Donald Trump picked a terrible time to have his worst week of the [POTUS race]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump picked a terrible time to have his worst week of the [POTUS race]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donald Trump picked a terrible time to have his worst week of the [POTUS race]  (Read 1124 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »
« edited: April 01, 2016, 06:10:51 AM by Torie »

Well, we all knew about this already, but Chris Cillliza putting it all down in writing, brightened up my morning on this otherwise gloomy day in the Hudson Valley. Perhaps, just perhaps, the lemmings will not be running off the cliff after all.

Granted, that still leaves us with Cruz probably. So it's not like it's everything is going to be OK on the Fruited Plain time either. But it's better than being in hell.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:47:07 AM »

Chris Cillozer is possibly the biggest hack and fraud working. A sad article.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:35 AM »

The problem is that things that would doom another candidate don't seem to hurt Trump at all, and if anything seem to make him stronger. Let's wait for the Wisconsin results before we draw any conclusions. And even with all of this, Trump is still heavily favored to win New York & California.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »

He's not a hack or a fraud but I don't really agree with his conclusion. I can think of weeks where it might have been worse. Happening before New York or California may be worse. Even if we limit it to the past, if this happened before south Carolina and he got blanked to Cruz, that could have killed his momentum. It could have especially been bad for Super Tuesday if he only won a few states as a result. This assumes of course that all of this will actually affect the voting like people are presuming it will.
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »

Trump's biggest failing has always been getting off message. when he sticks to his message on trade, building the wall, taking care of the veterans, Muslim ban, he wins pretty resoundingly. when he gets into petty stuff like Bush and 9/11, Megyn Kelly, etc he under performs.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »

Again, let's reconsider after Trump wins New York State. I don't think it's likely that he reaches the majority threshold either, but Oakvale's is right about Cilliza: He's among the worst in the business.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »

Trump's biggest failing has always been getting off message. when he sticks to his message on trade, building the wall, taking care of the veterans, Muslim ban, he wins pretty resoundingly. when he gets into petty stuff like Bush and 9/11, Megyn Kelly, etc he under performs.

I think its more that he doesn't actually have that much message to stick to. The race has thinned out, and everyone and their dog has already heard his stump schtick. So while he still gets free coverage, reporters keep trying to draw him out. And since there really is nothing more to draw out, it doesn't even matter if they're friendly, neutral, or hostile. He can't sustain the pretense of being a competent candidate, and he stumbles when he tries. Hopefully, its a no-win situation for him.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

Uh, I can think of many worse times to have a bad week. Stupid clickbait article imo
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:02:05 AM »

This is what happens when you allow the candidate to just wing it  for too long.    At this point Trump should really only read from outlined policy script for every interview till the GE.  That answer in the town hall on abortion was a classic example of what happens when you allow the candidate to do whatever.
This campaign is still acting as if its the start of the primary season with 17 candidates left.   On foreign policy  dude just get a few advisors who fit somewhat of your view and just repeat those talking points instead of trying to on the fly come up with it.    Could it be that trump is just too cheap to actually tske this seriously?
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »

This is what happens when you allow the candidate to just wing it  for too long.    At this point Trump should really only read from outlined policy script for every interview till the GE.  That answer in the town hall on abortion was a classic example of what happens when you allow the candidate to do whatever.
This campaign is still acting as if its the start of the primary season with 17 candidates left.   On foreign policy  dude just get a few advisors who fit somewhat of your view and just repeat those talking points instead of trying to on the fly come up with it.    Could it be that trump is just too cheap to actually tske this seriously?

My theory has always been that Roger Stone came up to Trump at the start of the campaign and said "Donald, we need to think about spending a lot of $$$ on caucus organization, campaign infrastructure, voter registration drives, etc" and someone else came up and said "nah! we don't need that" and Trump unfortunately went with the cheaper option.

I think if Stone himself had been running this campaign, Trump would have locked up the nomination effectively by 3/15.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »

As I said in another thread, Trump is dead man walking, at least as far as the GOP nomination goes. He may have a few more good results, based on momentum, but the game is up. He had a unique opportunity to be POTUS but he was just too lazy to put some meat on his platform.

It's over for him - plain and simple. The GOP needs to start thinking what next - Cruz unfortunately is NOT a winning combination.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »

I agree with this TOTALLY.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »

Uh, I can think of many worse times to have a bad week. Stupid clickbait article imo

Pretty much. Worst times to have a bad week: leading up to NH, leading up to Super Tuesday, leading up to Winner Take All Tuesday.

This frankly isn't really all that bad of a time to have a bad week, if you are going to have a bad week.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

He is totally trying to lose.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »

A bad week before New Hampshire, South Carolina, Super Tuesday or Separation Tuesday (March 15), would have had much more of an impact.

The only result here is that Trump loses Wisconsin. And then romps in NY and the narrative is changed in two weeks going into the Super Tuesday Northeast primaries on April 26. I am not even sure that a 6-9 delegate haul from Wisconsin puts him much off track if he gets to 50% and takes 80-90 of those NY delegates.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

He's not a hack or a fraud but I don't really agree with his conclusion. I can think of weeks where it might have been worse. Happening before New York or California may be worse. Even if we limit it to the past, if this happened before south Carolina and he got blanked to Cruz, that could have killed his momentum. It could have especially been bad for Super Tuesday if he only won a few states as a result. This assumes of course that all of this will actually affect the voting like people are presuming it will.

Literally anyone on Atlas Forum would do a better job at "political analysis" than Chris Cilliza. His output is entirely meaningless horse race #analysis along the lines of "One thing's for sure - it's too close to call!"
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »

Literally anyone on Atlas Forum would do a better job at "political analysis" than Chris Cilliza. His output is entirely meaningless horse race #analysis along the lines of "One thing's for sure - it's too close to call!"

Bad analysis doesn't make him a hack or a fraud, which was what you stated. I've heard him as a talking head many times. His analysis in general is fine.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »

A bad week before New Hampshire, South Carolina, Super Tuesday or Separation Tuesday (March 15), would have had much more of an impact.

Yeah, I actually think Trump picked a great time to have a bad week.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »

Nah the Bush and 9/11 stuff. It moved Rubio up enough to take votes from Cruz and Bush, and Rubio being in the race helped out Trump significantly because Rubio was a very weak adversary.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »

Chris Christie doesn't approve of that
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »

His clickbait titles are even worse when the email faux scandal gets him all hot and bothered.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/09/25/50-headlines-that-reveal-wash-post-reporter-chr/205765
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

My advice right now for Trump

Demote Corey (at least on camera wise) and let Stone become the campaign manger far as title is concerned.  Corey of course would still somewhat be the lead.

Go on Megan Kellys show.  Ask what questions are going to be asked and let Roger Stone take it from there.  Of cousre fox will try to get cute but be prepared for it.  At the end apologize to her.   Women unlike men actually have faith in apologies.  This will help with republican women.

Those two things would probably fix a lot of his issues.  Talk more about trade,infrastructure and stay to a policy script on foreign affairs! of course stay anti muslim that actually helps him.

Is there a way i can get this message to the trump campaign?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »

He peaked too early, he looked like the right businessman to lead, but hes not a politican and said criminal to abortion; instead of adoption, what Bush W or Jeb would have said.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »

He peaked too early, he looked like the right businessman to lead, but hes not a politican and said criminal to abortion; instead of adoption, what Bush W or Jeb would have said.

That was somewhat incoherent...

I think it's hard to say he "peaked too early" when it appears his peak (if he has peaked) coincided with 60% of the delegates being awarded. That seems a good time to peak. Or would you rather be Kasich, who has most certainly not "peaked too early"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies