Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:24:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Mississippi House Passes Religious Freedom Bill, Edit ACLU files suit over bill  (Read 4769 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »

There's no necessity for a religious freedom bill. We've had a religious freedom bill since the ratification of our Bill of Rights December 10, 1791.

Republicans trying to undermine progress and are sore sports they lost.

You guys cheated. We voted for traditional marriage state by state (even California). We used the democratic processes to protect the definition of marriage. You guys used oligarchs in black robes. This fight isn't over by a long shot. Get ready for a president Cruz and a conservative replacement to Scaila. Restoring the rights of the states to decide laws regarding social issues (life, marriage, religious liberty). The rainbow jihad is going for revenge wanting to directly attack the economic and civil liberties of people of religious conscience. You can't say that that's not happening.

So to protect religious people, LGBT people shouldn't have...you know...any rights?

Hold on afletich. Besides my opposition to gay marriage and military service, I'm actually quite tolerant of those of lgbt persuasion. When the debate over domestic partner benefits was going on I actually supported that. Just because I'm on the other side of the marriage issue doesn't mean I don't want to trample on all the progress the lgbt community has made. What has raised my anger is that an element of your community wants to threaten legal and economic destruction on folks of conscience just because they want to follow closely held beliefs on marriage and family.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »

lol
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »

There's no necessity for a religious freedom bill. We've had a religious freedom bill since the ratification of our Bill of Rights December 10, 1791.

You guys cheated. We voted for traditional marriage state by state (even California). We used the democratic processes to protect the definition of marriage. You guys used oligarchs in black robes. This fight isn't over by a long shot. Get ready for a president Cruz and a conservative replacement to Scaila. Restoring the rights of the states to decide laws regarding social issues (life, marriage, religious liberty). The rainbow jihad is going for revenge wanting to directly attack the economic and civil liberties of people of religious conscience. You can't say that that's not happening.

So to protect religious people, LGBT people shouldn't have...you know...any rights?

Hold on afletich. Besides my opposition to gay marriage and military service, I'm actually quite tolerant of those of lgbt persuasion. When the debate over domestic partner benefits was going on I actually supported that. Just because I'm on the other side of the marriage issue doesn't mean I don't want to trample on all the progress the lgbt community has made. What has raised my anger is that an element of your community wants to threaten legal and economic destruction on folks of conscience just because they want to follow closely held beliefs on marriage and family.

One thing I despise about modern American rhetoric is when people refer to the "xxx community." As soon as you phrase an aggressive agenda as coming from a made-up community, you've lost.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »

I'm straight. Just a big gay rights supporter. Homosexuality is not a choice. Neither is skin color. Remember, the Atlanta Motel case and that the Civil Rights Act also applies to private property.

It seems hypocritical to choose to serve one so-called sinner group over another.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »

CNN is reporting that Governor Bryant has signed the bill into law.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »

The Confederacy lives on.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »

I am extremely disappointed in Governor Bryant.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »

There already is religious freedom here.

We can't outlaw gay marriage. So what's the next best thing we can do to chip away at their rights?
Panda Express

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »

New York and Vermont delcare war on Mississippi - bans official travel to there.

http://news10.com/2016/04/06/new-york-vermont-ban-official-travel-to-mississippi-over-lgbt-law/
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »

Disgusting. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 09:34:35 PM »

This should be JCL's theme song:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's the song I've been listening to while reading this thread. It would fit as well, though it would have been even better as Marco Rubio's Campaign Song:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »

Mark Dayton bans non-essential state-funded travel to Mississippi: http://www.startribune.com/mississippi-s-limits-on-gay-rights-prompt-dayton-to-impose-travel-restriction/374758611/
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:15 PM »

That's unacceptable and dickish. The last thing we need is for the rest of America to turn their backs on us.

The art museum in Jackson had to cancel some big event there because the artist is a government employee in New York and has been forbidden to travel here. I can assure you the art museum and its patrons aren't discriminating against gays.

On the other hand, the people who support this law are proud that Yankee liberals aren't coming down here. These gotcha travel bans are having the opposite intended effect.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »

Red meat for his liberal base. To be clear, I like Dayton and I'm not sure whether I would have signed Mississippi's bill. But banning travel is stupid and will do nothing - this bill is here to stay.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:11 AM »

That's unacceptable and dickish. The last thing we need is for the rest of America to turn their backs on us.

The art museum in Jackson had to cancel some big event there because the artist is a government employee in New York and has been forbidden to travel here. I can assure you the art museum and its patrons aren't discriminating against gays.

On the other hand, the people who support this law are proud that Yankee liberals aren't coming down here. These gotcha travel bans are having the opposite intended effect.

You have to be sympathetic to how similar this would sound to the debates of the 1960s if we swapped out some words ... That's what's unacceptable.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »

Someone should take this religious freedom bills up the Supreme Court.

It will likely be ruled in favor if the Hobby Lobby case is any indication (which was also about using religion as a reason to go against a popular idea)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 09:53:44 PM »

Eh, it's not like anybody out there actually wanted to go to Mississippi.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »

You have to be sympathetic to how similar this would sound to the debates of the 1960s if we swapped out some words ... That's what's unacceptable.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »

It's really wonderful that religious freedom in the U.S. is now more or less synonymous with widening the purview of religious people to discriminate against others who don't share their faith outside of institutions of worship.  It lays such solid groundwork for national unity.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »

You could also say the exact same for modern Israel - and I think BDS is dumb.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »

..but really, who in his right mind would WANT to go to Mississippi? Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

because sanctions work lol
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »

are you twelve lol. using lol lol

Anyway, I think any form of dissaproval particularly if it's material is no bad thing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 11:28:00 AM by What shall make their sap ascend? »

At 10:12 I was sitting through a godawful classroom fight about...this exact issue, actually (some really strange rhetoric, some but not all of it profoundly homophobic, being thrown back and forth; unironic use of the term 'sex-negative' as a theological category; somebody somehow brought BDS into it; a guest lecturer made a wildly inappropriate rape analogy), so I wasn't really in the mood to be mature in this thread. (I was using Atlas Forum in class because I've developed a bad habit of hating about half of my classes. I think after this degree I'm going back to secular academia...)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies