When is it exactly? I mean the red one.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:13:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  When is it exactly? I mean the red one.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When is it exactly? I mean the red one.  (Read 175 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:43:38 PM »
« edited: March 30, 2016, 03:41:10 AM by v0031 »

"Success Kid" Sammy Griner, the subject of a popular Internet meme, is hoping to use his viral fame to help his dad get a kidney transplant.

Griner was a baby when his mom shared a picture of him looking victorious with a clenched fist online, which was picked up by social media users who used the image to illustrate wins they were particularly proud of.

Now 8 years old, Griner and his family are turning to the Internet for help.  

Sammy's father, Justin Griner, was diagnosed with kidney disease in 2006. He suffered full kidney failure in 2009 and has been on dialysis since, according to CBS News.

"One can only survive with no natural kidney function and using article kidney filtering for so long," Laney Griner, Justin's wife and Sammy's mom, said to the Daily Dot. "His energy and mood are affected, he can no longer work, and he spends 12 hours a week in dialysis clinic."

What does this mean?

The Griner family's GoFundMe campaign has fundraised over $87,000 as of 3:00pm Wednesday.
The family created a GoFundMe campaign to help cover the expenses for a kidney transplant. The page doesn't mention Sammy's famous photo, but encourages people to donate and to see if they are a kidney donor match.

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY
"At first, I didn't want to use Success Kid because I wanted the focus to be on Justin," Laney told ABC Today. "But most people who know us know our son is Success Kid, and so people started talking about it."

The GoFundMe campaign has fundraised more than $83,000 as of Wednesday afternoon, surpassing the original goal of $75,000.

"This is beyond anything we could have imagined," Laney told ABC Today.  "If not for Success Kid, he would be just another guy who needs a kidney."
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

BTW,what does meme in green mean?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »

A meme is a sort of fad or joke that is spread around the Internet. The phrase "you can only X for so long" means that you can't keep doing something (in this case, using artificial kidneys) forever and will have to come up with a better thing (a kidney transplant).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies