Dean: Democrats Could Take the West (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:36:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dean: Democrats Could Take the West (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dean: Democrats Could Take the West  (Read 2598 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: June 06, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »

I'm as happy as any other Dem about Schweitzer winning last year, but we should see if we can defeat Burns in '06 before we can spread our resurgence to other Western states besides Montana. On the whole though I agree with Dean's statements, and Bob's last line in the post above this one.

I have a question for any Westerners: Why is Idaho so much more heavily Republican than Montana, or even Wyoming? The entire state can't be filled with Ruby Ridge types, so is Idaho more conservative than normal, or is Montana more centrist? 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »

I have a question for any Westerners: Why is Idaho so much more heavily Republican than Montana, or even Wyoming? The entire state can't be filled with Ruby Ridge types, so is Idaho more conservative than normal, or is Montana more centrist? 

I am guessing it is partly due to the fact that Idaho has the largest Mormon population outside of Utah.

I am sure Immy can elaborate further........   

Yeah I knew it had some mormons but I always seem to associate them with Utah and no where else. I guess they're more widespread than I thought. But I wonder if mormons are the only reason.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »

I am guessing it is partly due to the fact that Idaho has the largest Mormon population outside of Utah.

I am sure Immy can elaborate further........   

Yeah I knew it had some mormons but I always seem to associate them with Utah and no where else. I guess they're more widespread than I thought. But I wonder if mormons are the only reason.

well no, they are not the only reason, but they are a decisive factor when you are comparing Idaho with Montana and Wyoming.  All three of these states are largely rural, with vast stretches of uninhabited land whose main industries are timber, mining, ranching, and farming, with a population that is profoundly conservative.  In Idaho's case, with the Mormons, they take that natural conservatism that is native to all three of these states an extra step, making it more conservative than its nearest neighbors. 

Got it. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Although it is ironic that the highest profile mormon in the government now is a Democrat (Harry Reid). I doubt this will affect their voting patterns though Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies