Is there a "War on Women"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:04:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there a "War on Women"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: War on Women
Yes, it's fully real

It's partly real

No, It's about as real as the War on Christmas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Is there a "War on Women"?  (Read 2253 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »

Not as bad as in the past, but misogyny is still a problem in most societies.  More work needs to be done to protect gender equality. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

I don't know, I never even know what people mean by that.  Maybe?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:58 PM »

I wouldn't call it a "war". Republicans aren't going after women just because, but rather because a number of their views just happen to screw us over. They know this, and they continue anyway.

Basically this (though I'm not a woman so replace "us" with "women"). Calling it a "war on women" is a little bit of a stretch, but no more than, say, calling late-term abortions "partial-birth abortions." Both sides look for language that wins independents and riles up the base.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »

Both sides look for language that wins independents and riles up the base.
Yeah, but if it's a lie, or just clearly not accurate...it seems like it would hurt more than help with most indys.  Like the 77% number.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

This whole thing started as a way to combine pro-life positions and opposition to the contraception mandate/free birth control into one line.  Fortunately for the democrats, Todd Akin was an idiot and Rush Limbaugh (also an idiot) insulted Sandra Fluke and that lent credibility to the charge.  But pro-life positions and religious opposition to parts of Obamacare don't come from a place of hating women, they come from religious arguments, so really what they were saying all along (without coming out and saying it) was that christianity was at war on women.  More recently they've thrown some feminist positions into the "war on women" smorgasbord even though republicans aren't even opposed to many of them.  Like closing the gender pay gap.  Who is opposed to this?  The problem is that nobody knows how to force more women to select high-paying majors and prioritize their careers.  Recently the democrats have been saying "equal pay for equal work" but the EEOC already enforces this and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act fixed the loophole that was breaking it.

False rape allegations are common? Oh, poor things, getting accused of rape! And those lucky women! All they have to do is worry about getting raped! We men have it so hard, don't we?

Go to hell
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »

But pro-life positions and religious opposition to parts of Obamacare don't come from a place of hating women, they come from religious arguments...

Most religious arguments usually get around to hating women.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »

But pro-life positions and religious opposition to parts of Obamacare don't come from a place of hating women, they come from religious arguments...

No. I'm a religious pro-lifer and have no problem with Women. I care about the life of the fetus. Most pro-lifers are the same way, though there are select cases of sexism that unfortunately get taken as examples of the movement as a whole by trigger-happy politicians.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »

No. I'm a religious pro-lifer and have no problem with Women. I care about the life of the fetus. Most pro-lifers are the same way, though there are select cases of sexism that unfortunately get taken as examples of the movement as a whole by trigger-happy politicians.

I think he means that some of the "rules" or behaviors encouraged by various religions have a sort of archaic bias against women, at least in comparison to views and behaviors accepted in the modern word. Something that may have been seen as OK back then is not today, which can be said about a lot of things.

But I have to say, I'm not sure religion is really the cause or origin of this. The major religions are old, very old, and they were influenced by the views of their time. Women in a lot of societies have almost always been on some sort of unequal footing since the dawn of technology and increased productivity. Go back to a lot of primitive agrarian societies and you see much more equality, which was steadily eroded as those societies evolved and advanced forward.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »

I think he means that some of the "rules" or behaviors encouraged by various religions have a sort of archaic bias against women, at least in comparison to views and behaviors accepted in the modern word. Something that may have been seen as OK back then is not today, which can be said about a lot of things.

But I have to say, I'm not sure religion is really the cause or origin of this. The major religions are old, very old, and they were influenced by the views of their time. Women in a lot of societies have almost always been on some sort of unequal footing since the dawn of technology and increased productivity. Go back to a lot of primitive agrarian societies and you see much more equality, which was steadily eroded as those societies evolved and advanced forward.

Maybe there was some idyllic time where things were a little more equal, but it's pretty clear that patriarchy predates industrialization. Even Ancient Greeks didn't see women as people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 02:40:37 PM »

You'd think the real war on women would be coming from the abortion absolutists who are always fine with it, even if one is performed because the baby is a girl instead of a boy.  The Chi-Coms really led to a wave of female infanticide with their 1 child policy. While this is clearly a non-issue in the U.S. in that there would not appear to be a trend of abortions against baby girls because they are baby girls, its always alarming to see the abortion absolutists argue that prohibiting sex-motivated abortions is somehow bad.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

Maybe there was some idyllic time where things were a little more equal, but it's pretty clear that patriarchy predates industrialization. Even Ancient Greeks didn't see women as people.

That's true, but I was thinking more Paleolithic and early Neolithic, before the rise of higher-productivity agriculture. I was just suggesting that at it's core, the evolution of gender roles/equality probably has much more to do with economical factors / resource gathering than religion. The development of religion and gender issues is possibly influenced by these factors, and not the other way around.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »

That's true, but I was thinking more Paleolithic and early Neolithic, before the rise of higher-productivity agriculture. I was just suggesting that at it's core, the evolution of gender roles/equality probably has much more to do with economical factors / resource gathering than religion. The development of religion and gender issues is possibly influenced by these factors, and not the other way around.

You might well be right, I don't know enough about prehistoric societies to really have an opinion. From what I read, it's widely agreed that agriculture and sedentarization are what gave rise to social hierarchies based on the division of labor, and gender inequality might easily have been a product of that.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 07:39:01 PM »

No. Feminism is based on lies and hypocrisy, and it has had disastrous effects on Western civilization.

https://exposingfeminism.wordpress.com/the-ten-most-common-feminist-myths/

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/ten-lies.html

http://www.fixthefamily.com/sermons/feministlies

https://www.thetrumpet.com/article/2384.24.84.0/society/family/how-feminism-harms-families

Women are not ''oppressed'' in modern Western society. The ''gender pay gap'' is a myth, and you can find numerous articles online which show that to be the case. More women than men are employed. More women than men are graduating from college. The public school system gives girls preferential treatment. False rape allegations are common, and have ruined many men's lives. Women get shorter jail sentences than men for the same crimes.  The list goes on and on.

Feminism is pure evil. Feminism is part of a war on men, nature, and the family (the building block of our civilization). Feminism has resulted in the evil, barbaric slaughter of millions of innocent unborn children. Feminism has resulted in a huge increase in broken, unstable, and unhappy families. Feminism glorifies pursuing self-gratification at the expense of morality and personal responsibility. The list goes on and on.

A patriarchal society is a successful, prosperous society.

I agree that the gender pay gap is something of a myth.  I can tell you that women are on their way to eclipsing men in pay, given their higher rate of entry into the professions of law, medicine, and business-related professions.  Much of the pay gap is due to the fact that YOUNGER women are taking the jobs of retiring Baby Boomers, for whom companies jump at the chance to replace with younger candidates who will work for less.  I guarantee you that in 2030, this will be a total non-issue (at least for women) without any further action.

As to the last sentence:  I do not believe that the eroding of the traditional marital family in favor of other forms of family formation as a norm has brought us a more society.  Father may not always have known best in the 1950s, but his presence in the home did provide for a degree of stability and order (on the whole; I realize that individual families had their own issues) that is lacking today.  Stability and order are lacking for multiple reasons, but the lack of a father in too many homes is a key factor in that unfortunate development.

youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/02/24/childless-women-in-their-twenties-out-earn-men-so/#3089e3c86bb0
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 12:54:57 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2016, 12:56:51 AM by MW Representative RFayette »

No. Feminism is based on lies and hypocrisy, and it has had disastrous effects on Western civilization.

https://exposingfeminism.wordpress.com/the-ten-most-common-feminist-myths/

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/ten-lies.html

http://www.fixthefamily.com/sermons/feministlies

https://www.thetrumpet.com/article/2384.24.84.0/society/family/how-feminism-harms-families

Women are not ''oppressed'' in modern Western society. The ''gender pay gap'' is a myth, and you can find numerous articles online which show that to be the case. More women than men are employed. More women than men are graduating from college. The public school system gives girls preferential treatment. False rape allegations are common, and have ruined many men's lives. Women get shorter jail sentences than men for the same crimes.  The list goes on and on.

Feminism is pure evil. Feminism is part of a war on men, nature, and the family (the building block of our civilization). Feminism has resulted in the evil, barbaric slaughter of millions of innocent unborn children. Feminism has resulted in a huge increase in broken, unstable, and unhappy families. Feminism glorifies pursuing self-gratification at the expense of morality and personal responsibility. The list goes on and on.

A patriarchal society is a successful, prosperous society.
Reading this bs post and then seeing your sig about spreading God to others is laughable.

Like it or not, the Bible largely falls in line with what Thomas is saying, so I don't see why you think it's funny.

The fact of the matter is that outside of CS and engineering, women are doing great in professional fields.  Childrearing responsibilities make it harder for women to ascend to CEO and top leadership positions, but maternity leave and changing norms are making the path easier.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »

Partly, yes. But only by elements of the GOP.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »

I can tell you that women are on their way to eclipsing men in pay, given their higher rate of entry into the professions of law, medicine, and business-related professions.

don't hold your breath. when women enter a field it becomes less prestigious and less lucrative. it's happened to anthropology and psychology among others, it's currently happening with biology, and the reverse happened with computer programming.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies