Libertarian Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Libertarian Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you support for the Libertarian nomination?
Gary Johnson
John McAfee
Austin Peterson
Darryl Perry
Marc Allen Feldman
Not a libertarian
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Libertarian Thread  (Read 7677 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« on: April 04, 2016, 01:26:42 AM »

The debate made me really excited about both McAfee and Petersen, I'm actually contemplating going to the LNC (it's not that far from me) and seeing if I could be a delegate, I'd be fine with any of the big three, but Johnson is just not a great debater.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:40 AM »

Fox News, MSNBC, CNN need to start vetting for national Libertarian debates on TV. It's the only way more people get exposed to an alternative 3rd party to the GOP and DEMs.

Especially when the GOP and DEM's have control over the CPD's.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »

McAfee did absolutely fantastic. I love the guy. He's wonderfully charismatic, he has great ideas, and he would be a wonderful candidate I could vote for in very good conscience.

Gary is weak. Low-energy!

I loathe Petersen. Self-important boner.

Why do you loathe Petersen?

His views are cut-and-dry and simplistic. It's possible to be both principled and nuanced. Petersen doesn't appear to realize that. He oversimplifies the concept of "libertarian". His "penny plan" idea is a joke; the problem isn't that spending in general is too high, the problem is that spending on certain things is too high. Instead of across-the-board black or white cuts, we need to recognize there are shades of grey here and that it may be more important to cut Department A than Department B. He has zero charisma, he's robotic in an era of idealization of authenticity. He wouldn't fare well at all in a debate (relevant given this is one of the best cycles for a possible Libertarian in the national debates), his views would turn voters away from the Libertarian party. It was said earlier he seems like he's spent too much time playing on usenet and reading fringe books -- these are not marketable qualities for a candidate.

He also leans somewhat conservative on many of his issues, he sounds like he reads basic libertarian talking points and regurgitates them to the audience.

McAfee and Johnson seem more honest, but Johnson isn't a good speaker.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »

Austin Petersen may be a LP candidate who could attract former Cruz supporters, but I believe he will alienate mainstream LP voters. Gary Johnson and to a lesser extent John McAfee have better name recognition and could appeal to more voters.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »

I think it's going to be a Petersen - Johnson fight with an insurgent McAfee or Perry at the convention.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »

I'm no Libertarian, but god Johnson is awful. Does he still have a lock on the nomination, or can McAfee usurp him? I honestly think he would do far better.

Johnson keeps acting like he has some sort of big career ahead of him, and he has to be tepid and unsure of core Libertarian positions (like prostitution, drug legalization, etc.).

He thinks he'll automatically be the nominee because of his tenure as NM governor and the fact he was a former Republican with some name recognition.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »

IMO the LP ticket should consist of 2/3 top 3 candidates, I would preferably have a McAfee/Petersen or a Johnson/Petersen ticket
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies