Libertarian Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:53:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Libertarian Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Who do you support for the Libertarian nomination?
Gary Johnson
John McAfee
Austin Peterson
Darryl Perry
Marc Allen Feldman
Not a libertarian
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Libertarian Thread  (Read 7658 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 02:50:12 AM »

sparkey, there appears to be serious, noticeable negative momentum for Johnson as of late, but is it enough to prevent him from getting a majority of delegates in your view? Can one of the other candidates (most likely McAfee) be able to create a large enough coalition to usurp Johnson?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »

sparkey, there appears to be serious, noticeable negative momentum for Johnson as of late, but is it enough to prevent him from getting a majority of delegates in your view? Can one of the other candidates (most likely McAfee) be able to create a large enough coalition to usurp Johnson?

After this debate, I'd say John McAfee has a better chance than ever to beat him. Johnson's campaign is probably at it's weakest point.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »

I think McAfee can do it, although it's still a long shot. He'll need a stellar LNC debate performance, and probably multiple ballots with Perry and Petersen supporters moving to him. I'm not sure that Perry or Petersen can pull it off, though, with the main problem being that they'll have difficulty pulling support from each other.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

Former Virginia gubernatorial candidate Robert Sarvis endorses Gary Johnson. He got 145,000 votes, but he is probably the least libertarian member of the party, does this help or hurt him?
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

I wonder how the Derrick Michael Reid campaign feels about all this.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »

*blows dust off forum account*

Glad some of you now can see what an intelligent man John McAfee is.  Also, no one is stronger and privacy or understands cyber-security better than him. 

But wouldn't you like to see him drill Trump into the ground in a debate? I sure the heck would. 
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »

*blows dust off forum account*

Glad some of you now can see what an intelligent man John McAfee is.  Also, no one is stronger and privacy or understands cyber-security better than him. 

But wouldn't you like to see him drill Trump into the ground in a debate? I sure the heck would. 

Yes, I would like to see that, if I could choose one thing to happen this election season. It would be for him to win, but schooling Trump in a debate is a close second.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 03:52:30 PM »

Currently watching the LP debate on YouTube. First time I heard of Austin Petersen, he sort of reminds me of Marco Rubio.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »

Petersen is the best idea wise because he's a constitutionalist, but he is annoying. I like McAfee, too, but I am pretty sure he is embroiled in some kind of illegal drugs and he probably murdered somebody. Johnson just seems high all the time and isn't really a libertarian
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »

You guys really have to nominate McAfee if you're going to be taken seriously.  Right now the two stereotypes of the libertarian party are that it's a bunch of stoners who don't understand politics and want to be unique or it's a bunch of annoying constitution know-it-alls who've read too many fringe political science books.  Johnson just embodies the former, Petersen embodies the latter, McAfee at least is refreshing and focuses the debate on civil liberties, which is an issue people are willing to listen to the libertarians about.  Nobody really cares that much about weed anyway and if Petersen is your nominee nobody will care what he has to say.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »

This is the political party Rand Paul should of ran in, and he would of won the debate. Austin Petersen comes in 2nd, Gary Johnson 3rd place.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

Are they seriously considering anyone other than Johnson?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:31 PM »

Are they seriously considering anyone other than Johnson?

Yeah, John McAfee and Austin Peterson are becoming serious contenders.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »

I gotta say, McAfee's voice is incredibly reassuring. 
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »

I gotta say, McAfee's voice is incredibly reassuring.  
I agree, I didn't think I could take the guy serious, but I think he's changed my mind. 

Now that I watched the debate, this give me more incentive to vote 3rd party.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »

I just watched half of the Mississippi debate. Some of these guys are really bad about ah's, um's, and unusually long pauses.

The big issue on which I fundamentally disagree with the Libertarian candidates is immigration. But if Trump is the GOP nominee, I'll have a choice between a candidate with whom I agree on only immigration (and even then, I don't agree with everything he wants to do) and a candidate with whom I agree on nearly everything but immigration. I'll be choosing the latter.

So under what circumstances would the Libertarian nominee be granted a podium in a general-election debate? I heard that mentioned several times in the debate.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »

So under what circumstances would the Libertarian nominee be granted a podium in a general-election debate? I heard that mentioned several times in the debate.

The current rule is 15% in national polls. 
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »

Yeah basically, but there is also the fact that the debate commission is controlled by the republicans and democrats. That might pose a problem.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »

I have not seen the debate, but I think the issue here is the Gary Johnson is a two-term Governor of New Mexico.  He presents with credentials sufficient for the average citizen to say, "Yeah, he's up to the job."   This is important in a race where both major party nominees will have high negatives.

McAfee is crazy.  Period.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »

I have not seen the debate, but I think the issue here is the Gary Johnson is a two-term Governor of New Mexico.  He presents with credentials sufficient for the average citizen to say, "Yeah, he's up to the job."   This is important in a race where both major party nominees will have high negatives.

McAfee is crazy.  Period.
He's still better than Sanders and Clinton.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »

Yeah basically, but there is also the fact that the debate commission is controlled by the republicans and democrats. That might pose a problem.
With Trump as the GOP nominee and no "real Republican" third-party ticket, I could see 15% happening in a poll or two.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »

With Trump as the GOP nominee and no "real Republican" third-party ticket, I could see 15% happening in a poll or two.
The closest alternative to Ted Cruz on the Libertarian ticket is Austin Petersen, watch the debate. He's principled like Cruz but has speaking skills of Marco Rubio. I could vote for him if the election came down to Trump vs Clinton.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »

A Libertarian Future poll:

Gary Johnson 51%
Austin Peterson 34%
John McAfee 10%
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »

The closest alternative to Ted Cruz on the Libertarian ticket is Austin Petersen, watch the debate. He's principled like Cruz but has speaking skills of Marco Rubio. I could vote for him if the election came down to Trump vs Clinton.

That's not a good thing.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »

That's not a good thing.
Speaking skills and debating skills are two very different things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies