International people: how old do you have to be to drive in your countries?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:18:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International people: how old do you have to be to drive in your countries?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: International people: how old do you have to be to drive in your countries?  (Read 4132 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »

Bono said the age is 18 in Portugal (for cars, apparentely not motorcyles). I really can't imagine not being able to drive to school at 16, ugh.

The age for a driver's license as far as I know is 16 in almost every American state although it's lower in a couple, such as North Dakota, where it is actually only 14 1/2 (14 is the age to get a learner's permit, and to get a license you must've had a permit for 6 months and have taken a behind the wheel class. My brother already has his permit and I can not imagine him driving). I wonder if there are any other places where its so low.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 03:28:22 PM »

17 in the U.K
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 03:48:22 PM »

16 in Canada.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 04:26:08 PM »

Actually it's 17 here in NY.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 04:39:38 PM »

For driving, yes, though you can get your learners license from 16 not that you can do anything with it until you are actually 17.

You can ride a low-power motorcycle from 16 after taking Compulsory Basic Training. My parents are presently trying to stop my 15 year old brother from taking this option.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »

It is highly ridiculous that in many American states, one is allowed to drive a hazardous machine before one is allowed to consent to sex.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 06:07:15 PM »

We definitely need to abolish driver's licenses for those 18 and older. You should still be able to get one for use in other states though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 06:58:04 PM »

16, although in BC there's a sort of lengthy process you have to go through.  At 16 you can get your Class 7L learner's license, which means you can drive, but there needs to be someone age 25 or older with a full Class 5 license in the passenger's seat when you drive, and you can't have more than one other passenger.  After a year with your learner's license, you can do your Class 7 road test, which, if you pass it, gets you a Class 7 novice license, which is actually very close to a full license; the only restrictions are that you must have exactly zero alcohol in you at all times when driving and that you can't drive at a period of time from midnight to five a.m. (this timing restriction is also in the Class 7L license).  After one and a half years with your Class 7 license, you can finally take your Class 5 road test, which, if you pass, will get your your full Class 5 license.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:39:57 PM »

In Canada it varies. For example, in Alberta it is 14.
In Ontario, you have to be 16 to take the written test, and there are restrictions on driving. 8-12 months later you are then allowed to take a road test, and then a few months later (maybe a year?) you can get your full liscense with another road test.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 06:05:09 AM »

In Denmark it's 18, but you can begin taking classes before you turn 18. If you time it correctly you can take the theoretical test before you turn 18 and the prectical test the day you turn 18. The only motorized vericle you are allowed to "drive" before 18 is a moped (and you also need a license for that)
Jens
Angola

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 06:07:31 AM »

I really can't imagine not being able to drive to school at 16, ugh.
But we can buy a beer at the age of 15 Wink (by the way a recently imposed age limit. In my childhood there wasn't any limit at all)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 08:13:58 AM »

In Canada it varies. For example, in Alberta it is 14.
That must have been a recent change. It was 16 when I was there.
18 here. Motorcycles, scooters and stuff have lower age limits - 16, 14.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 08:38:13 AM »

Actually, you can drive a moped(50cc) here if you're 14, and from 16 to 18 only a 125cc. Only from 18 up you can drive all you want, IIRC.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 08:41:15 AM »

Actually, you can drive a moped(50cc) here if you're 14, and from 16 to 18 only a 125cc. Only from 18 up you can drive all you want, IIRC.
IIRC streetcars and the really big buses have an age limit of 21 over here, which is a little weird. I think the rationale is they're demanding several years of driving practice with more ordinary sized traffic before they let you get the license.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »

IIRC streetcars and the really big buses have an age limit of 21 over here, which is a little weird. I think the rationale is they're demanding several years of driving practice with more ordinary sized traffic before they let you get the license.

Limit or floor? Smiley
Anyways, here you also can't drive trucks(over 3500 kg of net weight) or buses(over 9 places) before you're 21 either, and you have tot ake a special license(at elast when my dad took it, you had to learn mechanics).
The only exception to this rule are hearses.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 08:54:07 AM »

Limit or floor? Smiley
Huh?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You need a special license for the big trucks as well, but I think you can get that from 18, same as the one for passenger cars.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 09:39:59 AM »

Limit or floor? Smiley
Huh?

Well, a limit is upper, a floor is lower, I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »

While you need a special license for the bigger vehicles here as well apparentely at least in ND the age limit for that is the same as the normal one. There was actually a kid in my brother's class whose family owned an old school bus, can't remember why, it had something to do with what business they owned. Anyway, they figured it'd be easier to have him just drive that bus than get him a car, so they had him get the special license, and that's what he drove to school each day, I'm assuming it was a relatively small bus though or else he wouldn't be able to park it.

Aside from having to take a bus to school, not being able to drive under 18 also means not being able to go to Minot, plus having my parents take me to all school events.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 02:06:51 PM »

Limit or floor? Smiley
Huh?

Well, a limit is upper, a floor is lower, I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
Oh, alright. Floor then.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 02:12:37 AM »

16 learner's permit (accompanied); 18 probationary license (no alcohol); 21 full licence.

We can drink from birth, and buy from 18 Smiley
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »

In Denmark it's 18, but you can begin taking classes before you turn 18. If you time it correctly you can take the theoretical test before you turn 18 and the prectical test the day you turn 18. The only motorized vericle you are allowed to "drive" before 18 is a moped (and you also need a license for that)
In Holland it is similar, but you can only start taking practical classes and do your theoretical test for a car or a motorcycle on your 18th birthday. For trucks, buses or caravans you need an extra license, you can only get these when you have your basic drivers license for a car. After your 70th birthday, a medical test is compulsory.

Mopeds (max 45 km/h, 50 cc) are allowed at 16, but you need to do a theoretical test for those as well.

When you get a license for a motorcycle between your 18th and 21st birthday, you are only allowed to drive 125cc motorcycles.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2005, 09:07:51 AM »

Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 01:33:39 PM »

18. Same age when it's legal to drink. However you should wait until you are 20 if you want to buy hard liquor in liquor stores. In bars hard liguor limit is only 18 though.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies