbage & big lines all the time & was not making sense. He will probably turn out to be worse than Hillary & is possibly beyond repair at this point !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »

Chelsea Clinton is writing a book of sorts "She persisted" which will have tales of many women including her mother !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »

Hey Mr. Modern, I just wanted to give a public shout-out to how awesome it is that you spend your time finding and posting all these articles. I wouldn't be nearly as up to date on what is going on in the political world if it wasn't for you and the other awesome posters on this and other threads on the Atlas.

Fantastic job truly !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:15 AM »

Jeff Merkley's national political profile went up, holding the Senate floor in opposition to the Gorsuch Supreme Court nomination...

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/filibuster-nuclear-option-Senate-Jeff-Merkley/2017/04/04/id/782554/

Ginsberg better be taking her damn vitamins. If her (or Breyer) kick the can before 2020 then all the pro-filibuster Senators are not going to look as nearly as wise and in-touch-with-the-base as they do now

Pretty ridiculous argument considering GOP will nuke the filibuster then. If the GOP is ready to change rules & nuke the filibuster, what guarantee is it there that they won't do it again? Especially if something happens to RBG in 2018, you think they will keep the seat open for 2-3 years ?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »

Jeff Merkley's national political profile went up, holding the Senate floor in opposition to the Gorsuch Supreme Court nomination...

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/filibuster-nuclear-option-Senate-Jeff-Merkley/2017/04/04/id/782554/

If Bernie doesn't run in 2020 (which is pretty likely give his age), I wonder what happens if both Merkley & Warren run. It will totally split the Bernie wing as both are great progressives !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »

If Bernie doesn't run in 2020 (which is pretty likely give his age), I wonder what happens if both Merkley & Warren run. It will totally split the Bernie wing as both are great progressives !

True, and both appeal to somewhat different segments of the Progressive Democratic coalition....

Warren likely would play better in parts of the NE/Central Atlantic, as well as in more well-heeled suburbs throughout the country.

Merkley will likely do much better in Western States, and the MidWest in general, as well as rural and small town areas in Appalachia, PA, and upstate NY....

Key question is how both candidates will perform in the Southern primaries, as well as places like Texas and the Southwest.....

Well atleast progressives have 2 good candidates to choose from - The only problem with Warren is her lack of political courage & willingness to always play it safe which will hinder her success somewhat. The problem with Merkley is that he is too subdued & moderate energy when people are looking for a great firebrand orator!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 02:50:19 AM by Shadows »

Cory Booker continues his theatrics. His twitter is even more entertaining than Trump. Does he not realize how phony & fake he sounds or is it some Million $ Image Consultant which advised him?

@CoryBooker  Apr 7 / Joining my friend & colleague @SenFranken to discuss new legislation to reduce cost of prescription drugs.

Cory Booker Retweeted /Monica‏ @MonicaChon  Apr 7 /Wrapping up a facebook live with @alfranken & @CoryBooker on lowering prescription drug cost bill!!

Cory Booker Retweeted Rick Hasen / Yes I did. Cory Booker added
@rickhasen / Did you see @CoryBooker came up to vote for Gorsuch and gave the thumbs down side?

@CoryBooker  Apr 5 / When angry, be kind; when happy, be kind; when rushed, be kind; when frustrated, be kind; whenever, be kind.
@CoryBooker Cory,  you are awesome.
@CoryBooker  Apr 5 /Cory Booker Retweeted Francesca L / Me = Alright. We = Awesome.

@CJBesch / @CoryBooker  / My son is Cory...  But your dramatics are so unbearable I had to turn you off.
@CoryBooker  Apr 4 / Cory Booker Retweeted Carol Besch / May God bless both you and your son. I hope Cory grows up to be an even more kind and loving person than either you or me
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »

Kasich was asked about a 2020 presidential run at last night’s CNN town hall, and he didn’t rule it out:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/330376-kasich-wont-close-door-on-2020-presidential-run

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kasich sounded very "left" in the Daily show, not just about immigration & social issues & stuff but he was like "epipen price increase" & have to protect medicaid expansion & what not !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.

Also bringing up legitimate grievances with President Obama's legitimate lack of leadership on these issues but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huh? Obama has already hinted that he wants to get rid of gerrymandering, improve civic participation, and to get money out of politics.

He's already made great strides.
But he took Cantor Fitzgerald's money which means he is evil and part of the cabal that is ruining our democracy despite his actions that prove otherwise

Seriously, I maintain that Cantor Fitzgerald wanted to talk to the guy who killed Bin Laden considering the entire firm was nearly taken out on 9/11 and that Obama should get paid for spending his valuable time speaking with them.

Is that gonna be the go to excuse now every time one of these politicians cozies up to Wall Street? Hillary Clinton made the 9/11 argument last year to justify taking money from Wall Street as well. This is getting absurd.

We're gonna get our asses handed to us again in 2018 and 2020 until Democrats stop being the soft Party of the rich.
For Christ's sake.

Immediately following 9/11, corporate firms were exploring moving their headquarters to rural areas so that they wouldn't get decimated in a terrorist attack. Who's gonna attack East Bumblefuck Montana?

So employees of these firms wanted to continue living in New York City and did not want to move to East Bumblefuck. So when Hillary fought against these companies moving to East Bumblefuck (because if they left the economy of the city, already in bad condition following the attacks, would've collapsed), the employees of those firms appreciated it.

She laid an egg in the debate by not explaining it. But that is what happened. Do I know why Obama's speaking at Cantor Fitzgerald? No. But I do know 9/11 impacted these firms*. And politicians' reactions and actions in the aftermath impacted the people who work for them. To act like they didn't isn't telling the whole story.

*Especially Cantor Fitzgerald. They lost 68% of the workforce on 9/11, including the CEO's brother. Almost 700 employees in all. You don't have to like their business, but they were impacted by 9/11, and do have an interest in Barack Obama other than his fiscal policies.

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.
I'll never forget the "we trusted you" chants.
Disgusting. Sanders was not owed her support. Apparently the two don't even get along very well, and Warren strikes me as a much more pragmatic politician.

Well, no, she didn't "owe" Sanders her support, or anything like that. Endorsing Hillary Clinton in the primary is still a huge indictment on her character, though.
Stop revising history. She endorsed after Hillary had already won the nomination. She said throughout the primary she was going to endorse her party's nominee. She did. To hold that against her is ridiculously asinine.

Ridiculous & clueless post. For one, Bernie & Warren have known each other for atleast a decade, even when was a teacher at Harvard. Warren recently did a rally for Our-Revolution in Mass & talked about going to meet all politicians in US a decade back for policy issues & how everyone was quite but 1 old grumpy white man kept asking her pointed questions with back n forth with everyone watching & how her friendship with Bernie developed since then. If Bernie had won not only would Warren be the VP, but as Bernie explicitly said she discussed with all strong progressives & would have not run had Warren run & Bernie mentioned that he had discussed most of his policies with Warren before his run !

Anyways Bernie is pretty pragmatic & compromising in many respects, for example that Income bar of 100K for Free tuition was a bad idea, much complicated & will lead to 2 classes & universality is essential to preserve a program for long so this will be on the chopping bloc. Bernie Sanders not only passed the most ground-breaking Veterans healthcare bill, but also was the amendment king while in the House. What has Warren passed? Hillary had 3 bills passed while in Senate, naming post offices n stuff.

You can't be a top leader & be a political coward. Elizabeth Warren openly called Hillary a corrupt person who sells votes for money & then didn't endorse Bernie because she was power hungry & wanted to leave the option for VP (& doesn't have the political courage to run for POTUS). She stayed away from the biggest political fight for progressives in decades & she has to work hard now to get the Bernie wing vote (which is much larger than the previous Warren wing).

Honestly not endorsing is not a big deal, it's her wish, but Bernie Sanders' supporters supported a once in many decades leader who had the potential to be one of the best POTUS' in history, so to expect more political courage is not an unwise expectation !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 06:26:52 AM »

Jake Tapper to Bill Maher - How about Elizabeth Warren for 2020? Who will you support!

Maher - I am still a Bernie supporter, he was getting 20,000 young folks when Hillary couldn't get big crowds! We have to stop this ageism, there are people who grow old at 45 & people who work hard at an old age (Look at how Jerry Brown did at California).

I hope Bernie runs atleast to keep people honest, to tell the truth so that we can stop the pandering & BS & everyone has to step up !

Interview - At CNN
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 05:05:02 AM »

Kasich+Martin O'Malley are the most blatantly obvious candidate we've had in a long time.

FTFY

Cory Booker is the person guaranteed to run (assuming O'Malley will realize he is a joke, has no support in the polls & is present only for entertainment & will drop out). Then maybe Kasich!

If I had to bet on 1 person, it will be Cory Booker !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »

This is getting crazy. All nobodies, without any political experience, joke candidates without any policies are supposedly legit contenders now that Trump is the President. Guess Democrats want their own clown show !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »

If Kasich is smart, he should consider running as an independent!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »

Elizabeth Warren went on to the Young turks & had a 30 minute interview.

Cenk Uygur pushed her on not endorsing Bernie in 2016 (including Bernie's ideological similarity & marginal losses in Iowa, Mass), what she feels about primarying centrist democrats, her support & U-turn on Ben Carson, effect of money in politics, praised her work for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, called her the 2nd most progressive in the Senate & asked her if she doesn't run & Bernie runs in 2020, will she enthusiastically endorse & campaign for Bernie ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmVAygJh7js&t=14s
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »

My childhood in Brooklyn was shaped by two profound realities. First, my mom, dad and older brother Larry, who graduated from Brooklyn College, lived in a 3 1/2 room rent-controlled apartment. As with many families who don’t have a lot of money, financial pressures caused friction and tension within our household. From those experiences I have never forgotten that there are millions of people throughout this country who struggle to put food on the table, pay the electric bill, try to save for their kids’ education or for retirement—people who face painful and stress-filled decisions every single day.

The second reality that impacted my life was that my father left Poland at the age of 17 from a community which was not only very poor, but from a country where anti-semitism, pogroms and attacks on Jews were not uncommon. While my father emigrated to the United States, and escaped Hitler and the holocaust, many in his family did not. For them, racism, right-wing extremism and ultra-nationalism were not “political issues.” They were issues of life and death—and they died.

In response to these very serious problems it seems to me that we have two choices. First we can throw up our hands in despair. We can loudly proclaim that we can’t beat the system. It is not an acceptable response because the reality that we face today impacts not only our lives, but the lives of our children, the lives of our grandchildren and, with regard to climate change, the very future of this planet. The truth is that the only rational choice we have is to stand up and fight back—reclaim American democracy and create a government that works for all of us, and not just the 1 percent.

Sanders with a moving commencement speech at Brooklyn College

https://qz.com/994609/transcript-heres-bernie-sanders-full-commencement-speech-at-brooklyn-college/
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 04:58:14 AM »

Cenk Uygur in England & interviewed Larry Sanders, Bernie's brother & asked him if Bernie will run in 2020.

Larry said Bernie hasn't ruled it out & that Larry couldn't run around the country at 20 the way Bernie is doing now & that Bernie Sanders is in extra-ordinary good health. And that they spoke every 2 weeks earlier but now that Bernie is doing a crazy schedule, they speak less often !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpMDgCsWXM
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 05:02:09 AM »

The 2020 Democratic field will be all packed up -

Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Andrew Cuomo, Terry McAuliffe, Martin O'Malley, Amy Klobuchar, Kirsten Gillibrand, Chris Murphy & perhaps any Bullock, Kerry or even Hillary !

Either would, it would be 1 heck of a primary with some fantastic debates !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 10:25:05 AM »

Jerry Brown is already 79, 5 years older than Biden, 4 years older than Bernie & he's kicking ass. He's done a really solid job as CA Gov. & deserves credit for what he did !
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies