New survey shows Muslim-Americans are model citizens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New survey shows Muslim-Americans are model citizens
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New survey shows Muslim-Americans are model citizens  (Read 1512 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2016, 01:51:04 AM »

Aww Trump, I guess you're wrong again about us!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://mic.com/articles/139613/muslim-americans-are-model-citizens-according-to-a-new-poll#.2g36p6BKV
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:59:32 AM »

If this is true, that would make American Muslims an incredible (and welcome) outlier in the Western World. IIRC, the 10% of France that is Muslim commits about 70% of the crime in the nation - and most of them actually display very low levels of religiosity. Unemployment is also sky high, though that could be partially attributable to discrimination.

On the other hand, this isn't surprising. Most American Muslims are relatively recent immigrants. Immigrants display low levels of crime, high levels of religiosity, and (poorly-placed) optimism in America's future. It's always the second generation, the children of immigrants, where you see the spike in crime, unemployment, secularism, and pessimism.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 02:07:16 AM »

If this is true, that would make American Muslims an incredible (and welcome) outlier in the Western World. IIRC, the 10% of France that is Muslim commits about 70% of the crime in the nation - and most of them actually display very low levels of religiosity. Unemployment is also sky high, though that could be partially attributable to discrimination.

On the other hand, this isn't surprising. Most American Muslims are relatively recent immigrants. Immigrants display low levels of crime, high levels of religiosity, and (poorly-placed) optimism in America's future. It's always the second generation, the children of immigrants, where you see the spike in crime, unemployment, secularism, and pessimism.

A lot can be attributed to the rates of integration as well, we're MUCH more integrated here than in Europe, also our economic situation are better here than in Europe. On average, American Muslims are a lot more religious than European Muslims and mainstream, amongst European Muslims you tend to fall into two extremes, ultra-conservative or secular.

Also, a lot of American Muslims are converts from other faiths so there is a more homely feeling among the Muslim American community.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 02:15:51 AM »

A lot can be attributed to the rates of integration as well, we're MUCH more integrated here than in Europe, also our economic situation are better here than in Europe. On average, American Muslims are a lot more religious than European Muslims and mainstream, amongst European Muslims you tend to fall into two extremes, ultra-conservative or secular.

Also, a lot of American Muslims are converts from other faiths so there is a more homely feeling among the Muslim American community.

I'm going to withhold judgement until the current generation of young Muslims grows up. The US might be better at integrating Muslims...or the US might just be France 20 years ago. I suspect the religiosity is strongly correlated with immigration background. I don't see evidence that American-born Muslims are particularly devout. Living in the era of BLM and associated Muslim youth chanting stuff about brown bodies or whatever, I'm not particularly optimistic about any minority group.

Economically, our youth cohort is getting screwed worse than Europe, but I don't think Muslim youth are getting screwed any harder than non-Muslims, which is not true in most of Europe..
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 02:17:20 AM »

I know plenty of Muslims, and they are great people who are a credit to the community. Without a doubt, they are patriotic and would defend this country if it was attacked.

However, I think it's fair to say that many of them were turned off completely from the GOP after the Iraq War and the Tea Party. Trump is not helping either.

No, it's not, there is a problem in our community I will concede that, but it's not as big as many want to portray it as, and our community is doing our best to report these people who feel like they can use our faith to attack others here (many of these same people WANT to turn Muslims and non-Muslims against each other. That is EXACTLY what ISIS and other radical groups WANT), but Trump's rhetoric is sure going to hurt relations in that regard, you have Muslim kids packing up bags asking their parents when the police were going to kick them out of their homes and be deported.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 02:20:50 AM »

I'm going to withhold judgement until the current generation of young Muslims grows up. The US might be better at integrating Muslims...or the US might just be France 20 years ago. I suspect the religiosity is strongly correlated with immigration background. I don't see evidence that American-born Muslims are particularly devout. Living in the era of BLM and associated Muslim youth chanting stuff about brown bodies or whatever, I'm not particularly optimistic about any minority group.

Economically, our youth cohort is getting screwed worse than Europe, but I don't think Muslim youth are getting screwed any harder than non-Muslims, which is not true in most of Europe..

When you have the 2 major candidates of one of the major parties calling for a ban on Muslims, a national ID system, and severe monitoring of your every action, along with open antagonizing of Muslims from said supporters, you sure bet it's not going to help
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 02:38:38 AM »

You know, you just reminded me of something from a couple of months ago. Obama visited came a mosque in Baltimore, which I thought was a fine thing to do to, but apparently many Republicans did not agree. Literally the only major conservatives I saw that supported the visit were Tom Rogan from the National Review and Jeb Bush. I think Kasich as well, actually.

Now look at where Kasich and Bush ended up. That should explain how far away many in the GOP are from the Muslim community. You literally have to be on the left edge of the party to support just visiting a mosque.

And George W. Bush campaigned FOR the Muslim vote in 2000 and has visited mosques before and spoke in FAVOR of Muslims, it kind of tells you how far to the right the GOP has gone.

Also you posted 4 times lol.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 02:53:07 AM »

When you have the 2 major candidates of one of the major parties calling for a ban on Muslims, a national ID system, and severe monitoring of your every action, along with open antagonizing of Muslims from said supporters, you sure bet it's not going to help

I see this as a fundamental culture clash in our society. If I were in the position of being from a group that contained within it both the primary perpetrators and victims of a type of crime, I'd want something to be done. Instead, we get a mass media that plays off "workplace incidents" and absolutely does everything to cover up every conceivable negative externality.

But we live in an intensely tribal society (masquerading as a nation) where every special group is primed to frame an issue as us vs. them. I think the Iraq War was stupid, but I was not impressed to see "patriotic Muslims" immediately frame a war against Saddam Hussein as a war against them.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 03:06:15 AM »

I see this as a fundamental culture clash in our society. If I were in the position of being from a group that contained within it both the primary perpetrators and victims of a type of crime, I'd want something to be done. Instead, we get a mass media that plays off "workplace incidents" and absolutely does everything to cover up every conceivable negative externality.

But we live in an intensely tribal society (masquerading as a nation) where every special group is primed to frame an issue as us vs. them. I think the Iraq War was stupid, but I was not impressed to see "patriotic Muslims" immediately frame a war against Saddam Hussein as a war against them.

I "Kind of" agree with this, people tend to identify more as their religion/culture than American as a whole. In regards to the Iraq War, many DID see this as a retaliatory war on Muslims based on the 9/11 attack from OBL and AQ, even though there was NO evidence that Saddam was helping OBL or AQ in any way whatsoever.

But in regards to what should be done I am of the opinion you can be somewhere in the middle, the governments should be seriously engaged with the Muslim communities who do report these people. For example, in Brussels there was a Muslim man who's friend went to Syria to go fight and when he went and reported his friend to the police about this, they did not take him seriously.

Governments can help work with the local Muslim communities to root out the radical elements from them as has been done numerous times previously. For the moment, I kind of do agree we should be weary of those coming from Syria but I don't think we should outright ban them unless we know for SURE those coming ARE coming with bad intentions.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:05:22 AM »

This poll is most likely spot on most Muslims are decent people.

PROBLEM is the Religion is at war with Christianity and it only takes one or two radical Muslims to kill thousands.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »

What an odd list of questions, and odd "conclusions" to come to from them.  Being religious doesn't make one a "model citizen" (whateverthefunk that's supposed to mean).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »

I don't think level of religion and patriotism is necessarily a factor in what makes a model citizen.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:50 AM »

The difference is that Muslims in America have rather more money than Muslims in Europe.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:06 AM »

The difference is that Muslims in America have rather more money than Muslims in Europe.

That's why I said American Muslims are better off economically.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »

That, and they're not segregated in what are essentially ghettos that have no employment opportunities (or life opportunities in general).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »

That, and they're not segregated in what are essentially ghettos that have no employment opportunities (or life opportunities in general).

Just contrast Dearborn with the southwestern side of Detroit. Southwestern Detroit is a cesspool of sexually-oriented businesses and liquor stores, with addicts, drunks, and whores along the street. At the Dearborn city limits, that stops. The Muslims believe in rigid law enforcement directed at low life... and many non-Muslims happen to like it that way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies