Project Trump's RNC Delegate Total
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Project Trump's RNC Delegate Total
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How many delegates will Trump have for the 1st Ballot at the RNC?
<1,000

1,000-1,099

1,100-1,149

1,150-1,199

1,200-1,236

1,237-1,299

1,300-1,400

>1,400

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Project Trump's RNC Delegate Total  (Read 1124 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:42:10 AM »

As of today, what is your projection for Trump's delegate total?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:48 AM »

So you mean the number of delegates who actually vote for him on the first ballot, which would include both the pledged delegates he wins in the primaries, and the unpledged delegates who decide to back him on the first ballot?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:55 AM »

So you mean the number of delegates who actually vote for him on the first ballot, which would include both the pledged delegates he wins in the primaries, and the unpledged delegates who decide to back him on the first ballot?

Yes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:57 AM »

Another way of asking it is: What will be the vote on the first ballot?  Out of the 2472 delegates, how many will actually end up voting for Trump, how many for Cruz, how many for Kasich, Rubio, etc. on the first ballot?

I don't know the answer.  I'll probably let a few other people take a stab at it first before I come to a conclusion.  Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 06:46:59 AM »

Around 1,250
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »

Given recent developments, around the low 1,100's.

Cruz will get the nomination on the third or fourth ballot.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »

Given recent developments, around the low 1,100's.

Cruz will get the nomination on the third or fourth ballot.

If the establishment has any chance to deny TRUMP the nomination, they won't pick Cruz. For them, he's just the lesser of two evils. They will try to nominate Ryan or Mitt.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 06:57:22 AM »

Probably a bit more than one hundred behind where he needs to be.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:29:44 AM »

If Kasich's and Rubio's delegates hold the balance of power, why would they not just refuse to vote for either Cruz or Trump forever? If that is the case, then either Cruz and Trump make a deal (hard to see that at this point), or at some point, somebody else gets nominated. If I were a Kasich delegate that is what I would do. Stonewall, and then stonewall some more. Cruz would tank the party - not as much perhaps as Trump, and perhaps not as damaging long term for the party, but it would still be an electoral disaster for the Pubs. Beyond his hardline policy positions, Cruz is one of the least likable candidates ever to run for POTUS. His charm factor is non existent.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 07:40:11 AM »

Atlas has a tendency to overreact to news cycles and different short-term political trends, so I'll guess Trump is either going to be either just below or just above 1237. I remember back when everyone was saying Cruz was done just a few months ago. So, I'll wait to buy into the latest "Trump is done, for sure, definitely this time" hype.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »

Atlas has a tendency to overreact to news cycles and different short-term political trends, so I'll guess Trump is either going to be either just below or just above 1237. I remember back when everyone was saying Cruz was done just a few months ago. So, I'll wait to buy into the latest "Trump is done, for sure, definitely this time" hype.

Yeah, I'll put the over/under on Trump on the first ballot somewhere north of 1237.  I don't think he'll get 1237 pledged delegates, but he'll come close enough that he can pick up enough unpledged delegates to beat 1237 on the first ballot (whether we'll know that going into the convention....I don't know).

However, Trump getting under 1237 on the first ballot is certainly a *possibility*.  And if that happens, then he's most likely done, as he seems to be getting absolutely murdered by Cruz in the delegate loyalty contest.  Too many Trump delegates are going to turn out to be "ninja" Cruz supporters.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »

If Kasich's and Rubio's delegates hold the balance of power, why would they not just refuse to vote for either Cruz or Trump forever? If that is the case, then either Cruz and Trump make a deal (hard to see that at this point), or at some point, somebody else gets nominated. If I were a Kasich delegate that is what I would do. Stonewall, and then stonewall some more. Cruz would tank the party - not as much perhaps as Trump, and perhaps not as damaging long term for the party, but it would still be an electoral disaster for the Pubs. Beyond his hardline policy positions, Cruz is one of the least likable candidates ever to run for POTUS. His charm factor is non existent.

The delegates start becoming unbound after the first vote. Many of the delegates will not actually favor the candidates they are (more ore less) required to vote for on the first vote.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »

Is anyone else having difficulty seeing Cruz emerge as the 'stop TRUMP' candidate at the convention? I really think that his only path to the nomination is to overperform in the rest of the primary season and end up close to TRUMP in both delegates and popular vote.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »

Some Cruz and Kasich/Rubio delegates may also be Pro-Trump for all we know, an open convention will be interesting to see how many delegates are actually loyal to their bound candidate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »

The delegates start becoming unbound after the first vote. Many of the delegates will not actually favor the candidates they are (more ore less) required to vote for on the first vote.

Sure, and how many Rubio or Kasich delegates will flip to Cruz, rather than just wait it out?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »

1,050 to 1,075
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »

1150 -1300 seems to be about where he will end up although with the upper end of the range more likely. Whether the unpledged delegates can bridge the gap from 1150 I do not know.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »

But he will still gwt the nod.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

But he will still gwt the nod.

How will that happen if he's only at 1143 on the first ballot, given that many of the delegates pledged to him on the first ballot apparently don't actually like him, and will flee from him on the second ballot?

See:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/trumps-uphill-delegate-scramble-221443

and:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-probably-first-ballot-or-bust-for-donald-trump-at-the-gop-convention/
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »

In terms of pledged, I'm thinking around 1,150. I think there are enough unpledged delegates that can give it to him on the first ballot, but if it ends up going to Cruz, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Republican party would spin giving the nomination to someone who came in second place, millions of votes and hundred of delegates behind the first place winner.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »

1125-1150
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »

~1100
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »

Recently, trump's numbers seem to be slipping slightly.
I think he will fall just short of the delegates he needs (let's hope).
It should make for an interesting convention.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »

I was one of the people saying Cruz was done a month or so ago. But that was because it was clear at that point he had no path to a majority of delegates and practically no path to a plurality either. I didn't think the party would actually go as far as a brokered convention to take the nomination from Trump. The thought of a brokered convention mostly seemed silly and implausible before, now it seems to be the most likely scenario. How quickly things change.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies