If Hillary wins in 2016, who could challenge her from the left in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:40:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Hillary wins in 2016, who could challenge her from the left in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Hillary wins in 2016, who could challenge her from the left in 2020?  (Read 1734 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2016, 12:05:53 AM »

If Hillary wins in 2016, who could you see challenging her from the left in 2020? I don't think Sanders has another run in him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »

Fmr. Gov. Lincoln Chafee, especially if he catches on in NH. Other than that, I expect maybe a Schweitzer or Feingold type might run.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »

Fmr. Gov. Lincoln Chafee, especially if he catches on in NH. Other than that, I expect maybe a Schweitzer or Feingold type might run.

Because Chafee did so well against a non incumbent president. lol
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:26:32 AM »

Nobody.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »

I certainly don't agree with Chafee, but Feingold I agree with. I could also see Keith Ellison, the CPC co-chair and an African-American.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 02:29:40 AM »

I certainly don't agree with Chafee, but Feingold I agree with. I could also see Keith Ellison, the CPC co-chair and an African-American.

I don't know if America is ready for a Muslim President.

Even though he hasn't endorsed, it's clear Feingold prefers Bernie; his PAC gave Bernie some money.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:52:38 AM »

A credible challenge for an incumbent President is not very likely, barring a 1968-style mess.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:07:08 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard maybe? Idk. It's highly unlikely that she'll be challenged by anyone, save for joke candidates.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »

Elizabeth Warren?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:17:12 PM »

Kamala Harris?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »

nobody significant, unfortunately. it's unlikely that even a kucinich-tier candidate would run
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »

The only reason she would get a serious primary challenge would be if her first term was seen as a failure. The challenger would have to make the case that what Hillary failed to fix, they could. So, it would have to be someone with some serious creds with whatever issue is the hot topic of the day. If it's income inequality, maybe Sherrod Brown. If it's a sense of corruption, maybe Al Franken. If it's the economy, maybe Elizabeth Warren - but I doubt she'd run.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »

Nobody. That said, if Clinton's smart, she'll just take a single term and let Castro or Perez or whoever the VP is take it for 2020.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »

I think if she makes a clear, visible effort to turn the leftward rhetorical shift she's taken this cycle into reality no one could challenge her.

That said, if she *doesn't * I can easily imagine a 1980ish leftward challenge from Feingold. Intra-party relations are certainly getting contentious enough for it.

Hell, I'd knock doors for him.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »

Hate to pull NH privilege here, but I've met him. Very nice, very smart. Won't be President.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »

Hate to pull NH privilege here, but I've met him. Very nice, very smart. Won't be President.

You don't need to have met him to know that.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »

You don't need to have met him to know that.

Yeah, frankly just seeing him during the first debate would probably be enough information.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »

Because Chafee did so well against a non incumbent president. lol

Now I think your being a little unfair, I mean his dad had just died.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

I'd also *personally * be pumped for an Ellison bid, but I don't think he has quite the resume/national name rec yet. Congress >>> Potus is a somewhat hard fit.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »

I think the poltical environment has changed so that there are now incentives to challenge incumbent Presidents in primaries.

Obama was safe because Democrats wouldn't forgive anyone who opposes the first black President. Hillary's probably not going to have that luxury.

I'm not sure who would run against her.

Elizabeth Warren has a following, but she seems to be too serious to do something like this.
Younger politicians (Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Brian Schatz, Chris Murphy) have too much to lose. The same is true of Al Franken.

Tulsi Gabbard is willing to make enemies, so she might do it. But it could also end up being someone currently obscure (a current Governor, a lesser-known Senator, a former Obama administration official.)

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »

I think the poltical environment has changed so that there are now incentives to challenge incumbent Presidents in primaries.

Obama was safe because Democrats wouldn't forgive anyone who opposes the first black President. Hillary's probably not going to have that luxury.

I'm not sure who would run against her.

Elizabeth Warren has a following, but she seems to be too serious to do something like this.
Younger politicians (Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Brian Schatz, Chris Murphy) have too much to lose. The same is true of Al Franken.

Tulsi Gabbard is willing to make enemies, so she might do it. But it could also end up being someone currently obscure (a current Governor, a lesser-known Senator, a former Obama administration official.)

Thoughts on Feingold? Assuming he makes it in this year, ofc.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

A Republican.

The Democratic Party is incapable of producing anyone like Bernie Sanders, which is why he is not a Democrat. He comes out of the Vermont Progressive Party, which is a very unique political institution. His Democratic colleagues in Vermont unsurprisingly endorsed Clinton. The modern Democratic Party is inherently incapable of resisting the corporate agenda.

At least a Republican could challenge her from the left on trade.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »

A Republican.

The Democratic Party is incapable of producing anyone like Bernie Sanders, which is why he is not a Democrat. He comes out of the Vermont Progressive Party, which is a very unique political institution. His Democratic colleagues in Vermont unsurprisingly endorsed Clinton. The modern Democratic Party is inherently incapable of resisting the corporate agenda.

Says the party that voted nearly 100% for NAFTA, as opposed to the one where only 50% did?
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »

A Republican.

Says the party that voted nearly 100% for NAFTA, as opposed to the one where only 50% did?

Yes, I remember that in P.T. 14 (Pre-Trump era)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »

Grumpy Bernie Sanders, who will not have gotten over the fact that he lost in 2016. If no one else is going to challenge Hillary, he is going to try again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies