Dean: Democrats Could Take the West
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:49:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dean: Democrats Could Take the West
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dean: Democrats Could Take the West  (Read 2584 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 11:24:15 PM »

Of the 9 political groups, 8 support a higher minimum wage, and 8 support universal health care.

Then why don't the Democrats win landslides in every election? Loser liberal ideas are going to kill the Democratic Party.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2005, 11:27:04 PM »

In his eight years, Clinton did a lot of things to piss off Rocky Mountain states: logging restrictions, wilderness road restrictions, snowmobile restrictions, the Staircase-Escalante land grab, etc.  This isn't libertarianism.

Correct, which is why Gore did so much worse than Dukakis in those states.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2005, 11:41:33 PM »

Of the 9 political groups, 8 support a higher minimum wage, and 8 support universal health care.

Then why don't the Democrats win landslides in every election?

Because a lot of people don't know their own economic interests, and/or priortize their hatred of gays, blacks, their irrational nationalism, and so forth.

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »

I'm as happy as any other Dem about Schweitzer winning last year, but we should see if we can defeat Burns in '06 before we can spread our resurgence to other Western states besides Montana. On the whole though I agree with Dean's statements, and Bob's last line in the post above this one.

I have a question for any Westerners: Why is Idaho so much more heavily Republican than Montana, or even Wyoming? The entire state can't be filled with Ruby Ridge types, so is Idaho more conservative than normal, or is Montana more centrist? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 12:11:26 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 12:15:18 AM by Frodo »

I have a question for any Westerners: Why is Idaho so much more heavily Republican than Montana, or even Wyoming? The entire state can't be filled with Ruby Ridge types, so is Idaho more conservative than normal, or is Montana more centrist? 

I am guessing it is partly due to the fact that Idaho has the largest Mormon population outside of Utah.

I am sure Immy can elaborate further........   
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »

I am guessing it is partly due to the fact that Idaho has the largest Mormon population outside of Utah.

Yeah I knew it had some mormons but I always seem to associate them with Utah and no where else. I guess they're more widespread than I thought. But I wonder if mormons are the only reason.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 12:30:05 AM by Frodo »

Yeah I knew it had some mormons but I always seem to associate them with Utah and no where else. I guess they're more widespread than I thought. But I wonder if mormons are the only reason.

well no, they are not the only reason, but they are a decisive factor when you are comparing Idaho with Montana and Wyoming.  All three of these states are largely rural, with vast stretches of uninhabited land whose main industries are timber, mining, ranching, and farming, with a population that is profoundly conservative.  In Idaho's case, with the Mormons, they take that natural conservatism that is native to all three of these states an extra step, making it more conservative than its nearest neighbors. 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »

well no, they are not the only reason, but they are a decisive factor when you are comparing Idaho with Montana and Wyoming.  All three of these states are largely rural, with vast stretches of uninhabited land whose main industries are timber, mining, ranching, and farming, with a population that is profoundly conservative.  In Idaho's case, with the Mormons, they take that natural conservatism that is native to all three of these states an extra step, making it more conservative than its nearest neighbors. 

Got it. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Although it is ironic that the highest profile mormon in the government now is a Democrat (Harry Reid). I doubt this will affect their voting patterns though Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2005, 01:20:29 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 01:22:12 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

AZ. NV, NM, and COLO. That's the best the Dems can hope for any time soon (plus the coast).

And lose Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and probably Minnesota in the process, plus they would basically be conceding Ohio and Iowa to the Republicans.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2005, 01:21:58 AM »

AZ. NV, NM, and COLO. That's the best the Dems can hope for any time soon (plus the coast).

And lose Wisconsin and probably Minnesota in the process, plus they would basically be conceding Ohio and Iowa to the Republicans.

granted, but aren't these the states that are losing population and electoral votes? 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2005, 01:25:33 AM »

And lose Wisconsin and probably Minnesota in the process, plus they would basically be conceding Ohio and Iowa to the Republicans.

granted, but aren't these the states that are losing population and electoral votes? 

I added Michigan and PA too, as you can see.  I see it as a decent long term strategy, but we are talking very long term before those states out-wiegh the ones they would be losing, and the Dean would be gone in 8 years if they kept losing, anyway, thus taking them back to the tried and true.  the only thing they would acchomplish is losing credability with voters in the states I mentioned.  Let's face it, both parties are in a box right now.  Its just that the Democrats box is a bit smaller.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2005, 01:27:19 AM »

Well, I think that the Republicans have more manuvering room, though.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2005, 02:38:29 AM »

the Rocky mountain west may be kind of a reach, but it's far closer than the solid south, which Dean originally went for while campiagning.  At least this strategy is a bit smarter.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2005, 08:59:38 AM »

If the Democrats go right economically and support a muscular foreign policy, I could see them sweeping the Mountain West.

Except for Utah.

I'm not with you on the move to the right economically but I'd more than embrace a muscular foreign policy

Dave
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »

the Rocky mountain west may be kind of a reach, but it's far closer than the solid south, which Dean originally went for while campiagning.  At least this strategy is a bit smarter.
There's other Bush states besides the Interior West and the Deep South.  Democrats should have an easier time in MO, AR, and VA than in AZ.  Anywhere is better than MT.  It's far too remote and too small to consider spending real campaign resources on.  Dean just says these things to look like an optimistic visionary.

About the ID vs. MT and WY thing: the higher number of Native American voters in the eastern two probably has some effect too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »

a further indication of the increasingly libertarian bent of the Democratic Party:

Dean: West Fertile Ground for Democrats

By SARAH COOKE
The Associated Press
Saturday, June 4, 2005; 11:23 PM

HELENA, Mont. -- The Rocky Mountain West, long a Republican stronghold, is fertile ground for Democrats hoping to take back Congress and the White House in coming years, Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean told supporters here Saturday.

Democrats have more in common with Westerners than the GOP, the former Vermont governor said.

They appreciate the free-spirited, independent thinking that dominate states like Montana, and understand the wish for a balanced budget and a strong military, as well as treating soldiers well when they get home, something Dean said the Bush administration has neglected.

"I think we're going to have a very appealing message in the Rocky Mountain West," he said. "We want to be everywhere. We don't think just because George Bush won this state by a lot of votes means that Montana is going to be a Republican state forever.

"I think our values are more consistent with Montana values than Republican values are."

link

Nothing like sue-happy lawyers hiring a foul-mouthed physician to brag about taking Marlboro Country away from the GOP.  Still, stranger things have been said.  e.g., the Connecticut Cowboy's famous "Mission Accomplished!" bravado.  Youze guys still not having second thoughts about Dean, eh?  amazing.  Gotta admire the kid's spunk, though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 05:17:32 PM by thefactor »

I added Michigan and PA too, as you can see.  I see it as a decent long term strategy, but we are talking very long term before those states out-wiegh the ones they would be losing, and the Dean would be gone in 8 years if they kept losing, anyway, thus taking them back to the tried and true.  the only thing they would acchomplish is losing credability with voters in the states I mentioned.  Let's face it, both parties are in a box right now.  Its just that the Democrats box is a bit smaller.

Exactly. All those states together have 29 electoral votes, which is just 2 more than Florida. According to that logic, the state of Florida should have equal weight to the entire Western region.

Nevertheless, going for the West is important for symbolic as much as direct reasons, and arguably offers the Democrats the best chance to exploit that fact that the GOP base has moved from the sunbelt to the bible belt.
Shira

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2005, 03:24:52 PM »

Every state where Bush got 55% or over, should not be touched by the Dems. Its a waste of money.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »

Remember, the West is not monolithic - Bush was fortunate to take all of it. What plays well in libertarian NV won't play well in populist NM or conservative UT, or what plays well in NM won't play well in NV or UT, or what plays well in UT won't play well in NV or NM. There's diversity underneath all the blue on that map...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2005, 04:23:44 PM »

Every state where Bush got 55% or over, should not be touched by the Dems. Its a waste of money.

That is possibly the wisest thing you've ever posted. :-)

I would qualify that when a nominee is named.  If Bayh is the nominee, by all means, spend money in IN.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2005, 04:25:10 PM »

I would qualify that when a nominee is named.  If Bayh is the nominee, by all means, spend money in IN.

Good thing the Democrats gave up on NH, which went 62.49% for George HW Bush (9.12 points better than his national average).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2005, 05:08:21 PM »

Good thing the Democrats gave up on NH, which went 62.49% for George HW Bush (9.12 points better than his national average).

Shira has it right, on this one.  You don't pour money, at this point, into Utah, hoping that in 2008, Utah might be competive.  It is a good idea to try tp use "party building" money in close states, like OH, or CO, NM, NV in the west.  Spending money now in UT or WY might not be money well spent.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »

Shira has it right, on this one.  You don't pour money, at this point, into Utah, hoping that in 2008, Utah might be competive.  It is a good idea to try tp use "party building" money in close states, like OH, or CO, NM, NV in the west.  Spending money now in UT or WY might not be money well spent.

We're all assuming now that the political map has "solidified" a lot more from the landslide years of 1932-1988.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies