The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:11:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213371 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ummm....she's already on her way back to the US.  Not sure how commenting on this would impact security.

Because she totally met with Assad.

Christ I hate her. If she somehow wins the nomination in 2020, Trump 2020.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »

Uncle Joe, make up your f**king mind or shut up. Thnx.
He's bitter. He thinks he would've won if he'd run.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Highly indicative that there have been conversations in the background, and there was semantic interference on the spot. I can certainly get behind a Murphy run.
I would too, but I don't think the country at large would due to his stance on gun control
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »

Highly indicative that there have been conversations in the background, and there was semantic interference on the spot. I can certainly get behind a Murphy run.

I don't know.  As the story says, Blumenthal had just been talking about Trump, so having a mental mixup and saying "president" might not mean anything larger.

That said, Murphy has definitely shot up recently in my own rankings of who is most likely to run on the Dem. side.  He might even be in the top 10.  The fact that he both campaigned for Clinton in early '16 for the NH primary, and then went back there in the fall to campaign for both Clinton and Hassan was at least...something.  He seemed to throw cold water on that with his December statement that he "wouldn't consider" running for prez, but his supposed denials since them have been more vague, so he's back up on the list, IMHO.

I don't think Ds need a champion of gun control to win back the Midwest right now, nobody talks about how far left Hillary went on guns and how that may contributed to the further loss in WWC voters. Gun control was never a central theme in either of Obama's two runs.
Exactly. Even though I love Murphy I don't think he could win Ohio or Florida or North Carolina, and may lose PA, WI and MI again.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

Cuomo at the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem today shaking hands with Israeli president Reuven Rivlin:

I mean everyone knows Cuomo is gonna run, right?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

Cuomo at the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem today shaking hands with Israeli president Reuven Rivlin:

I mean everyone knows Cuomo is gonna run, right?

Cuomo's running for a cabinet position
I don't think he's talented enough for a prominent cabinet position too be honest.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:46:52 PM »

NY Post: "Cuomo takes key step toward launching presidential campaign"

http://nypost.com/2017/03/11/cuomo-takes-key-step-toward-launching-presidential-campaign/
Cuomo is gonna crash an burn so badly in Iowa.
8%, behind Booker.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »

Joe and Jill Biden at SXSW with some folks you may or may not recognize:

Does Maisie Williams have any idea who Joe Biden is?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

Joe and Jill Biden at SXSW with some folks you may or may not recognize:

Does Maisie Williams have any idea who Joe Biden is?

I don't know.  But here's a Biden gif for Maisie on the off chance she's reading this:

King
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »

So, Andrew Cuomo’s nonprofit “HELP USA” decided to honor Joe Biden on Thursday, and Biden used the opportunity to talk politics in a way that he hasn’t since Trump’s inauguration:

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/joe-biden-calls-trump-budget-policies-a-change-in-the-landscape-1.13276865

Etc.

But the most notable thing to come from this event was an epic picture of Cuomo grinning at Biden.  I mean seriously, doesn’t this expression on Cuomo’s face terrify you?:

THIS IS HOW NORMAL HUMANS BE HAVE. I AM ANDREW CUOMO. VOTE FOR ME.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »

Bill Maher brought up a possible presidential run with Sheldon Whitehouse, who shut it down pretty quickly.
He also keeps pushing Gavin whom I like but even against Trump woukd look bad as only being governor for like a year before running
I refuse to believe that looks bad anymore. We have a reality tv star as president for christ sake.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »

So apparently there’s a new conference for “progressive activists” that’s been announced for June 9-11 in Chicago called “People’s Summit 2.0”.  The 2.0 is because there was also one held last year.  Bernie Sanders will be the keynote speaker:

http://www.thepeoplessummit.org

And according to this flyer, Tulsi Gabbard will be speaking there as well:

I count maybe four people on that list (not including Bernie and Jane) whom I like.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »

Yep. Don't like his politics? Fine. I don't like them very much either. But at least he's freaking engaging with people, even if it's through the most 21st century way imaginable.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »

My opinion of him changed after watching Street Fight. I have a lot more respect for him now, and I would highly suggest that his haters watch it.
Even though he is not my first choice, I do think he'd make a decent president and if he wins the nomination I'll work my heart out for him.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »

Bernie's speech in Maine last night was largely a rehash of his stump speech updated with attacks on specific actions Trump. He announced he was introducing a medicare for all bill to congress. I left thinking he was running again.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 07:53:35 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

Kasich (which my phone hilariously autocorrects to "masochist") is definitely running, especially if Trump's approvals are in the toilet in like March 2019. He's going be Ted Kennedy to Trump's Carter, and it will seal defeat for Trump.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »

Moulton would be interesting. I don't actively recoil away from him like I do from Cuomo.

I like McAuliffe, too, but I don't think he'd be a strong candidate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.
I'll never forget the "we trusted you" chants.
Disgusting. Sanders was not owed her support. Apparently the two don't even get along very well, and Warren strikes me as a much more pragmatic politician.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »

Also bringing up legitimate grievances with President Obama's legitimate lack of leadership on these issues but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah, she's pro-Obama and pro-Clinton despite being to their left. She doesn't really care about his or her speeches. But the people she's trying to win over for 2020? They do.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »

Also bringing up legitimate grievances with President Obama's legitimate lack of leadership on these issues but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huh? Obama has already hinted that he wants to get rid of gerrymandering, improve civic participation, and to get money out of politics.

He's already made great strides.
But he took Cantor Fitzgerald's money which means he is evil and part of the cabal that is ruining our democracy despite his actions that prove otherwise

Seriously, I maintain that Cantor Fitzgerald wanted to talk to the guy who killed Bin Laden considering the entire firm was nearly taken out on 9/11 and that Obama should get paid for spending his valuable time speaking with them.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »

Huh? Obama has already hinted that he wants to get rid of gerrymandering, improve civic participation, and to get money out of politics.

He's already made great strides.
But he took Cantor Fitzgerald's money which means he is evil and part of the cabal that is ruining our democracy despite his actions that prove otherwise

Seriously, I maintain that Cantor Fitzgerald wanted to talk to the guy who killed Bin Laden considering the entire firm was nearly taken out on 9/11 and that Obama should get paid for spending his valuable time speaking with them.

Is that gonna be the go to excuse now every time one of these politicians cozies up to Wall Street? Hillary Clinton made the 9/11 argument last year to justify taking money from Wall Street as well. This is getting absurd.

We're gonna get our asses handed to us again in 2018 and 2020 until Democrats stop being the soft Party of the rich.
For Christ's sake.

Immediately following 9/11, corporate firms were exploring moving their headquarters to rural areas so that they wouldn't get decimated in a terrorist attack. Who's gonna attack East Bumblefuck Montana?

So employees of these firms wanted to continue living in New York City and did not want to move to East Bumblefuck. So when Hillary fought against these companies moving to East Bumblefuck (because if they left the economy of the city, already in bad condition following the attacks, would've collapsed), the employees of those firms appreciated it.

She laid an egg in the debate by not explaining it. But that is what happened. Do I know why Obama's speaking at Cantor Fitzgerald? No. But I do know 9/11 impacted these firms*. And politicians' reactions and actions in the aftermath impacted the people who work for them. To act like they didn't isn't telling the whole story.

*Especially Cantor Fitzgerald. They lost 68% of the workforce on 9/11, including the CEO's brother. Almost 700 employees in all. You don't have to like their business, but they were impacted by 9/11, and do have an interest in Barack Obama other than his fiscal policies.

I'll never forget the "we trusted you" chants.
Disgusting. Sanders was not owed her support. Apparently the two don't even get along very well, and Warren strikes me as a much more pragmatic politician.

Well, no, she didn't "owe" Sanders her support, or anything like that. Endorsing Hillary Clinton in the primary is still a huge indictment on her character, though.
Stop revising history. She endorsed after Hillary had already won the nomination. She said throughout the primary she was going to endorse her party's nominee. She did. To hold that against her is ridiculously asinine.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »

In a Politico piece about Chris Murphy's Twitter skills, he's asked about 2020:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/08/chris-murphy-global-politico-215110
It's funny but Murph is defiantly the dark horse we could be calling president in 2020

Murphy has some potentially serious issues, at least in the general; specifically, his stance on gun control and his past financial controversies.
I like Murphy and would even consider voting for him in the primary, but I feel like the gun control thing would sink him with Ohio and Pennsylvania. Not to mention he's another northeastern establishment liberal (albeit to Hillary's left).
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »

Dammit, Al. You'd win.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:23 AM »

If Kasich is smart, he should consider running as an independent!
Exactly, and the Dem would have a chance at all 50 states if the Trump approvals are low enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies