Federal judge makes gay adoption legal in all 50 states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal judge makes gay adoption legal in all 50 states
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Federal judge makes gay adoption legal in all 50 states  (Read 3494 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mississippi-same-sex-adoption_us_56fdb1a3e4b083f5c607567f

Yay, progress!
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »

This is just as important as the gay marriage decision as far as I'm concerned.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »

Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »

Is this an April Fool? Nothing would surprise me from HuffPost.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »

Marriage and children -- that's a conservative and traditional agenda.

Mainstream gays and lesbians cleaned up their act and such is their reward.

It is better that a child have two solid same-sex parents than some of the horrible heterosexual couples I have read about in local news (meth and oxy).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »

Can you explain what you mean by this?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »

More precisely, mainstream gays and lesbians cleaned up their image by denouncing the perverts who exploit children. 
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:25:42 AM »

It's actually bizarre that gay adoption is so popular in America and it's gay marriage that is the contentious issue (compare with Europe, which makes sense by being the opposite).

I look forward to the day when the courts have to deal with all of these awkward precedents when they discover there is no "right side of history.", especially not with culture-specific postmodern sexual subcultures.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 02:45:21 AM »

More precisely, mainstream gays and lesbians cleaned up their image by denouncing the perverts who exploit children. 

Yes, it really was such a shame that the majority of us were implicitly endorsing pedophilia for so long simply by existing and refusing to buy into the notion that we were similar enough to the pedophiles that we had to clarify our stance.

Roll Eyes
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »

a district judge issuing a preliminary injunction against a particular state law= "all 50 states" ??
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »

a district judge issuing a preliminary injunction against a particular state law= "all 50 states" ??
It was already legal in 49 states.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »

There are heterosexual parents who verbally and physically abuse their children. They starve them, chain them, molest and neglect them. Sometimes they murder them. Many heterosexual couples are strict and can cause a rough upbringing and psychologically hamper a child's development.

Keep telling us though how gay adoption is so bad simply because of their sexual orientation and gender.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

It's actually bizarre that gay adoption is so popular in America and it's gay marriage that is the contentious issue (compare with Europe, which makes sense by being the opposite).

I look forward to the day when the courts have to deal with all of these awkward precedents when they discover there is no "right side of history.", especially not with culture-specific postmodern sexual subcultures.

I remember thinking this as well when I first tuned into politics. If the main argument against gay marriage is "think of the children!", you'd expect they'd be far more opposed to gay adoption. Of course, it's mainly just about thinking gays are icky, and imagining two men (one in a wedding gown presumably) furiously making out at the altar gets their panties in a bunch far more than two men going down to the local adoption clinic does.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »

You do know that straight men molest seven year old girls too, no? What is with the homophobic D-MI avatars lately?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »

You do know that straight men molest seven year old girls too, no? What is with the homophobic D-MI avatars lately?

Michigan is just an HP place in general, it seems.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

Child molesters are perverts. Homosexuality is not perversion.  A straight male who molests girls is a pervert. A straight female who molests boys is a pervert. Get it?

I used to be hostile to homosexuality by standards of our time... until I got gay-bashed. I recognized that the problem was not that someone thought that I was gay; it was instead that people thought it open season on gays.

I quit making and telling gay jokes. I started standing up for gay rights in the name of the conservative stance of law and order.
Reginald
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »

I remember thinking this as well when I first tuned into politics. If the main argument against gay marriage is "think of the children!", you'd expect they'd be far more opposed to gay adoption. Of course, it's mainly just about thinking gays are icky, and imagining two men (one in a wedding gown presumably) furiously making out at the altar gets their panties in a bunch far more than two men going down to the local adoption clinic does.

Is gay adoption actually popular though? It's more just that the average American is so shallowly informed that only us nerds care about issues that aren't seeing a whole lot of political contention.

Gay marriage is horrifying because that's what the politicians and churches we like say over and over again (and yeah, gays are icky), but gay adoption is eh because no one has been lobbying against it as forcefully. For whatever reason. Likely because it's harder to vehemently argue for discrimination in adoption when there are vulnerable children involved, whereas cordoning off marriage is easy because this involves adults who have "alternative lifestyles" or "should know better" or whatever.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »

More proof that Mississippi is the worst state.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »

Sorry folks. Like it or not. Kids need a mom and a dad. Historically proven to be the best way to give a kid a better shot of bettering his or her lot in life. So no. Forcing gay adoption is absolutely wrong.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »

Sorry folks. Like it or not. Kids need a mom and a dad. Historically proven to be the best way to give a kid a better shot of bettering his or her lot in life. So no. Forcing gay adoption is absolutely wrong.
You sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

And you're a false libertarian.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »

Why don't you have a blue avatar?  You clearly support big government in the bedroom.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »

Serious question, do you think that single people should be allowed to adopt?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »

Why don't you focus your time and energy on banning single parenting then?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »

There must be something in the water.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »

Great news! I'm surprised that this hasn't gotten more attention. Hopefully the rest of the world will follow suit.

The alternative to gay adoption generally isn't straight adoption; it's no adoption at all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies