Opinion of Bernie's Income Tax Plan? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of Bernie's Income Tax Plan? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Proposal

Horrible Proposal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Opinion of Bernie's Income Tax Plan?  (Read 4449 times)
RR1997
United States

« on: April 02, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2016, 06:43:05 AM by RR1997 »

Massive HP (sane)

My parents (who make around $300k a year) would pay a 62% tax rate under this plan (and around 67% if you include state income taxes). 67% tax rate is insane. No one should be paying that much.

This plan would kill jobs and would hurt all classes. Sanders is an insane nut job. He's well-intentioned though.

I like Hillary's plan a lot better.

Hillary's plan isn't insane

I would enthusiastically vote for Trump over Sanders. Trump is so much better than him.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:52:06 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2016, 06:56:23 AM by RR1997 »

Both. Low and middle incomes need a tax reduction. Wealthy should pay a little more.

But that alone won't solve fiscal problems. In some areas, spending cuts are necessary.

I agree with you.

I don't mind slightly raising taxes on the rich (although Bernie's plan increases taxes on the rich way too much IMO), but Bernie's plan proposes huge tax increases on the middle class too. That's a terrible idea. It also won't play well with voters during the GE.

Trump's and Hillary's tax plans are so much better.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »

Massive HP (sane)

My parents (who make around $300k a year) would pay a 62% tax rate under this plan (and around 67% if you include state income taxes). 67% tax rate is insane. No one should be paying that much.

This plan would kill jobs and would hurt all classes. Sanders is an insane nut job. He's well-intentioned though.

I like Hillary's plan a lot better.

Hillary's plan isn't insane

I would enthusiastically vote for Trump over Sanders. Trump is so much better than him.

As much I do oppose this plan or any plan that increase taxes, I do want to take exception with your personal example.  If I read this chart correctly, the percentage numbers on the chart are marginal tax rates and not total tax rate.  So while your parents whose income is $300K will pay more taxes under Sander's plan than today, it does not mean their total tax rate becomes 62% under Sander's plan, which I of course totally oppose. 

The numbers on the chart are marginal tax rates? I never read the article and I just assumed that it wasn't marginal. Thanks!

It's still a terrible idea nevertheless. HILLARY and Trump have better tax plans though.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »

Are people on here seriously trying to say that the vast majority of rich people have gotten there through their own efforts and merits?

You gotta be kidding me.
70% of billionaires in this country are self-made. A majority of billionaires grew up in poor or middle-class circumstances.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »

A slight tax hike on the rich is a good idea in my opinion, but I think that Bernie's plan goes too far. I think the current income tax rates are perfect, and I like the fact that Hillary's wants to retain the status quo on this issue.

Trump's plan is insane and would largely increase our deficit.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »

There's this weird misconception (especially amongst leftist) that a vast majority of rich people inherited their wealth and grew up in rich families.

That's far from the truth. 70% of billionaires didn't inherit anything and a majority of the Forbes 400 didn't come from rich families.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »

Let's forget about wealthier taxpayers. The main thing I don't like about Bernie's tax plan is that he wants to substantially raise taxes on the middle class. That's not a good idea and it will severely hurt him in the GE if he were to win the nomination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies