Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:12:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.  (Read 4740 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2016, 01:34:42 AM »

I deeply regret having to say this, but it appears that I was right all along. This really HAS gotten way out of hand and it is much worse than it ever was in 2008. Sanders and his supporters are the best chance that Trump has of winning the presidency.

Bernie didn't make Hillary be a sh**tty candidate.

No, it was you idiots who kept repeating it over and over again, ad nauseum, that made it appear to be so.

Roll Eyes

She's so weak that some powerless Bernie supporters got her to poll several points worse than Bernie in the general election?
The main reason why she is polling weaker is that so many Sanders supporters currently refuse to support Clinton due to various lies being spread about her.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

Seriously fellow democrats, the party really needs to come together

This is one of the most ridiculous Pro-Clinton arguments I have ever heard. There is no such thing as "Party Unity" when there IS a REAL DIVIDE in the party when it comes to policy. So let me ask you a question. How can a party EVER come together when there are differences in policy between two factions? Do you just expect members of the opposite faction of the party to lay down and vote for the evil they have been fighting against the entire primary season?  The party can never come together until there is total alignment between the two factions of the party, because if there are multiple ideological factions of a political party that is literally the exact opposite of the definition of unity.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2016, 01:38:17 AM »

I wonder how many of the Sandernista sore losers whined about PUMAs in 2008. I'm nearly certain jfern did. And btw, they had a much better justification to be bitter and salty considering how much closer the race was.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2016, 01:42:32 AM »

The 2020's are going to exciting for the Democratic Party.

It will be something the country has never before seen. A Party driven to majority by demographics, in spite being stricken by internal Civil War.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2016, 01:43:10 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2016, 01:51:14 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

This is one of the most ridiculous Pro-Clinton arguments I have ever heard. There is no such thing as "Party Unity" when there IS a REAL DIVIDE in the party when it comes to policy. So let me ask you a question. How can a party EVER come together when there are differences in policy between two factions? Do you just expect members of the opposite faction of the party to lay down and vote for the evil they have been fighting against the entire primary season?  The party can never come together until there is total alignment between the two factions of the party, because if there are multiple ideological factions of a political party that is literally the exact opposite of the definition of unity.

In a word, yes, we do expect you to just lay down. Because the truth is, that's what happens when you lose. What is more, the other candidate from the same party is usually not "evil" (Roll Eyes), and the policy divides you point to are at most extremely minimal.

You must realize that most of the current schism is not over policy. It has been caused by cheap shots at Hillary's character. There's a reason why most Hillary supporters are welcoming of Sanders while so many Sanders supporters seem to hate Hillary: Sanders has been stoking fires and alleging corruption; Hillary hasn't.

The "rift" only exists because one candidate resorted to using the GOP's playbook, and it's a f-cking shame. Because it's thanks to you folks spreading sh-t about Hillary being "evil" that the real antagonist could very well end up winning it all in November.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:31 AM »

I deeply regret having to say this, but it appears that I was right all along. This really HAS gotten way out of hand and it is much worse than it ever was in 2008. Sanders and his supporters are the best chance that Trump has of winning the presidency.

So Sanders supporters are behaving like a bunch of mob enforcers because Hillary isn't a good candidate.
Got that.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46:29 AM »

No, it was you idiots who kept repeating it over and over again, ad nauseum, that made it appear to be so.

Roll Eyes

She's so weak that some powerless Bernie supporters got her to poll several points worse than Bernie in the general election?
The main reason why she is polling weaker is that so many Sanders supporters currently refuse to support Clinton due to various lies being spread about her.

Lies spread about her? What lies? You mean like she takes money from Private Prisons, The Fossil Fuel Lobby, The Pharmaceutical Lobby, Wall Street Banks and Investment Firms, she got paid $225,000 for a speech to Goldman Sachs, she took money from Authoritarian Dictators as secretary of state, then proceeded to give them weapons deals, she supported the Iraq War, The Patriot Act, The Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, The Syrian Intervention, The Libyan Intervention, The Arab Spring, she supported NAFTA, CAFTA and other free trade deals, changes her position on various issues due to wherever the political winds are moving i.e. gay marriage, 2001 Bankruptcy Reform, Single Payer Healthcare, The Iran Deal,  Relations with Cuba etc.

Wait, last i checked those were not "Lies" those were FACTS.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46:47 AM »

After the election, we need to abolish caucuses and make open primaries closed to stop the looney left from having another primary uprising.

The problem is a lot of Democrats are registered as Independents. Most independents are not really "true" independents. Most of them just shun labels for various reasons but still end up voting for the same candidates a Democrat would (or Republican if they are a Republican-leaning independent). These primary uprisings are going to continue to happen as long as we have closed primaries and significant numbers of Independents. With the current situation, we should partially open the primaries up to Democrats and Independents, but no other parties. I'd prefer closed primaries myself but the fact is, we would be excluding quite a lot of loyal Democratic voters and that will continue to drive suspicion and anger every time we have contested primaries.

As for caucuses, I wholeheartedly agree. The entire system at this point is undemocratic and unreasonably time-consuming. I'm hoping many of the caucus states switch over for 2020-beyond.

This is one of the most ridiculous Pro-Clinton arguments I have ever heard. There is no such thing as "Party Unity" when there IS a REAL DIVIDE in the party when it comes to policy.

I don't think there is. We agree on a lot of the fundamental issues but right now, Clinton's plans are just, in some ways, more moderate versions of Bernie's, who went full liberal on everything. Our party is in relatively good shape compared to the GOP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:02 AM »

I wonder how many of the Sandernista sore losers whined about PUMAs in 2008. I'm nearly certain jfern did. And btw, they had a much better justification to be bitter and salty considering how much closer the race was.

The party didn't launder money for Obama during the primary to help him defeat Hillary. They didn't change the rules mid caucus to help Obama. So no, they had no reason to be upset.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:42 AM »

Things still aren't as bad as 2008.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2016, 01:49:00 AM »

And also considering the chief concern about Obama was his inexperience and unpreparedness, which kind of proved to be a legitimate concern during the first few years of his presidency when the guy demonstrated a pretty clear lack of leadership. What's more, in '08 McCain offered a legitimate alternative to those concerned about electing someone who was too green for the job. He was an honourable guy who certainly knew his way around the halls of power.

This time, the chief concern about Hillary is corruption (lolz). There is no excuse for anyone to believe that Donald Trump is somehow the antidote to concerns about big money and its influence. His whole goddamned life has been about money. It doesn't make sense.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2016, 01:50:10 AM »

Roll Eyes

Is the very real possibility that she'll be indicted before the convention a lie?

I can't help but think that lingering doubts about the damned email server are helping to fuel Sanders drive to keep going.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2016, 01:50:38 AM »

Things still aren't as bad as 2008.

Let's hope so.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2016, 01:51:38 AM »

Roll Eyes

Is the very real possibility that she'll be indicted before the convention a lie?

I can't help but think that lingering doubts about the damned email server are helping to fuel Sanders drive to keep going.

That's some of it, but certainly doesn't explain all of the several point gap in general election margins.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2016, 01:52:16 AM »

You could hear it in Sanders speech tonight. It was more about defeating Donald Trump and figuring out a way to open up the Democratic Primary process.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2016, 01:52:48 AM »

The party didn't launder money for Obama during the primary to help him defeat Hillary. They didn't change the rules mid caucus to help Obama. So no, they had no reason to be upset.

You're right...instead the DNC disenfranchised two huge states because muh arbitrary dates. Your hypocrisy is unreal. And by the way, literally none of the complaints from the sour grapes peanut gallery would've come anywhere near changing the outcome (because she's winning easily), further proving my point.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2016, 01:53:23 AM »

You mean the part where he accused the Democratic of stealing from him the nomination?
Or the part where he denounced the "Bernie or Bust" nutjobs?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2016, 01:53:42 AM »

Sanders wins off the back of hipsters, angry white trust fund liberals and anti-establishment rural types who tossed a coin between him and Trump. That coalition will fall apart and Sanders will be begging for the $27ers to pay off his debts. I don't really see them as a force by 2020.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »

You mean the part where he accused the Democratic of stealing from him the nomination?

He never said the Democratic Party stole the nomination from him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:10 AM »

Then what's all this nonsense about the system being rigged and superdelegates, closed primaries, etc.?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:27 AM »

Sanders wins off the back of hipsters, angry white trust fund liberals and anti-establishment rural types who tossed a coin between him and Trump. That coalition will fall apart and Sanders will be begging for the $27ers to pay off his debts. I don't really see them as a force by 2020.

You don't win 20 states with just that type of collation. Sanders core supporters will be there in the future and reality (look at the exit polls of those under 30) we are the future of the Democratic Party.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »

This is one of the most ridiculous Pro-Clinton arguments I have ever heard. There is no such thing as "Party Unity" when there IS a REAL DIVIDE in the party when it comes to policy. So let me ask you a question. How can a party EVER come together when there are differences in policy between two factions? Do you just expect members of the opposite faction of the party to lay down and vote for the evil they have been fighting against the entire primary season?  The party can never come together until there is total alignment between the two factions of the party, because if there are multiple ideological factions of a political party that is literally the exact opposite of the definition of unity.

In a word, yes, we do expect you to just lay down. Because the truth is, that's what happens when you lose. What is more, the other candidate from the same party is usually not "evil" (Roll Eyes), and the policy divides you point to are at most extremely minimal. Y

ou must realize that most of the current schism is not over policy. It has been caused by cheap shots at Hillary's character. There's a reason why most Hillary supporters are welcoming of Sanders while so many Sanders supporters seem to hate Hillary: Sanders has been stoking fires and alleging corruption; Hillary hasn't.

The "rift" only exists because one candidate resorted to using the GOP's playbook, and it's a f-cking shame. Because it thanks to you folks spreading sh-t about Hillary being "evil" that the real antagonist could very well end up winning it all in November.

You expect me to lay down and vote for a corrupt politician just because my candidate lost?
I don't know what kind of world you live in when you expect people to just lie down and vote for a lesser evil and for GREATER corruption.
As to what you said about policy. There are VERY substantial differences in policy for example, Hillary Clinton supports more hawkish intervention in foreign countries i.e. "No-Fly Zone in Syria", that is a difference in policy substance, she doesn't support universal single payer healthcare, she doesn't support free college tuition at public colleges and universities, that is a policy difference, She doesn't support raising the minimum wage to $15 dollars an hour etc. those are POLICY difference's.

And also to what you said about "Cheap shots at Hillary's character". I have no idea what "cheap shots" you're talking about. Every criticism of Hillary's "alleged" corruption is substantive, like her Wall Street speech's and failure to release them to the public, her changing her mind when it came to 2001 Bankruptcy Reform, when she took money from dictators and foreign governments as SOS and then proceeded to give weapons deals to Terror States like Saudi Arabia, when she lobbied for free trade deals as SOS and as First Lady which gave corporations more options to outsource jobs to low wage countries, these are not baseless accusations, these are accusations based in FACT.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:25 AM »

Then what's all this nonsense about the system being rigged and superdelegates, closed primaries, etc.?

Never said the system was rigged or even brought. Just said the he wasn't a fan of closed primaries and that the superdelegates should back him. Did we watch the same speech?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2016, 02:09:25 AM »

I do think you are right that they will lose out in the end, but I think the process will take much longer and be much nastier than one cycle.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2016, 02:10:55 AM »

Never said the system was rigged or even brought. Just said the he wasn't a fan of closed primaries and that the superdelegates should back him. Did we watch the same speech?

I'm haven't seen today's speech but the "rigged system" mantra has been constant for months now.
Also, the fact that the crowd chanted "Bernie or bust" and he just stood there and said nothing is more evidence that his vanity has clouded his judgment. The only thing missing was Terry McAulliffe to introduce him as the "next president of the United States of America".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies