Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Is opposing interracial marriage racist?  (Read 2786 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »

Serious question though: What negative effects occur to people who come from mixed Jewish/non-Jewish marriages? Like I said, serious question, I've met such people in the past and never noticed any issues they had that could be related to that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »

oh and it's hard wired in us to mate with people with similar genomes to us.
Google search, pick your poison
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »

I don't know. I don't really have a problem with it, but I don't know if it is racist.  Some people like it for their fellow people to stick with their race. They say it makes society probably cleaner. After what happened in Dallas last night, you may see a decline in interracial marriage.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

If "preserving your heritage" is important to you in finding a mate, yeah, that's also pretty damn racist. Imagine if a normal ass White person said that.

It's also pretty terrible to your kids, since your putting pressure on them to carry on "your heritage" whether they want to or not.

Is it racist if a certain race is most attractive to you?

No one on Earth categorically finds another race unattractive. This is just some BS hypothetical.

No, but it's certainly possibly for people to prefer a tanned Caucasian skin tone or a light Hispanic skin tone. Or a very light skin tone. Or a very dark one. I don't imagine it's a hard and fast rule. Some people do consider appearances when looking for someone to begin dating.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

I don't know. I don't really have a problem with it, but I don't know if it is racist.  Some people like it for their fellow people to stick with their race. They say it makes society probably cleaner. After what happened in Dallas last night, you may see a decline in interracial marriage.

Uh..... Those people who want their "fellow people to stick with their race"? They're not people that should be listened to.

EDIT: Excluding the members of actually demographically challenged groups, like the discussion we had on Jewish inter-marriage earlier.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »

Yes, it is. Marriage is a personal issue between two individuals and none of others or the government's business.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »

Yes, definitely. There is a disturbing trend of faux-SJWs opposing interracial marriage or "considering" the possibility that it's OK to oppose interracial marriage for faux-SJW reasons. It's terrible.

With specific, small ethnoreligious groups, I'd say it's OK to oppose it on a personal level (e.g. "I wouldn't want to marry a non-Faroese person"), but getting involved in other people's personal lives is not cool.

Serious question though: What negative effects occur to people who come from mixed Jewish/non-Jewish marriages? Like I said, serious question, I've met such people in the past and never noticed any issues they had that could be related to that.

I think the main issue is that Judaism is traditionally matrilineal (although some modern Jewish groups are more lax on this rule) so a Jewish man would have to marry a Jewish woman in order to have Jewish children.

Personally, I don't think I'd go out of my way to marry another Jew, but if I was considering dating a particular person I might consider it to be a "positive" thing if they were Jewish. I wouldn't really see it as a "negative" if someone wasn't Jewish, though, as long as they're OK with me continuing to be a vaguely Jewish agnostic.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies