Idaho Legislature Passes Bible in School Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:53:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Idaho Legislature Passes Bible in School Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idaho Legislature Passes Bible in School Bill  (Read 893 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »

http://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/idaho-legislature-passes-bill-allowing-bible-in-public-schools.html?platform=hootsuite

What do you think of it??? And I am actually writing a ten page thesis paper about this.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »

I'm skeptical of slippery slope in regards to religious influence in public schools. Otter is a religious conservative but is generally saner than his southern brethen. There doesn't seem to be mandatory field trips to mosques or creationism in science or anything of that nature.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This seems okay.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »

Yeah. It gives you the option whether or not to use the Bible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »

Seems pointless (since it's not like it was ever banned), but harmless. *shrug*
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »

Idaho loves to push Christian Sharia on its citizens. I'm not surprised.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »

Did you even read the article???
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »

I'm skeptical of slippery slope in regards to religious influence in public schools. Otter is a religious conservative but is generally saner than his southern brethen. There doesn't seem to be mandatory field trips to mosques or creationism in science or anything of that nature.

This seems okay.

explicitly allows it to be used as a historical reference though, which is almost as bad.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »

Did you even read the article???

What? You mean like how they have a religious text when it has no place in a public school? I hope the Freedom From Religion Foundation jumps all over this. Allow the other religious texts or allow none at all. Bring in the Torah and Quran while you're at it, but they won't do this because they favor one religion over the other.

I was not surprised to see Sherry Nuxholl's name in this article. She's a Christofascist theocrat who protested the Hindu prayer in the Idaho legislature, calling it a false faith with false gods.

Idaho is a backwards state full of Christian privilege. If any federal judge had sense, they'd strike this as unconstitutional.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »

I have absolutely no problem with this. The Bible is the most influential piece of "literature" in the world, so I believe there is educational justification for bringing it into the classroom, as long as it remains out of the science classroom.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

The Bible need not be in a science class to indoctrinate it to students.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »

Come on man, did you read the article?

I do think all religious texts should be represented by the law (which it does, though it does give the most emphasis on the Bible), but it seems like an OK concept to me.  The only issue that could arise is if in say, history class, it treats Adam and Eve as actual figures and starts human history at ~6,000 BC.  In which case, the school would have crossed the line into promoting a particular religion.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »

I do think all religious texts should be represented by the law (which it does, though it does give the most emphasis on the Bible), but it seems like an OK concept to me.  The only issue that could arise is if in say, history class, it treats Adam and Eve as actual figures and starts human history at ~6,000 BC.  In which case, the school would have crossed the line into promoting a particular religion.

If it gives the most influence on the Bible, that favors one religion over the other.

How do you know such a scenario wouldn't transpire in a history class? This is Idaho. You could still probably try to use the Bible to your own motives to proselytize, even if not in a science class.

I see exactly what this does and I know where it's going. The Bible in a public school is not good.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »

did you even read his comment...?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »

This seems okay.

explicitly allows it to be used as a historical reference though, which is almost as bad.

Evergreen has a good point. English class is probably the only place it should be allowed, and even then, it should be acknowledged as a book, no different from Catch-22, and not as the definitive word of God.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »

LMAO
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2016, 03:21:50 PM by Santander »

Evergreen has a good point. English class is probably the only place it should be allowed, and even then, it should be acknowledged as a book, no different from Catch-22, and not as the definitive word of God.
Without its religious context, the Bible is not very useful for study. From the Gutenburg Bible, to the KJV, to missionaries in China, the Bible has been at the center of Western history and civilization. It didn't become that way because it was a good book, it became that way because the majority of Western civilization believed that it was the Good Book. Of course, I believe that study of the Bible in public schools should be from a secular perspective, but its religious significance should not be downplayed, even in secular study.

Public colleges routinely teach about Christian philosophy, scripture and history in an intellectually honest manner without preaching. I don't see any reason why public schools could not do the same.
dax00

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »

The Bible need not be in a science class to indoctrinate it to students
... imply religious support and thus psychologically affect students in an unconstitutional manner. The Bible should only, if ever, be used in schools in solely literary analyses.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »

Bible by itself is certainly an important historical document, but it should not be used as an authoritative historical source. It all depends on the context. I mean, we constantly make refereences to the Koran at the University, but we are Department of Arabic and Islamic studies. Certainly using the bible in other context than theology, history of religion or the canon law is... unprofessional.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies