DC Democratic party "forgets" to get Bernie on the ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:01:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DC Democratic party "forgets" to get Bernie on the ballot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DC Democratic party "forgets" to get Bernie on the ballot  (Read 1745 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »

Jesus, my facebook feed is packed with people's heads exploding over this story.  Anyone who thinks the media isn't on Bernie's side needs to get their brain checked.

What actually happened:
  • Bernie was a dumbass and waited until literally the last minute to submit his registration
  • Registration didn't get e-mailed out until the next morning
  • The DC DNC put Bernie's name on the list anyway
  • Some random asshole activist noticed the discrepancy and put out a challenge
  • DC DNC is going to change the rules to allow Bernie to be on anyway

What people think happened:
  • Hillary called DWS and said "I don't want Bernie on the ballot on DC, because it's the very last primary, has almost no delegates, and Bernie probably won't even be viable, but why take a chance?"
  • DWS told some minimum-wage schmucks at the DC county office to wait a few hours to forward Bernie's e-mail after he submits his registration at the last minute
  • They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar

As for why they didn't "forget" Hillary, she probably sent her registration in months in advance of the deadline like the responsible leader crooked corrupt bitch she is.

Smith, I am very tempted to make you my first block on this forum.  All you ever do is insult people and you never add anything constructive to the conversations here.

I know "winning" arguments with people older than you on the internet and being pithy and sharp is fun when you're a kid.  Seriously, when I was 14-15 I used to spend hours every day on internet forums picking fights with the adults on them and hitting them with my oh-so-clever insults.  Ten years later it's not something I'm proud of.  You'll look back at this forum in the same way someday.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »

Jesus, my facebook feed is packed with people's heads exploding over this story.  Anyone who thinks the media isn't on Bernie's side needs to get their brain checked.

What actually happened:
  • Bernie was a dumbass and waited until literally the last minute to submit his registration
  • Registration didn't get e-mailed out until the next morning
  • The DC DNC put Bernie's name on the list anyway
  • Some random asshole activist noticed the discrepancy and put out a challenge
  • DC DNC is going to change the rules to allow Bernie to be on anyway

What people think happened:
  • Hillary called DWS and said "I don't want Bernie on the ballot on DC, because it's the very last primary, has almost no delegates, and Bernie probably won't even be viable, but why take a chance?"
  • DWS told some minimum-wage schmucks at the DC county office to wait a few hours to forward Bernie's e-mail after he submits his registration at the last minute
  • They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar

As for why they didn't "forget" Hillary, she probably sent her registration in months in advance of the deadline like the responsible leader crooked corrupt bitch she is.

There's no reason to try to use logic. These insane people also blame Hillary and the DNC for the Republican-controlled Arizona election system. They're beyond help.

No, Bernie was not late with his registration.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 10:38:30 PM »

It's truly a shame they didn't kick him off. That would've been a joy to watch.

That's pretty Anti Democratic.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »

It's truly a shame they didn't kick him off. That would've been a joy to watch.

That's pretty Anti Democratic.

When did I ever say I support letting the idiots choose their leaders?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »

This is grossly incompetent. I'm for Hillary, but this is just bad. They need to get their act together. Stories like these just give more fire to Bernie supporters feeling mistreated, even though this 100% is not what the Hillary campaign wanted.

These are the Hillary supporters i respect. All others on here are getting pretty disgusting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 10:54:50 PM »

Why bother? Bernie wasn't gonna get even close here - maybe 0 delegates even!

Why even hold elections? Maxwell can just tell us who's gonna win!

Meanwhile Tony V gives the thumbs up to Ted Cruz delegate shennanigans because he's pretending that Cruz's campaign is funny to spite people on the forum who had the Trump gag for a while. Wowie wowie.

I only care about democracy in my party. Why would I care about it for the party I oppose?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »

Why bother? Bernie wasn't gonna get even close here - maybe 0 delegates even!

Why even hold elections? Maxwell can just tell us who's gonna win!

Meanwhile Tony V gives the thumbs up to Ted Cruz delegate shennanigans because he's pretending that Cruz's campaign is funny to spite people on the forum who had the Trump gag for a while. Wowie wowie.

I only care about democracy in my party. Why would I care about it for the party I oppose?
Because intellectual consistency exists?

What's intellectually inconsistent about not caring? It's not my party, so I have no stakes in it other than how it affect mine.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 12:56:57 AM »

This is so utterly pathetic that people think this was done on purpose to try and sabotage him. Hillary has nothing to gain from this - It would be remedied quickly, and if it wasn't, there would be hell to pay.

Clinton/DWS are not that dumb. This thread is proof of why it's such a blatantly bad idea. Lots of people would automatically assume she had something to do with it, and would proceed to raise hell. It's nothing but bad press for her and only serves to damage her current lead.

Finally, Hillary does not need this at all! She has a massive delegate lead, and Washington DC is almost 50% African American and overall, only 34% or so White. The vast majority of those delegates are hers regardless. Why the #*@( can't some people think rationally and logically for one second in their lives.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »

Oh look, another instance where Berniebots see all kind of conspiracies instead of acknowledging the incompetence of Sanders' campaign. 
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 01:05:57 AM »

The only people pointing out conspiracy's are the Clinton supporters on here. This is more about incompetence then anything conspiratorial.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »

The only people pointing out conspiracy's are the Clinton supporters on here. This is more about incompetence then anything conspiratorial.

Have you been on /r/politics recently?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 01:09:46 AM »

This is really much ado about nothing. He's going to be on the ballot.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »

This is grossly incompetent. I'm for Hillary, but this is just bad. They need to get their act together. Stories like these just give more fire to Bernie supporters feeling mistreated, even though this 100% is not what the Hillary campaign wanted.
Atlas #analysis: LOL MODERATE HERO!

Obviously, either DC corruption or Sanders is awful. #AtlasToldMeSo
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:11 AM »

Doing it at the last minute instead of handing it in early does make Bernie Sanders more relatable to young voters. Tongue
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:21 AM »

He wasn't kicked off of the ballot.   God you guys are so bad.

WaPo

Other versions have it that the DC Democratic Party missed the deadline with both candidates, but that a challenge was lodged against Sanders. According to the WaPo by a "DC Democratic Activist", who it turns out has in the past criticized the WaPo Robert Brannum - Crazy guy in front of the Washington Post building (Youtube)

DC statute provides that a presidential candidate file a petition with the signatures of 1000 voters, with the board of elections by 4:30 pm on March 16. The law also permits a party to file a plan for election. Under its plan, the district Democratic Party permits candidates to make a contribution to the party of $2500 by 7:00 pm on March 16.

I didn't see anything in the statute about a political party being able to name candidates, but apparently they can do so if permitted under the party's "plan".

Clinton filed a petition, and both Clinton and Sanders made a contribution to the party. Since the party deadline was after the BOE deadline, they didn't inform the BOE until the next day.

So it looks like the Sanders campaign thought they were just playing by the rules just like they did elsewhere, and the Clinton campaign knew that the party officials in DC wanted some money to show that they were important, plus money is always nice.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies