Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Are you sick of what bathrooms people are allowed to use being treated as a major political issue?
Yes

No

KEEP THEM WEIRDOS OUT OF THE LADIES' ROOM!!!!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Are you sick of the 'Bathroom Question'?  (Read 5927 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

What problems? What problems are happening that need to be fixed here? Is "I don't like the looks of a person using the bathroom at the same time as me" really something that needs a legal remedy? It feels an awful lot like the problem is with the person going out of their way to judge the looks of the other people in the bathroom than it is with the person just trying to go about their business.

See my original post in this thread for a concrete problem scenario. You don't understand why we have separate bathrooms today for men and women? You tell me: what issues are we trying to avoid by having men and women in separate facilities? I find it disingenuous to say that you have no idea what problems we might be working to avoid. And again, this has nothing to do with transgenders, and everything to do with protecting, and being sensitive to the privacy concerns of, women.

How magnanimous of you, to assume that all women need your protection from a nonexistent problem.

If this has nothing to do with trans people, why not exempt them? Why all the creepy insistence on your approval of everyone's genitals?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »

Yes, let's check to see before someone enters a bathroom. Policemen/security guards in front of every bathroom door would reduce the rape probability dramatically.

Is that what we really want? A long line of checking drivers's licenses when you really need to go?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

If this has nothing to do with trans people, why not exempt them? Why all the creepy insistence on your approval of everyone's genitals?

Why the need to exempt trans people? And the only reason for the creepy focus on people's genitals is the question being raised about who uses bathrooms marked "men" and "women"; I thought it was pretty clear who should use which, but apparently there's now some confusion, so my answer is to make it easy and explicit: if you have a penis, use the bathroom for men, and if you don't, use the bathroom for women.

Yes, let's check to see before someone enters a bathroom. Policemen/security guards in front of every bathroom door would reduce the rape probability dramatically.

Is that what we really want? A long line of checking drivers's licenses when you really need to go?

I'm not suggesting this. I realize that people love to twist arguments for their purposes, so let me make this clear: if you ask who should be using which bathroom, my answer would be based on genitalia; if you ask how this would be done, my answer would that folks would be on the honor system, pretty much like it's done today. Hopefully, that's clear enough.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

Women have more to fear from testosterone than the mere presence of a penis, if you really desire to go down the biological essentialist route.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 01:16:52 AM »

My position is based on protecting our women and children against men masking themselves as transgendered just to have whatever way they want with them.

What bathroom should he use?

Still waiting JCL.

What bathroom should this person use and why?

Come on now Smiley
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:02 AM »

My honest, no BS thoughts on the North Carolina trans bathroom bill (I apologize for the long post but I'm actually not sorry):

Let's call this law what it actually is shall we? Homophobic politicians and their supporters are disgusted by LGBT people. They used to be able to deny them marriage rights but now that's out the window. Not to mention the majority of Americans support LGBT marriage rights and it's only increasing as the years go by. So what do they have left? What can they do to make their feelings of hate valid so they can sleep at night? What will give them an ounce of power that they feel is slipping away faster than ever? Target trans people.

I'd venture to guess most Americans don't personally know a trans person. Human beings are flawed and we tend to fear what we don't understand. So what do these homophobic politicians decide to do? Target trans people by denying them one of the most simple things that we do everyday: pee in the bathroom. How do they get the vast majority of voters to support them? Fear. Scare parents into thinking that child molesters will now throw on a dress and some lipstick and attack your kids and wives. That way it doesn't come across as "homophobic" or "hateful". It's all about protecting the children. Well, some of us aren't easily scared or duped. We know this has NOTHING to do with children, families, or safety (just like segregated water fountains had nothing to do with public health). This is typical fear mongering and it's been happening in this country for our entire history.

It'd be lovely to think that we've moved on from fear and can be a society that takes a breath before we judge. Apparently not.

You know who the real victims are here? Trans people. Trans women already have a 1 in 2 chance of being physically or sexually assaulted. Even with public accommodation laws they still face harassment on a daily basis.

If this law makes you uncomfortable, I ask that you do this. Find a trans person, grab a cup of coffee, and sit down and chat. Listen to them and what their stories are. Ask them what this law means to them. Just listen. It's a skill we seem to have lost in our modern age.

Listening to others who are different than us helps us understand the world from their angle. That's something we all could benefit from instead of immediately reaching for the torches and pitchforks. Finally, I'd encourage everyone to not be silent in the face of injustice. Let's call hate out when we see it.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2016, 04:48:02 AM »

I dont see an issue with trannys using the womens room, however I dont see an issue with them using the mens either.   
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »

I'm sick of it being an issue, in the sense that I want it resolved.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »

There was not an issue here until conservative christians made an issue out of somethings that's been going on since bathrooms were created.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2016, 03:47:43 AM »

Yes. Using the restroom is a right, and being forced into the wrong one because of your genitals is indefensible.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »

Fitting day for bumping this thread.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2016, 05:24:55 PM »

Our community is under attack. We need to band together as the LGBT community and not shun one segment of it. We ought to rally around each other and not cut our own down.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »

I would like to make a modest proposal. All gender neutral bathrooms in private residences should be banned.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies