Major cold wave brings winter back to Great Lakes and East.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:13:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Major cold wave brings winter back to Great Lakes and East.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major cold wave brings winter back to Great Lakes and East.  (Read 714 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »

Temperatures could get below 0°F in parts of New York and New England with temps down to the low 20s near NYC.  Frost could be felt all the way to South Carolina and Georgia.  The Euro model is showing flurries down to near Atlanta with widespread snow across the northeast.

In other news, the El Niño is collapsing and the average temperature of the tropical pacific below the surface is now around 0.5°C below normal, having plummeted from a high of 2°C above in December.

This cold water could begin to surface soon and bring La Niña conditions.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »

While it is going to get cold and possibly snowy especially north of the Mason-Dixon, neither Accuweather nor the Weather Channel are predicting anything anywhere near 0 degrees F even as lows:

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »

The NWS is forecasting lows in the single digits at Lake Placid.  That some areas could be below zero is well within the realm of possibilities.

Accuweather and TWC are moderating the forecast after the fact because it is an extreme event.  Time will tell.  I have a feeling it wont be nearly 20°F warmer than the models predict like TWC thinks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »

Just leave California alone, OK?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:58:29 PM »

The NWS is forecasting lows in the single digits at Lake Placid.  That some areas could be below zero is well within the realm of possibilities.

Accuweather and TWC are moderating the forecast after the fact because it is an extreme event.  Time will tell.  I have a feeling it wont be nearly 20°F warmer than the models predict like TWC thinks.

Being media companies, one would expect them to exaggerate this event, not tone it down. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »

While it is going to get cold and possibly snowy especially north of the Mason-Dixon, neither Accuweather nor the Weather Channel are predicting anything anywhere near 0 degrees F even as lows:

These are the forecasts for April 2-4. The NWS map posted by Snowguy is for April 6. I just checked Accuweather for April 5 and they show suburban Boston down to 16 and Berlin, NH down to 10.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »

Being media companies, one would expect them to exaggerate this event, not tone it down. 
I know Accuweather operates their own model that tends to moderate the other models, which is worthless in extreme events.  TWC also provides their own unique forecasts...

Even so the NWS is showing lows for the 6th to be about 5°F above the model above.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:18 PM »

The current forecasts here (in very far NW Georgia) have the lowest low being tomorrow night; 37. There'll be several nights where the lows are in between 40 to 45. This really doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary for what we'd experience in late-March/early-April. When I heard about the "POLAR VORTEX", I thought "oh no", but it's a joke in terms of the cold that we're going to experience.

It has been quite a bit warmer here than average since the middle of February. Since February 15 or so, we've had relatively very few days below 50-55 (many of them above 70, including a couple at 80 or more) and just sporadic groupings of a day or two at a time where frost was a worry. Since 2/15, we've only had at or below freezing night-time temps 6 or 7 times.

I placed all of my frost-sensitive plants outside at some point in the first few days of March. I brought them in for a night or two a couple of weeks ago just as a precautionary thing, since one night was going to be potentially freezing, but I put them outside again after that. I don't think 37 is going to be enough to nip 'em, especially if it's just for one night. Usually, you can't put plants out down here until the third week of April or so without having to chronically bring them back inside. This winter has been the mildest since 2011-12, when we had our last frost freakishly early (like late January/early February).

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »

We've had cold winds and show showers on and off all morning in Chicagoland. The temp has stayed just above freezing so there is little accumulation, but it's generally unpleasant outside, especially for April.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »

It would appear Accuweather is cooling their forecasts down again.  Upstate New York will be in the low single digits in the mornings and New York City will have one morning at 23F.

Washington will have a light freeze or frost Monday and Tuesday and then a freeze on Friday.  The low of 29F on Friday would tie the record for the date.

Boston will be down to 20F on Tuesday... which is about as cold as it gets this time of year (record lows are upper teens to low 20s)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »

We had 20-26°C (68-79°F) the last few days due to Sahara desert winds streaming north.

That will last for another few days, but on Thursday winter will come back a last time and temps are down to 0-5°C (32-40°F) again.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »

We got some snow yesterday, so the forecasts turned out to be right.

This cold water could begin to surface soon and bring La Niña conditions.
A few months ago, we were in an El Nino.  Anyway, I hope the La Nina conditions last until next winter.  I've been cheated out of my white Christmas for two years straight.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »

I sure wanted more winter weather!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »

Buffalo finally gets snow this year!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »

Portland is having great Weather
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

Yesterday in Chicago there were snow squalls all day and temps in the 30s.  This morning it got to 27F and to a high of 72F.  Tonight will be 34F and a high of 35F tomorrow.  Talk about crazy.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »

We got some snow last night here. Right now it's around freezing and windy.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »

It's midnight and it's warmer out than it was this snowy morning.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »

It isn't going to get warm in earnest until near the end of the month:

Northeastern US: Cold to dominate over spring warmth until late April
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »

It got even colder than the models predicted this morning.  -3°F in Saranac Lake and 9°F in Syracuse.  A far cry from the low 20s originally put out by TWC and Accuweather in Syracuse.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »

It was 23 this morning with a strong wind, so probably mid-teens real feel.......my nuts wanted to crawl back inside starting up the cars.........ugh.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 04:03:29 PM »

This sucks. I am having family in town and wanted to use the outdoors.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »

Excellent news! The psychological effect of this will be great for me, because in my time cold=more time until Summer=more time in general. Just what I needed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies