Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill  (Read 4772 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »

At 10:12 I was sitting through a godawful classroom fight about...this exact issue, actually (some really strange rhetoric, some but not all of it profoundly homophobic, being thrown back and forth; unironic use of the term 'sex-negative' as a theological category; somebody somehow brought BDS into it; a guest lecturer made a wildly inappropriate rape analogy), so I wasn't really in the mood to be mature in this thread. (I was using Atlas Forum in class because I've developed a bad habit of hating about half of my classes. I think after this degree I'm going back to secular academia...)

Nothing meant by it, I'm sorry. I just hate 'lol' with a passion Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »

Isn't this whole punishing states unconstitutional? That would be like a waiter refusing to serve a person who has differing political beliefs. Wouldn't the waiter lose their job?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »

Isn't this whole punishing states unconstitutional? That would be like a waiter refusing to serve a person who has differing political beliefs. Wouldn't the waiter lose their job?

But I'm guessing you'd be perfectly fine with it if the waiter refused to serve a gay person.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »

But I'm guessing you'd be perfectly fine with it if the waiter refused to serve a gay person.

I doubt that has any religious freedom implications because no religion proscribes gays from eating food unless that food is funsauce.

I suppose you might claim religious freedom if you didn't want to sell sex toys to a gay couple, but that's probably not your real concern if you're in the sex toy industry.
Kempros
Rookie
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »

I don't agree with a lot of state laws, but the rights should be left to the states to govern themselves. States Rights.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2016, 03:26:05 AM »

Wow. Just read the text of this thing. This is probably the worst of these I've ever seen. Supporters of this bill can't even use the old, "and a gay baker shouldn't have to make a wedding cake for a fundamentalist Christian, either" argument because this bill certainly does not provide for that. It literally only creates a totally one-sided right to discriminate against gay weddings.

The only silver lining is that Mississippi's refusal to even go through the motions of writing a facially neutral law means that there's a good chance SCOTUS could strike this down. Forget Obergfell, Romer v. Evans was supposed to put these kinds of laws to rest. 
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »

I wouldn't because that's just pure discrimination, I believe that you should have the right to not participate in a gay marriage that's it, other than that it is discrimination.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

The AClU will challenge the bill in District Court
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/us/mississippi-religious-freedom-bill-lawsuit/index.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:05 AM »

I don't agree with a lot of state laws, but the rights should be left to the states to govern themselves. States Rights.

1964 called.....
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2016, 05:38:37 PM »

There's also the Supremacy Clause.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies