More qualified to be VP: Palin in '08 or Castro now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:29:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  More qualified to be VP: Palin in '08 or Castro now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: More qualified to be VP: Palin in '08 or Castro now?
Palin in '08

Castro

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: More qualified to be VP: Palin in '08 or Castro now?  (Read 2170 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »

Between Palin in '08 and Julian Castro in '16, who would you say had/has the better resume for a VP candidate?

Palin (on election day 2008): 23 months as Governor of Alaska, 2 years as director of a non-profit (that provided political training to Republican women in Alaska), 11 months as Chairwoman of Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, 6 years as Mayor of Wasilla (pop. ~8500), 4 years as City Councilwoman of Wasilla, experience as a sportscaster/sports reporter, bachelor's degree in communications from the University of Idaho in Moscow

Castro (on election day 2016): 25 months as HUD Secretary, 5 years as Mayor of San Antonio (pop. 1.4 million), 4 years on San Antonio City Council, experience as an attorney at a major law firm (Akin Gump Strauss) and with own practice, law degree from Harvard, bachelor's degree in political science and communications from Stanford
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »

On paper, Palin. 

In actually, CLEARLY Castro, though mostly by default.  Sarah Palin is a moron who doesn't know a god damn thing about government or really anything other than being folksy and charismatic and marrying a thug.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »

A hobo from the street is more qualified than Palin.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2016, 04:13:36 PM by Ebsy »

On paper, definitely Palin.

For the record, I don't think Castro will be VP.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »

On paper, Palin. 

In actually, CLEARLY Castro, though mostly by default.  Sarah Palin is a moron who doesn't know a god damn thing about government or really anything other than being folksy and charismatic and marrying a thug.

This and

On paper, definitely Palin.

For the record, I don't thin Castro will be VP.

This precisely.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

Castro is more qualified in terms of executive experience, education, and temperment.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

Both are morons who shouldn't be allowed within a heartbeat of the presidency
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »

On paper, Palin. 

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »

I appreciate the attention but I can assure you that I have no plans to seek the Vice Presidency.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »

Castro certainly more qualified, but that isn't really all that impressive. He isn't on my top 20 list for vp picks.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

Castro, but with Palin the bar is really, really set low.
Reginald
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »

No idea why people are saying Palin wins on paper.

In terms of executive experience, Governor of an irrelevant state < Mayor of one of the largest cities in the country. At least in my book. Obviously there are different priorities when leading a state vs a city, and I'm no Castro hack by any means, but Palin's resume is shallow. And it showed.
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

By most recent job title Palin.   If you factor in things like mental stability, iq, education level, and general seriousness of approach... well then Castro.   But I still feel he could be an historically inexperienced vp nom if he got it.

I would prefer Hillary picked one of the senators from Minn.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

Castro. Mayoring a large city is pretty similar experience to being Governor (yes, generalization, mayors in different cities have different powers, etc., etc., I know the comparison is imperfect) and VPs have been picked on the basis of Cabinet experience before (though this is more commonly a Republican thing; Cheney/Kemp/Bush Sr. all were picked in large part thanks to their experiences in the Cabinet). 5 years large-city Mayor + 2 years Cabinet > 2 years Governor.

McCain really messed up when he didn't pick Pawlenty. That guy ticked every box McCain needed him to tick.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »

Let's not forget that Dan Quayle had been in Congress for 12 years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »

No idea why people are saying Palin wins on paper.

In terms of executive experience, Governor of an irrelevant state < Mayor of one of the largest cities in the country. At least in my book. Obviously there are different priorities when leading a state vs a city, and I'm no Castro hack by any means, but Palin's resume is shallow. And it showed.

Castro is definitively killing her on paper. Former mayor of one of the largest cities in the country and cabinet secretary v. a half-term governor of one of least less populated states and former mayor of a "city" with the population of mere 8,621.

Palin was easily a VP candidate with the least impressive resume since Spiro Agnew, and even Agnew's resume was better. Hell, in this regard she's barely better than the likes of Arthur Sewell, John Kern or Frank Knox.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »

FYI Mayor of San Antonio is a part-time job, not a full-time one.  The city manager does most of the actual work there.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »

Castro's Department of Housing and Urban Development employs more people that Wasilla had when Palin was mayor. San Antonio has more people living in it than live in Alaska. So, Castro.

That said, I think he is extremely overrated for VP by any measure.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »

What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at the track record for opportunity to change it.

At the same time, who's more apt to be talking about solutions those terrorists who would seek to destroy America and our allies.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »

Castro is better qualified given the size of the Texas city vs the whole state of Alaska and he has some cabinet experience on top of it.

Regardless, it would be silly for Clinton to make such a McCain-sque gambit. Even though I don't think experience is that important, one of Clinton's biggest strengths is her experience relative to TRUMP or Cruz. Aside from being a woman, a good campaign theme to cement upon is calling the Republican nominee dangerous and unqualified in contrast with her background. The last thing she needs is someone a heartbeat away to cancel that out and remind people of Palin. The whole 'balancing thing' is pretty overrated IMO.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

Let's not forget that Dan Quayle had been in Congress for 12 years.

The word used in the thread title is "qualified". However bad of a speaker/possibly simply stupid he was, you can't deny that Quayle had the necessary qualifications.
Reginald
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

FYI Mayor of San Antonio is a part-time job, not a full-time one.  The city manager does most of the actual work there.

Well I suppose that complicates things a little. But I don't think my answer changes honestly.

Regardless, it would be silly for Clinton to make such a McCain-sque gambit [...] The last thing she needs is someone a heartbeat away to cancel that out and remind people of Palin. The whole 'balancing thing' is pretty overrated IMO.

Plus, it's not like she's going to need help wooing Latinos if Trump is the nominee.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »

Tom Perez or John Hickenlooper would be way better options for VP
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »

Castro, but only because we're comparing him to PALIN. He shouldn't be Clinton's VP pick.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »

Castro, but only because we're comparing him to PALIN. He shouldn't be Clinton's VP pick.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies