Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Are you sick of what bathrooms people are allowed to use being treated as a major political issue?
Yes

No

KEEP THEM WEIRDOS OUT OF THE LADIES' ROOM!!!!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?  (Read 5945 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »

My position is based on protecting our women and children against men masking themselves as transgendered just to have whatever way they want with them.

Oh ... did the NC law also liberalize the rules on rape? Because I've never understood the argument that someone evil enough to commit a crime like rape, let alone stupid enough to do so in a public restroom, will nonetheless respect a misdemeanor law on who is supposed to go into said public restroom. I mean really, its fine to argue "these people make me uncomfortable and the bathroom is supposed to be a safe space, so while I understand why transgender people might feel uncomfortable in one bathroom, the majoritarian option would be to protect the larger number of non-trans people who also feel uncomfortable in this situation." While I disagree with this position, it is logically consistent and perfectly reasonable to have. But this whole "Letting them use the bathrooms will clearly lead to more violent rapes because the Police will be powerless to stop 600 lb bearded bikers from doing literally anything if it happens in a bathroom" argument is stupid. I mean, is murder more likely now too since murderers are now "allowed" to follow victims into the bathroom?

It's find to disagree on this issue, but at least don't resort to baseless fear-baiting. There are lots of other things to fear that are actually grounded in reality. Like Hillary and Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »

My position is based on protecting our women and children against men masking themselves as transgendered just to have whatever way they want with them.

What bathroom should he use?

If it was born with female genitalia, keep him/her the hell out of the men's room.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »

If it was born with female genitalia, keep him/her the hell out of the men's room.

Huh weird, I didn't know you were trash .
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

I think X was trying to make some kind of sarcastic joke. At least I hope so...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »

I think X was trying to make some kind of sarcastic joke. At least I hope so...
It was a joke. I'd be amazed if it wasn't. In fact, I'd be more concerned about JCL hacking his account than I would be about X being a transphobe.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »

So... how many cases of men turning into women to go into their bathroom in order to get their rocks off have there been?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

Settle down, it was a joke.  Sheesh.  I'd have hoped the fact that I was referring to a person as an "it" would make that obvious.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:12 AM »

Sorry mate Sad was being unfairly grouchy
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 04:48:26 AM »

Per Governor Pat McCrory's comments on Meet the Press this Sunday (April 17th):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Per this interesting article which lays out the argument that has to be on the minds of the parents of every young woman entering college:

Sorry, but the status quo is to base a person's use of a bathroom on the genitals they have, and I have yet to hear a compelling argument for making a change to the status quo...
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:01 AM »

Per Governor Pat McCrory's comments on Meet the Press this Sunday (April 17th):

Per this interesting article which lays out the argument that has to be on the minds of the parents of every young woman entering college:

Sorry, but the status quo is to base a person's use of a bathroom on the genitals they have, and I have yet to hear a compelling argument for making a change to the status quo...

Sooo....

?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »

Sooo....

?

Simple: it this is a "he" (which is to say, has a penis), he uses the bathroom for men; if this is a "she" (no penis), she uses the bathroom for women. Please explain the source of your confusion...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »

Oh great. We REALLY needed someone else to take up the bigot mantle after Wolverine's "conversion".
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »

Sooo....

?

Simple: it this is a "he" (which is to say, has a penis), he uses the bathroom for men; if this is a "she" (no penis), she uses the bathroom for women. Please explain the source of your confusion...

So you would be comfortable with this man using the restroom with your hypothetical wife and daughters?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »

Who's the small government republican checking people's genitals for compliance when they enter the bathroom?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »

Oh great. We REALLY needed someone else to take up the bigot mantle after Wolverine's "conversion".

Apparently my grandparents and your grandparents and everybody's grandparents were complete bigots, 'cuz what I'm describing is the way things have operated for some time now...

So you would be comfortable with this man using the restroom with your hypothetical wife and daughters?

If he has a penis, than he's a man, and he should be using the restroom that's designated for the men. If "he" doesn't have a penis, "he" should be using the bathroom for the women. And yes, if "he's" a woman, than I have no problem with "him" sharing a bathroom with my hypothetical wife and daughters.

Who's the small government republican checking people's genitals for compliance when they enter the bathroom?

You're absolutely right: we've always operated under the honor system when it comes to this kind of stuff, and in generations past that has always worked pretty well. Unfortunately, for some reason, what's worked fine for so long is no longer acceptable.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »

Here's a tip: you've already shared a bathroom with someone whose genitals you disapprove of, and everything has been fine.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »

You're absolutely right: we've always operated under the honor system when it comes to this kind of stuff, and in generations past that has always worked pretty well. Unfortunately, for some reason, what's worked fine for so long is no longer acceptable.

My understanding has been that it's the right that's claiming this no longer works.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Apparently my grandparents and your grandparents and everybody's grandparents were complete bigots, 'cuz what I'm describing is the way things have operated for some time now...

Well yeah, thankfully many awful views that were widespread at the times of our grandparents aren't OK anymore. It's called progress.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »

Sooo....

?

The confusion is that the article you posted stresses concerns about who can walk into the girl's restroom where a drunk college girl is passed out on the floor. If we accept that argument, are you saying you are okay with this man being the one who finds said hypothetical drunk college girl?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »

Here's a tip: you've already shared a bathroom with someone whose genitals you disapprove of, and everything has been fine.

This is your argument? FWIW, I don't disapprove of anyone's genitals, but I do understand the difference in the psychological patterns of men and women, and I would like to see some distance maintained between men and women when it comes to bathroom/locker room facilities.

Well yeah, thankfully many awful views that were widespread at the times of our grandparents aren't OK anymore. It's called progress.

Yes, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain how/why our grandparents were wrong in taking this approach, and in what ways the proposed new approach would be an improvement. Or are you saying it's progress by virtue of the fact that the calendar year is showing a higher number than it did in our grandparents' day?

The confusion is that the article you posted stresses concerns about who can walk into the girl's restroom where a drunk college girl is passed out on the floor. If we accept that argument, are you saying you are okay with this man being the one who finds said hypothetical drunk college girl?

The article I posted gives a concrete example about a specific scenario of concern. And once again, my answer is quite simple: does this "man" have a penis or not? If yes, than I don't want him anywhere near our hypothetical drunk college girl, and if no, I have no problem with "him" finding her. Do you not understand this particular line of reasoning? Is the concern raised in the article baseless? I'm willing to listen to counter arguments, but despite what some would say, calling me a bigot is not a counter argument.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »

Yes, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain how/why our grandparents were wrong in taking this approach, and in what ways the proposed new approach would be an improvement. Or are you saying it's progress by virtue of the fact that the calendar year is showing a higher number than it did in our grandparents' day?

There are pages and pages of threads with many posters more articulate than me trying to explain in great detail to f**king bigots like you why they are f**king bigots. Everybody is sick of these arguments now - which, in the case you missed it, is the whole point of this thread.

So if you want to keep holding horrible, hateful views, be my guest. That's your problem. Just have the decency to not advertise them so much.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:45 PM »

There are pages and pages of threads with many posters more articulate than me trying to explain in great detail to f**king bigots like you why they are f**king bigots. Everybody is sick of these arguments now - which, in the case you missed it, is the whole point of this thread.

So if you want to keep holding horrible, hateful views, be my guest. That's your problem. Just have the decency to not advertise them so much.

How is it that having people that have a penis use the bathrooms/locker rooms marked "Men", and people who don't have a penis use the bathrooms/locker rooms marked "Women", why is that "hateful"? With all of these horrible, hateful views that you claim I have, I just need to point out that I'm the one who's being called a "f**king bigot" by you; your loving kindness is simply overwhelming. I suppose I will have to go in search of those pages and pages of posts by people more articulate than you; maybe they'd be willing to carry on a civil discussion...
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »

People should be able to use the bathroom that matches the gender they identify with.  Whats the harm?  Obviously there can be exceptions to prevent big strong butch male-to-females who could overpower women from entering, but that wouldn't apply to most transgenders.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

This is your argument? FWIW, I don't disapprove of anyone's genitals, but I do understand the difference in the psychological patterns of men and women, and I would like to see some distance maintained between men and women when it comes to bathroom/locker room facilities.

If we assume that males and females have different psychological patterns, and we assume transgender people exist, then couldn't somebody be transgendered becasue they have psychological patterns opposite of their birth gender?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »

How is it that having people that have a penis use the bathrooms/locker rooms marked "Men", and people who don't have a penis use the bathrooms/locker rooms marked "Women", why is that "hateful"? With all of these horrible, hateful views that you claim I have, I just need to point out that I'm the one who's being called a "f**king bigot" by you; your loving kindness is simply overwhelming. I suppose I will have to go in search of those pages and pages of posts by people more articulate than you; maybe they'd be willing to carry on a civil discussion...

I love your essentialist distinction between men and women. A man is anybody with a penis. A woman is anybody without a penis. I honestly couldn't make this up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies