What's next for Greg Orman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:05:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's next for Greg Orman?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's next for Greg Orman?  (Read 2663 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »

He's obviously sitting it out this year, but will he make a comeback in Kansas politics? Unlike so many other failed candidates, he's kept a fairly active social media presence--for whatever that's worth--and while he didn't win like many polls predicted, he gave Senator Roberts the run of his life. Kansas hasn't had a Democratic Senator since 1939, but Kathleen Sebelius was elected Governor in 2002 and again in 2006. Given how unpopular Brownback's been, perhaps Orman might make a run for the Governorship in 2018? Or maybe he could try to take the Kansas City-based 3rd Congressional district, which he carried over Roberts with ~55.8% of the vote.

Thoughts?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »

Go back to being a generic rich dude.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »

I wonder why he didn't run for the House this year. He lives in the 3rd after all.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:40:27 AM »

He's sure stayed pretty involved for someone who's given up on a career in politics.

I wonder why he didn't run for the House this year. He lives in the 3rd after all.
Though, yeah. Living in the 3rd and having done so well there last cycle, it's surprising...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »

For a solid month, there was a lot of discussion that he would run for senate against Moran. I never bought it, as Moran will be tough to beat. More recently, I have heard he's not planning to run this cycle. The DCCC is doing recruiting in the 3rd so maybe his name will be brought up again (as a Dem), but I doubt he would do it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2016, 10:59:57 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Tougher to beat than Roberts in 2014? Why?

I may have spoken too soon about not running (for the Senate) this cycle, as the filing deadline for Independents is August 1st. If DCCC is actively recruiting in the 3rd, it makes sense for him to stay away, for now. If they don't actually find a candidate...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »

I may have spoken too soon about not running (for the Senate) this cycle, as the filing deadline for Independents is August 1st. If DCCC is actively recruiting in the 3rd, it makes sense for him to stay away, for now. If they don't actually find a candidate...
Moran doesn't have the liabilities Roberts had. Roberts was easy to push back on with anti incumbent sentiment because he never came back to Kansas and he's been a senator for a long time. Moran is relatively fresh, being in his first term, and goes to every county in the state every year. He is MUCH better with constituent outreach. Also, Moran is more personable and friendly. When you look at the numbers, this shows with his higher favorability ratings.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »

Moran doesn't have the liabilities Roberts had. Roberts was easy to push back on with anti incumbent sentiment because he never came back to Kansas and he's been a senator for a long time. Moran is relatively fresh, being in his first term, and goes to every county in the state every year. He is MUCH better with constituent outreach. Also, Moran is more personable and friendly. When you look at the numbers, this shows with his higher favorability ratings.
You obviously know the state better than I do--and what you say makes sense, the full Grassley, or full Moran, is impressive--so I'll take your word for it. If DCCC does fail in getting a recruit--as they have so far--do you think it likely he does jump into the 3rd?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 02:57:03 AM »

If only the people of Kansas weren't such dumbs. Why would you vote for the DC Fossil over Gregory the Gallant?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »

You obviously know the state better than I do--and what you say makes sense, the full Grassley, or full Moran, is impressive--so I'll take your word for it. If DCCC does fail in getting a recruit--as they have so far--do you think it likely he does jump into the 3rd?
I don't know if he wants to run as a Dem, but I wouldn't count it totally out of the question
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

Oh, I meant, if it becomes obvious DCCC hasn't recruited anyone by say, late July, he could always run as an Independent. (And gain their tacit support.)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »

He's obviously sitting it out this year, but will he make a comeback in Kansas politics? Unlike so many other failed candidates, he's kept a fairly active social media presence--for whatever that's worth--and while he didn't win like many polls predicted, he gave Senator Roberts the run of his life. Kansas hasn't had a Democratic Senator since 1939, but Kathleen Sebelius was elected Governor in 2002 and again in 2006. Given how unpopular Brownback's been, perhaps Orman might make a run for the Governorship in 2018? Or maybe he could try to take the Kansas City-based 3rd Congressional district, which he carried over Roberts with ~55.8% of the vote.

Thoughts?
He really should have run for governor against Sam Brownback. Gubernatorial races are much less partisan, and Brownback is extremely unpopular.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »

1: You think Orman would have done better than Davis?
2: I see Davis as having been less likely to drop out than Taylor was.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »

1: You think Orman would have done better than Davis?
2: I see Davis as having been less likely to drop out than Taylor was.
2. 1. I legitimately think Orman would have done better than Davis did.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:48:18 PM »

Why, though?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »

Davis was the leader of the Democrats in the Kansas House. He represented a partisan challenge to not only Brownback but the Republican Party, and in a Republican wave year in a state that has never elected a Democrat to the Senate, it wasn't going to happen. Orman is an independent and could have run as one and just promised to clean house and focused on Brownback's record. He could have run a Bruce Rauner-like campaign, and I think he would have won.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »

Hmm. Makes sense. And he wouldn't have to deal with choosing a party to caucus with.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 10:46:41 PM »

Read this article, then tell me which major party would be anxious to take Orman in:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/04/07/thank_pampered_political_class_for_2016s_angry_electorate.html
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »

If it means he can unseat a Republican from Kansas, the Democratic one. Rich guy strikes a populist tone is basically Grayson, and Orman can probably do it better and to a great effect.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »

He needs to get someone like Sandy Praeger or William Kassebaum to run with him for Governor. The moderate Republicans are the only way to win in Kansas.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »

^ I got an email from him the other day where he touted that article - I was hoping he was announcing a campaign for something.  
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »

August 1st filing deadline means it could still happen.

He needs to get someone like Sandy Praeger or William Kassebaum to run with him for Governor. The moderate Republicans are the only way to win in Kansas.
So Sebelius was a twice-elected fluke?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

He's under 50 and he did pretty well in a conservative state in a very Republican year. A slight problem for him is that Paul Davis, a Democrat, did a little bit better, so he likely has right of first refusal.

The best bet for either of them would be to run for Governor when there's a Republican in the White House, or for the Senate in an open seat where an extremist Republican has a chance of winning the nomination.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »

Both times she ran with a Republican-turned-Democrat: John Moore and then Mark Parkinson.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »

Both times she ran with a Republican-turned-Democrat: John Moore and then Mark Parkinson.
How many voters know anything about their Lt. Governor?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies