Why do the Democrats...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:23:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Why do the Democrats...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do the Democrats...  (Read 1443 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »

have so many more delegates than the Republicans (like 2 to 1)?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »

Superdelegates are part of it.  Other than that, probably just different rules.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »

I don't know why but this has always been the case since at least the Primary process was opened up for the 1972 Presidential election, so if you want to find out the reason you probably have to go back to when the rules were being rewritten for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination process by George McGovern and his fellow commissioners following the 1968 convention.   At one time there were even half delegates which I first heard about in 1984 at the age of 13 and that concept totally confused me at the time and brought up images from horror movies.
Desroko
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »

I don't know why but this has always been the case since at least the Primary process was opened up for the 1972 Presidential election, so if you want to find out the reason you probably have to go back to when the rules were being rewritten for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination process by George McGovern and his fellow commissioners following the 1968 convention.   At one time there were even half delegates which I first heard about in 1984 at the age of 13 and that concept totally confused me at the time and brought up images from horror movies.

Half delegates were a thing for over a hundred years. It let state parties reward more loyalists, and to pack the convention hall. They've been disappearing pretty steadily over the last few decades - on the Dem side only Dems Abroad awarded half delegates this cycle. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »

Half delegates were a thing for over a hundred years. It let state parties reward more loyalists, and to pack the convention hall. They've been disappearing pretty steadily over the last few decades - on the Dem side only Dems Abroad awarded half delegates this cycle. 

Thanks, I did not know that.  When I first heard them mentioned in 1984 I believe my first thought was 'I wouldn't be cut in half even to get to vote in a Presidential nominating convention.'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies