Stem Cell Research May No Longer Be a Moral Issue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:20:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Stem Cell Research May No Longer Be a Moral Issue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stem Cell Research May No Longer Be a Moral Issue  (Read 2825 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2005, 09:59:04 PM »

this could finally take one hot-button issue off the table:

Stem Cell Advances May Make Moral Issue Moot

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 6, 2005; Page A07

If only human embryonic stem cells could sprout anew from something other than a human embryo. Researchers could harvest them and perhaps harness their great biomedical potential without destroying what some consider to be a budding human life.

But like a low-calorie banana split or the proverbial free lunch, there is no such thing as an embryo-free embryonic stem cell.

Or is there?

In recent months, a number of researchers have begun to assemble intriguing evidence that it is possible to generate embryonic stem cells without having to create or destroy new human embryos.

The research is still young and largely unpublished, and in some cases it is limited to animal cells. Scientists doing the work also emphasize their desire to have continued access to human embryos for now. It is largely by analyzing how nature makes stem cells, deep inside days-old embryos, that these researchers are learning how to make the cells themselves.

Yet the gathering consensus among biologists is that embryonic stem cells are made, not born -- and that embryos are not an essential ingredient. That means that today's heated debates over embryo rights could fade in the aftermath of technical advances allowing scientists to convert ordinary cells into embryonic stem cells.

"That would really get around all the moral and ethical concerns," said James F. Battey, chief of the stem cell task force at the National Institutes of Health. The techniques under study qualify for federal grant support because embryos are not harmed, he noted. And eventually the work could boost the number of stem cell colonies, or lines, available for study by taxpayer-supported researchers.

link
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »

Umbilical cords.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 10:30:07 PM »

Could you elaborate?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »

I'm not morally opposed to it because of that. I'm morally opposed to taking taxpayer money and spending it on things that have nothing to do with justice -- the sole end with which the government should be concerned.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:36:39 PM »

I think scientists can harvest stem cells from umbilical cords. Can't confirm that, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 11:00:24 PM »

I think we should use the fetus, in principle, even if there is an alternative.  Defy the dark-ages types.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 12:28:53 AM »

I think scientists can harvest stem cells from umbilical cords. Can't confirm that, though.

I fairly certain they are very rich in stem cells. Something to look into definitely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell#Cord_blood_stem_cells
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 02:23:44 AM »

I fairly certain they are very rich in stem cells. Something to look into definitely.

whatever,t hat's not practical in, what, 90% of the cases?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 07:02:48 AM »

whatever,t hat's not practical in, what, 90% of the cases?

Well, the essential problem with getting stem cells from umbilical cords and placentas are that the stem cells they have are different than the kind you can get from embryos. Embryo stem cells can turn into any kind of human cell, but if I remember correctly the umbilical cord type has a more limited range of transformations. That's the rough idea, at least.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:50:09 AM »

Producing an embryo (okay, a heap of human plasma) with the inteintion of killing it is a lot worse than killing one you've produced accidentally.
And, unlike abortions, stem cell research is not going to happen anyways.
I'm 100% opposed to this stuff.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »

I'm 100 percent in support of stem-cell research and am glad that the UK and Europe is taking a lead on this issue.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 11:55:34 AM »

Problem with stem cell research from umbilical cords is that it has nowhere near as a great a level of potential as stem cells from embryos.

Embryonic stem cells are supposed to be the most versatile, though in recent years they have discovered hematopoietic stem cells which have almost if not the same potential (you will have to check up on this, was about six months that I did a load of research on stem cells).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 02:08:05 PM »

Producing an embryo (okay, a heap of human plasma) with the inteintion of killing it is a lot worse than killing one you've produced accidentally.
^^^^^

Reminds me vaguely of the machines that grew/harvested humans exclusively for energy in The Matrix.
Yeah, me too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

Obviously they should use whatever works best, and tell the Reagan hating Republicans to go screw themselves.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 03:25:51 PM »

Obviously they should use whatever works best, and tell the Reagan hating Republicans to go screw themselves.

I hope you are not arguing that they hate Reagan just because they are opposed to something that could have, in theory, saved his life or something? That's ridiculous.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 03:33:59 PM »

I hope you are not arguing that they hate Reagan just because they are opposed to something that could have, in theory, saved his life or something? That's ridiculous.

Nancy Reagan and Ronald Reagan Jr. are very pro-stem cell research.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 03:34:59 PM »

Nancy Reagan and Ronald Reagan Jr. are very pro-stem cell research.

And everyone who disagrees with them hates Ronald Reagan? That's ridiculous. It's a political opinion, not hatred.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 03:55:55 PM »

Reagan was probably the most pro-life president we've had.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »

You do realize he legalized abortion (at least I think he did) when he was governor of California, don't you? 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 04:58:38 PM »

I'm greatly bothered at the politicization of science.  I favor both umbilical cord stem cell and embryonic stem cell research.  My only prohibition would be on the cloning of cells to get the stem cells to experiment on.

I'm bothered by how those who favor embryonic stem cell research want to belittle umbilical cord research.  Need i be the 1,000th person to point out that umbilical cord research as already saved lives, while embryonic research's potential is purely speculative?  And I am equally bothered at how those who oppose embryonic research and want to substitute umbilical cord research for it overstate their claims on how effective their preferred treatment is, as if all the things that could be done with embryonic cells could be just as easily done with umbilical cells.

Too much politics, not enough ethics and science.  Saw Robert George on C-SPAN, a very impressive man, and a member of The President's Council on Bioethics.  One would do well to look him up, though we don't always agree.  Its nice to find a bit of seriousness now and then.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 05:06:25 PM »

I'm greatly bothered at the politicization of science.  I favor both umbilical cord stem cell and embryonic stem cell research.  My only prohibition would be on the cloning of cells to get the stem cells to experiment on.

I'm bothered by how those who favor embryonic stem cell research want to belittle umbilical cord research.  Need i be the 1,000th person to point out that umbilical cord research as already saved lives, while embryonic research's potential is purely speculative?  And I am equally bothered at how those who oppose embryonic research and want to substitute umbilical cord research for it overstate their claims on how effective their preferred treatment is, as if all the things that could be done with embryonic cells could be just as easily done with umbilical cells.

Too much politics, not enough ethics and science.  Saw Robert George on C-SPAN, a very impressive man, and a member of The President's Council on Bioethics.  One would do well to look him up, though we don't always agree.  Its nice to find a bit of seriousness now and then.

Same here. Its understandable but unfortunate.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 09:25:48 PM »

You do realize he legalized abortion (at least I think he did) when he was governor of California, don't you? 

This was prior to Roe. The sponsor of the bill said he'd make any change necessary in order to get him to sign it. He said it would have acknowledge that abortion was the taking of a human life, and that it could only be justified in our Judeo-Christian tradition as self-defense: in other words, exception for life and rape.

That's what he signed.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 03:27:04 PM »

I disagree.  I think it's a non-moral issue only among academics and government researchers.  With scientific detachment, and sheer academic interest, you can discuss stem cell research.  This particular scientist may fancy himself diplomatic and politically wise, but when he tries to get funding, he immediately puts on his moralist's hat and talks about applications.  Watching Michael J. Fox discuss autism and the benefits of stem cell research to that cause results in a moral reaction among many, who will immediately support federal funding.  In fact, it is very much moralism that causes people to support most federal funding of medicine.  I understand that one's person's morality may not be the same as another's, and there is certainly a subset of the population for whom moralism actually pits them against federal funding of stem cell research, but it must be borne in mind that there is another huge subset (probably the larger of the two), for whom, if explained well, the prospect of federal funding any medical research elicits a moral reaction in favor of the research.  What I'm saying is that the "detached scientist" is the exception, not the rule.  And most folks will have some strong moral feeling about this issue that overrides the usual economic concerns, whether or not the word embryo or fetus even arises in the discussion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 07:24:08 PM »

I disagree.  I think it's a non-moral issue only among academics and government researchers.  With scientific detachment, and sheer academic interest, you can discuss stem cell research.  This particular scientist may fancy himself diplomatic and politically wise, but when he tries to get funding, he immediately puts on his moralist's hat and talks about applications.  Watching Michael J. Fox discuss autism and the benefits of stem cell research to that cause results in a moral reaction among many, who will immediately support federal funding.  In fact, it is very much moralism that causes people to support most federal funding of medicine.  I understand that one's person's morality may not be the same as another's, and there is certainly a subset of the population for whom moralism actually pits them against federal funding of stem cell research, but it must be borne in mind that there is another huge subset (probably the larger of the two), for whom, if explained well, the prospect of federal funding any medical research elicits a moral reaction in favor of the research.  What I'm saying is that the "detached scientist" is the exception, not the rule.  And most folks will have some strong moral feeling about this issue that overrides the usual economic concerns, whether or not the word embryo or fetus even arises in the discussion.

Don't you think the desire to have cures for their various ailments is the reason people advocate government spending on health research?  Sounds pretty practical and self-interested to me, not 'moralism' at all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies