The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:12:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213485 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »

Well if Bernie and Biden don't run (which looks quite likely) then all eyes will be on Warren to be the front runner for 2020.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 03:36:06 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.

Also bringing up legitimate grievances with President Obama's legitimate lack of leadership on these issues but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huh? Obama has already hinted that he wants to get rid of gerrymandering, improve civic participation, and to get money out of politics.

He's already made great strides.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.

Also bringing up legitimate grievances with President Obama's legitimate lack of leadership on these issues but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huh? Obama has already hinted that he wants to get rid of gerrymandering, improve civic participation, and to get money out of politics.

But he took Cantor Fitzgerald's money which means he is evil and part of the cabal that is ruining our democracy despite his actions that prove otherwise

Seriously, I maintain that Cantor Fitzgerald wanted to talk to the guy who killed Bin Laden considering the entire firm was nearly taken out on 9/11 and that Obama should get paid for spending his valuable time speaking with them.

Is that gonna be the go to excuse now every time one of these politicians cozies up to Wall Street? Hillary Clinton made the 9/11 argument last year to justify taking money from Wall Street as well. This is getting absurd.

We're gonna get our asses handed to us again in 2018 and 2020 until Democrats stop being the soft Party of the rich.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:31 PM »

The clown car is uh-semblin'!

Yes that's Mark Zuckerberg with Pete Buttigieg.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source.

Just need Oprah and Cuban and we good!
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 10:33:24 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

But he took Cantor Fitzgerald's money which means he is evil and part of the cabal that is ruining our democracy despite his actions that prove otherwise

Seriously, I maintain that Cantor Fitzgerald wanted to talk to the guy who killed Bin Laden considering the entire firm was nearly taken out on 9/11 and that Obama should get paid for spending his valuable time speaking with them.

Is that gonna be the go to excuse now every time one of these politicians cozies up to Wall Street? Hillary Clinton made the 9/11 argument last year to justify taking money from Wall Street as well. This is getting absurd.

We're gonna get our asses handed to us again in 2018 and 2020 until Democrats stop being the soft Party of the rich.
For Christ's sake.

Immediately following 9/11, corporate firms were exploring moving their headquarters to rural areas so that they wouldn't get decimated in a terrorist attack. Who's gonna attack East Bumblefuck Montana?

So employees of these firms wanted to continue living in New York City and did not want to move to East Bumblefuck. So when Hillary fought against these companies moving to East Bumblefuck (because if they left the economy of the city, already in bad condition following the attacks, would've collapsed), the employees of those firms appreciated it.

She laid an egg in the debate by not explaining it. But that is what happened. Do I know why Obama's speaking at Cantor Fitzgerald? No. But I do know 9/11 impacted these firms*. And politicians' reactions and actions in the aftermath impacted the people who work for them. To act like they didn't isn't telling the whole story.

*Especially Cantor Fitzgerald. They lost 68% of the workforce on 9/11, including the CEO's brother. Almost 700 employees in all. You don't have to like their business, but they were impacted by 9/11, and do have an interest in Barack Obama other than his fiscal policies.

Your logic for justifying why the Democrats should cozy up to an industry that mishandled people's finances so poorly that they put the global economy at the greatest risk of collapse since the Great Depression is because of a terrorist attack? That's absurd.

These people donate millions of dollars to Democrats and Republicans alike not to express some kind of gratitude for looking out for them post-9/11. Come on. They do it because they're trying to buy influence. And they need to make sure that our politicians don't go too tough on them given that they're justifiably hated after 2008.

This is business as usual in the post Citizen's United World. Obama has more influence over the direction of the Democratic Party than almost anybody else. He was instrumental in getting Perez elected dnc chair. When he speaks, many Democrats listen. Paying him off is the best bet Wall Street has in actually keeping the Democratic Party away from becoming populist and god forbid pursuing regulations that make it tougher for Wall Street to lead us down the 2008 path again. Dodd Frank has been slowly but surely eroded away with and God knows what the current GOP is gonna do to financial regulatory reform now.

But so long as the Democratic Party stays away from the populist left and engages in little to no hostility towards those poor precious bankers then all is well and business goes on as usual.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »

I think Sherrod Brown is gonna run. Even though he doesn't seem interested in running, he's put out quite a few recent statements in regards to pushing the Democratic Party into a more economically left direction. Maybe it's just me, but I've seen a handful of statements and articles about him recently concerning that topic.

I think he's hesitant right now because he's up for reelection in 2018 (although Trump alone might make his Ohio reelection bid a fairly easy). After the 2018 midterms, I think he'll start testing the waters for a presidential run in 2020.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure The Rock is just having a giggle.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »

I think Sherrod Brown is gonna run. Even though he doesn't seem interested in running, he's put out quite a few recent statements in regards to pushing the Democratic Party into a more economically left direction. Maybe it's just me, but I've seen a handful of statements and articles about him recently concerning that topic.

I think he's hesitant right now because he's up for reelection in 2018 (although Trump alone might make his Ohio reelection bid a fairly easy). After the 2018 midterms, I think he'll start testing the waters for a presidential run in 2020.

Sorry, but I highly doubt that. Ohio went the reddest it's been in a generation in the last election. It will take alot more than a Russia narrative to turn it back red.

In 2008, Indiana went the bluest it had been in two generations.

One election result doesn't dictate a long term trend. Ohio has trended Democratic twice and Republican twice since 2000.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »

FWIW, Booker's gonna have to presumably make a hard choice sometime in 2019 between keeping his safe Senate seat and running for President. He could pull a Rubio and do both, but the Democratic bench in New Jersey is deep and he's already taken bruises from a primary once. So I don't think it's out of the question that he genuinely is "unsure" if he wants to run yet or not.

This is why I'm skeptical of the idea that JBE or even Franken will run.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »

Excellent news. I hope she is not phased by the backlash, as she expects it, but her supporters will appreciate what she has to say.

I voted for her in the primaries and GE. It's fine for her to speak her mind in certain respects (although nobody should say entirely what they're thinking without filter), but her recent statements have been pretty tone deaf and are a net negative on the Democratic Party's image.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »

I think Kamala would actually edge out Booker on second thought.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »

"major role" sounds a lot more like endorsing than running to me.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think Sanders will run in 2020. He'll likely try and rally as much momentum as possible into the progressive challenger in the race once the field narrows down. Whether that's Warren, Brown, Franken, etc. He'll do his best to get them through the primaries. His support and his wing of the Party will definitely put that candidate at a significant advantage.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »

^ That does actually make a lot more sense. Tongue
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »

Biden sounds like he's going to run in 2020 based on his Harvard commencement address.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »

Sherrod Brown's recent outreach to millennial voters.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »

That and the national selfie day thing. Tongue
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »

Not really. Trump was a grossly unqualified candidate and many voted for her to put country before party but voted Republican down ballot to make sure she had strong opposition in Congress. She needs to stay out of this.

Yeah, I personally don't know any down-ballot Republican here who was happy at all to vote for her. It was an anti-Trump vote being cast by loyal Republicans.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 11:19:50 PM »

I'm watching Gore's townhall on climate change tonight (CNN). So far it's been focused on climate change even during the Q&A.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »

Pence calls the NYT report on his purported 2020 ambitions "disgraceful and offensive":

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/06/pence-new-york-times-2020-trump-241365

Of course, you gotta keep the Trump coalition unaware that you've been planning a run all along when you're President Pence come 2020.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies