DBWI: Wilson defeated Hughes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:00:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  DBWI: Wilson defeated Hughes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DBWI: Wilson defeated Hughes  (Read 699 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »

Would Wilson have ran for a third term in 1920? Would he have intervened in World War One or at least supply the Entente with loans and supplies?

I think at least one of his four successors, Hughes, Fairbanks, Cox, or Bryan, would have become President anyway.

((OOC: I'll keep a list of TTL's Preaidents in the OP for clarity's sake. Any unspecified number of years for a President and I'll decide:

1917-1923: Charles Hughes/Charles Fairbanks
1923-1929: VP Charles Fairbanks/Attorney General Charles Joseph Bonaparte
1929-1937: Governor James Cox/Governor Charles W. Bryan
1937-?: VP Charles W. Bryan/??
))
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »

I believe he would, I mean, after all, you can't have your ships sunk and your southern border threatened without going to war. No matter who got elected (except Benson), they would had gone into the war. Wilson would probably die in 1919 as he did OTL, and Marshall could had become president.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »

I believe he would, I mean, after all, you can't have your ships sunk and your southern border threatened without going to war. No matter who got elected (except Benson), they would had gone into the war. Wilson would probably die in 1919 as he did OTL, and Marshall could had become president.
I suppose I can see the Germans being more hostile to a Wilson administration. Would they really have gone through with their plans for warfare on neutral vessels post-1916 when the Kaiser opposed it IOTL?
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »

I suppose I can see the Germans being more hostile to a Wilson administration. Would they really have gone through with their plans for warfare on neutral vessels post-1916 when the Kaiser opposed it IOTL?

Huh, pretty good point. But still, Germany was a constitutional monarchy, and the Zimmermann telegram (a telegram written by Arthur Zimmermann but never sent, it was discovered last year) could had pushed Wilson, or at least the American public becoming accustom to it. Also, did you hear about the news? GOP nominee Jim Douglas said his VP pick will be tomorrow. Man, I am so excited!
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:20:59 AM »

How would the Kaiser be more antagonized by Wilson, the sham neutrality he proposed, than an outright Anglophile like Hughes?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:51:33 AM »

The Wilson isolationist myth needs to die. He'd probably suffer the stroke earlier while in office if he took us into war (which he would have just like Hughes) giving us President Marshall.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »

I don't understand the point. Wilson actually defeated Hughes and didn't run in 1920.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »

I'm assuming this is of an alternate timeline, but I'm not sure which one.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »

[Out of Character] In reply to the two posters above, "DBWI" means "Double Blind What If?", and it refers to asking a "what if?" question from the perspective of living in an alternate timeline. Ex. "DBWI: Kennedy assassinated?"
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:28:16 PM »

I don't understand the point. Wilson actually defeated Hughes and didn't run in 1920.
The Wilson isolationist myth needs to die. He'd probably suffer the stroke earlier while in office if he took us into war (which he would have just like Hughes) giving us President Marshall.
Hughes didn't take us into the war because, by the time Congress would even consider it, Germany was too close to Paris. He didn't care about France.

In retrospect, it may have been better if France had won so Rene Bousquet never came to power. Without that, we probably would never have had the Wars of the Coalition.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »

Hughes didn't take us into the war because, by the time Congress would even consider it, Germany was too close to Paris. He didn't care about France.

In retrospect, it may have been better if France had won so Rene Bousquet never came to power. Without that, we probably would never have had the Wars of the Coalition.

Yeah, about Bousquet, who would have been the German Bousquet? If we had gotten into the war, then Germany may had lost and a German Bousquet may appear.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:18:11 PM »

Karl Hanke, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolf Hess, Ernst Rohm, and Alfred Hugenberg would probably be the leaders of a major German nationalist party. Austria-Bohemia, including Slovenia, may have been controlled by the journalist/artist Adolf Hitler who had ties to Hess IIRC. Hermann Neubacher, Josef Leopold, and Hans Krebs.

I wonder what the Heydreich brothers would have done... I suspect Heinz, alongside Rommel and Schindler, would have lead the resistance. Reinhard was a very interesting person IOTL.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:51 AM »

a nonsensical question. america just doesn't reëlect presidents - you might as well ask "what if all the europeän nations formed a league and became permanent allies?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies