The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:31:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 213556 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: March 29, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »

It's never too early Tongue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »

Rubio might as well run for POTUS again. Being demolished a second time in a longshot presidential bid is not as bad as being demolished by Putnam in the gubernatorial primary.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »

No it's not impossible at all. There are many examples in history :

-In 1952, General Dwight D. Eisenhower was never elected in office but easily won the presidency.

-In 1968, former vice-president Richard Nixon was out office but succesfully ran for President and won on November 1968.

-In 1980, former California governor Ronald Reagan was out of office but easily won the Republican nomination and beat President Jimmy Carter by a landslide.

-In 2012, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney was out of political office but became a successful presidential candidateby winning the Republican nomination.

So Rubio can be a successful presidential candidate in 2020 even without being in office. If there's really a recession under Hillary Clinton's term, the Republicans will know that to win the White House in order to grow the economy and get America back on track, they need to win more Hispanic votes and Marco Rubio is the best positionned to do so. In addition, if he plans to run for president again in 2020 while being a private citizen in the next 4 years, I think Rubio could work for a think tank to bring up some alternatives to Clinton's bad policies, then campaign and fundraise for Republican mid-term candidates in 2018 (like Romney did in 2010 before running for President in 2012) which is likely to lead to a Republican supermajority. Then Rubio will surely be viable enough to run for President in 2020.
But he will likely be our governor so He will probably be in office
Do you follow Florida politics at all?

In this story about Rubio saying that he’s up for speaking at this year’s RNC, he says it’s a “safe assumption” that he’ll run for office again:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/politics/marco-rubio-going-to-convention-donald-trump/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Of course he'll run again-for President only. Anything else is a demotion in his eyes, even Governor, and he can't do to Putnam what he did to Jeb and expect the RPOF or anyone of any remote importance what so ever in Tallahassee to go along.

Considering how wrong people's 2016 predictions were even a year before, let alone 4 years before, I'll just throw out a curve ball and saw Democratic Nominee Kamala Harris and Republican Nominee Tim Scott.

Uh, I'll have you know my Dem prediction in the past 3 years was right on. Wink
Yeah, you and everyone else's prediction Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »

Considering how wrong people's 2016 predictions were even a year before, let alone 4 years before, I'll just throw out a curve ball and saw Democratic Nominee Kamala Harris and Republican Nominee Tim Scott.

Uh, I'll have you know my Dem prediction in the past 3 years was right on. Wink
Yeah, you and everyone else's prediction Tongue

Oh how quickly we forget the hype...

- She won't even run
- Warren will jump in and beat her
- Sanders' summer surge is the end of her
- Biden will jump in and beat her
- Sanders' January surge is the end of her
- Sanders' NH win is the end of her
- Sanders' Michigan win is the end of her
- Sanders March-early April winning streak is the end of her
Again, you assume everyone is a Berniebro. Not remotely true.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »

So apparently Joe Walsh is running in 2020. Heh. I figured he'd run for Senate in 2020 and come in third place in the GOP primary like most one termers do when they want a comeback.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »

I think Rand is out. His campaign bombed and the Ron Paul liberty movement is largely in disarray, splintered between purists, people supporting Johnson, or going to Trump.
Yeah, Amash is our best hope in my opinion. He's more popular with the base while maintaining an ability to appeal to a broader base without alienating his core like Rand did.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »

I think Rand is out. His campaign bombed and the Ron Paul liberty movement is largely in disarray, splintered between purists, people supporting Johnson, or going to Trump.
Yeah, Amash is our best hope in my opinion. He's more popular with the base while maintaining an ability to appeal to a broader base without alienating his core like Rand did.

Couldn't Cruz do that too?

Cruz is just a really extreme conservative.
Cruz isn't remotely close to that IMO.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »

In his Senate debate, Rubio (fingers presumably crossed) says he will serve a full Senate term, "God willing."
He doesn't need to cross his fingers to lie to you, RB, he's going to run again and then say that he meant he wouldn't resign in order to run. Basically, he's just giving himself a sentence to use in 2020 when Walker, Cotton, Haley, or one of the others mentioned in this thread use the same Christie attacks against him. If he beats Murphy (hope he doesn't but who knows at this point) he's not going to suddenly learn to respect his seat and the people who put him in it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »

Bevin going out to Iowa is new. He hasn't been on my 2020 radar at all (mainly because he's a recent arrival to politics and the current election has my full attention), but I could see myself getting behind him if he ran.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »

More talk that Ryan might well step down as Speaker:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/304245-chatter-grows-that-ryan-could-step-down

If he leaves his job as Speaker after next week's election, does that make him more likely to run for prez in 2020?

He declined to make a run in '16 to advance his ambition to eventually be Speaker before the decade was up. If he stands down now, he's definitely trying to save some skin before 2020. I just can't imagine him surrendering his congressional seniority to advance to the Senate at this point. I can't imagine the question being anything other than 2020 or stay put for Ryan.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 03:55:24 AM »

Well....we know President Trump is running.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »

People talking up Kamala not really sure what she does for WWC. Klobuchar seems like the perfect candidate.

Obama did better with WWC than Clinton did - why would Klobuchar, who is as bland as can be and largely follow the Clinton format, do better than Harris?

Well Klobuchar represents a state with a large WWC population and routinely wins by large margins. And Clinton was not bland she has massive baggage and scandals while Klobuchar is clean, she is a former prosecutor like Kamala.
Klobuchar is part of the Clinton class and the same Trump Democrats who propelled him to the Presidency will see through her. Kamala Harris, on the other hand, is someone whom I'm genuinely worried about long term.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »

Any rumblings about Cruz? The rumor I heard early on in the summer was that he was preparing to coral potential donors in preparation for a 2020 run regardless of who wins.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »

Any rumblings about Cruz? The rumor I heard early on in the summer was that he was preparing to coral potential donors in preparation for a 2020 run regardless of who wins.
Sounds like Clinton in 2013/2014... just saying

Actually, I would enjoy it greatly if Cruz repeated 2016 (but flipped) in 2020. Given how overwhelmed Trump has been so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he declined to run

A lot of Trump supporters are optimistic that he might complete the "holy trinity of Trumpism" (NAFTA, the wall, and Obamacare) by 2020 and turn the keys over to Pence. He himself has hinted that he only wants the job as long as he is needed. I personally want him to serve two full terms, even if it means handing the Presidency over to the Democrats afterwards (second terms always seem to go south) in 2024 because I don't want the exiled establishment Republicans launching a counter-revolution before we become entrenched.

Anywho, Trump being a one term President is almost more likely if he's successful than unsuccessful.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

He'd beat her. Just take the zero away from Wulfric's number and it isn't that bad a post.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »

^Malloy was also speaking to a bunch of state delegations at the DNC this year. I was at North Carolina's delegate breakfast one morning, and when he walked in he sat right next to me. We got to talk for a bit.

#Malloy2020
I'm surprised because he seems like a major dick. Lindsey Graham was a real dick when I met him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »

Sheryl Sandberg? Now this is getting embarrassing. I can already hear the chorus of "four more years."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »

Sheryl Sandberg? Now this is getting embarrassing. I can already hear the chorus of "four more years."

It definitely feels like some DNC types are pushing for "We need our OWN businessman/woman to run against Trump". Cuban, Zuckerberg, Sandberg. Hard to look at the 2016 primary and thiink "You know what these Bernie supporters would go for? A billionaire with shady business dealings."
Well the DNC has this bizarre belief that we elected Trump because he's a businessman who would create jobs. We voted for him because we were pissed. Nominating a wealthy Silicon Valley CEO who will jet around the country talking about "smart power," "21st century economy," etc along with the same naked embrace of identity politics could make her an even worse nominee than Hillary.

People like Trump because he builds things. Real, tangible things (or big beautiful tremendous hotels in his words) unlike Sandberg, who basically administers an increasingly outdated social media platform. She'll give speech after speech about how it's time to "Make America Hopeful Again" or whatever cute slogan she comes up, but her vision is the same path of globalization that the world is reacting against. We don't want smart cars or Amazon drones, we want steel mills and factories.

Sandberg running against Trump would be a dream come true.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »

Bwahahaha Frances Fox Piven? Glenn Beck is going to blow a fuse.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »

Forget Jones, it's Linda Sarsour and Piven who have me laughing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »

So apparently there’s a new conference for “progressive activists” that’s been announced for June 9-11 in Chicago called “People’s Summit 2.0”.  The 2.0 is because there was also one held last year.  Bernie Sanders will be the keynote speaker:

http://www.thepeoplessummit.org

And according to this flyer, Tulsi Gabbard will be speaking there as well:

I count maybe four people on that list (not including Bernie and Jane) whom I like.
I kinda like Tulsi and Michael Moore. The others are either unknowns or confirmed terribles.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »

This kind of Booker hate is just irrational.
For a probably corrupt guy he sure does some badass things. He housed homeless families during Hurricane Sandy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »

Caroline Kennedy will be the nominee in 2020.
Haha yes please!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »

Trying to ingratiate herself with the Sanders wing that she """""betrayed""""" by endorsing the party's nominee in 2016.
I'll never forget the "we trusted you" chants.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »

Why is Obama's time more valuable than mine? What makes him qualified to "entertain" at high profile corporate events? Could it be that he's being thrown easy high-paid gigs as a reward for his cough cough good behavior cough cough?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies